Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Fumigation for potentially affected luggage

(10 posts)
  1. yikes_bugs

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jul 13 2016 12:18:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I was on a vacation to a cousin's place. On the day I was coming back we realized they had bed bugs in one room. They did not know this either since both the folks sleeping in the room were non reactors. I have 5 big luggage bags that I got from there. For now I have kept them outside my apartment for the night. Now I am moving them into thick plastic bags and moving to a storage area. Over the weekend I plan to take them to paratex (parataex dot com) fumigation center in Seattle.

Is this a good idea? Once I get them fumigated, I will wash all the clothes and dry in hot water and dryer for double precaution. Will this work or I need to take more precaution? Has anyone worked with the above company

2. GeekOnTheHill

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jul 13 2016 13:41:06
    #

Login to Send PM

yikes_bugs - 1 hour ago  » 
    I was on a vacation to a cousin's place. On the day I was coming back we realized they had bed bugs in one room. They did not know this either since both the folks sleeping in the room were non reactors. I have 5 big luggage bags that I got from there. For now I have kept them outside my apartment for the night. Now I am moving them into thick plastic bags and moving to a storage area. Over the weekend I plan to take them to paratex (parataex dot com) fumigation center in Seattle.
    Is this a good idea? Once I get them fumigated, I will wash all the clothes and dry in hot water and dryer for double precaution. Will this work or I need to take more precaution? Has anyone worked with the above company

I have no experience with them, but I used to do some fumigation and was certified for it, and I think it should be fine. Vault fumigation is very easy to do (for a professional, that is) and is almost always effective.

Richard

3. yikes_bugs

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jul 14 2016 19:30:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Geek.
    Anyone else who has experience with fumigation and bed bugs and can share their experience. Thanks

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 15 2016 0:56:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Vikane fumigation can effective, but are you fumigating the luggage while it's tightly packed with clothing? Or empty? If the former, does the company guarantee their work under those conditions?

I am not an expert on Vikane by a long shot but these are questions you should ask.

Drying clothing on hot alone will work for already-clean items and a hot wash and hot dry are also effective.

Luggage can also be treated with bed bug ovens such as the Packtite Closet and in a sealed airtight container with DDVP strips. See: http://Bedbugger.com/useful-tools/

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. yikes_bugs

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 15 2016 19:15:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank nobugs

I am planning to fumigate luggage with clothes although they are not tightly packed. The fumigator said that ll bugs should die. I don't care about the warranty because of the fumigation fails I am screwed anyways.

I can use packtite because I have bigger luggage, the one you have to check in.

Can I just wash/dry the clothes and then put luggage in thick construction grade large bags, tie a tight note and use the Nuvan strips? Will that work?

6. GeekOnTheHill

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 15 2016 23:19:03
    #

Login to Send PM

yikes_bugs - 3 hours ago  » 
    Thank nobugs
    I am planning to fumigate luggage with clothes although they are not tightly packed. The fumigator said that ll bugs should die. I don't care about the warranty because of the fumigation fails I am screwed anyways.
    I can use packtite because I have bigger luggage, the one you have to check in.
    Can I just wash/dry the clothes and then put luggage in thick construction grade large bags, tie a tight note and use the Nuvan strips? Will that work?

What I'd be more concerned about with regard to fumigating packed suitcases would be the effects on desorption time. That refers to the time needed for the toxicant vapor to "air out" and leave the treated items. The suitcase itself could slow desorption, depending on what it's made of, which would in effect retain the Vikane in the contents for a longer time.

If I were you, I'd have the fumigator treat the bags empty, and you treat the clothes either by washing and drying or with the DDVP strips. I'd personally use washing and drying because I prefer non-chemical approaches when they'll work.

If you do use DDVP strips, note that the label calls for an "airing-out" period of at least two hours after treatment. Personally, I'd wash the clothes after the treatment. I used enough dichlorvos back in the day to know that the odor can hang around in your clothes for a lot longer than two hours. I couldn't wait to take a shower and change my clothes when I got home.

Richard

7. yikes_bugs

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jul 16 2016 1:14:19
    #

Login to Send PM

If I were you, I'd have the fumigator treat the bags empty, and you treat the clothes either by washing and drying or with the DDVP strips. I'd personally use washing and drying because I prefer non-chemical approaches when they'll work.

Thanks Geek on the hill. I want to request a clarification. If I use DDVP strips for clothes and luggage together and then take out the clothes and wash them, do i still need to fumigate the baggage or DDVP strips will be enough.

my luggage are all cloth luggage and not the hard case ones.

The process I am thinking:

1. Take all clothes that can be washed to laundormat and either wash/dry or just dry
    2. All clothes and other stuff like books, kids toys etc remain in the suitcase
    3. The suitcase goes in black construction grade trash bags
    4. Hang DDVP strips on suitcases with zips open and put smaller strips in suitcase pockets.

Anything else I should change? In this case I dont need fumigation at all.

8. Montrealer2

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jul 16 2016 4:19:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Yikes_Bugs,
    I am not an expert, but my non-expert opinion is that I like your process. My only question/suggestion is NOT to DDVP your clothes if you are going to be hot-washing/hot-drying anyway. Just seal the cloth luggage and unwashables in airtight bags with the DDVP strips. And also make sure that if you insists on putting anything in the suitcase, that items are not packed closely/tightly: DDVP has to be able flow freely to get into every nook and cranny in order for the hiding BBs and their beastly eggs to "breathe" the chemicals over an extended period. It's similar to heat treatment in that way - the hot air has to flow because anything that gets hot but not hot "enough" won't do the trick.
    Probably best to leave suitcases open and have other items scattered in various bags.
    Again, my non-expert opinion.
    Good luck!

9. GeekOnTheHill

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jul 16 2016 7:48:19
    #

Login to Send PM

You can treat the luggage with DDVP if you like, but I don't understand why you want to treat it with the clothing still inside. Loosely-packed, non-washable items like toys are shoes are fine; but if you're going to make a massive laundry run anyway, then why keep any clothes in the luggage at all?

To answer your question, however, yes, if the clothes were very loosely packed, they could be treated while inside cloth luggage using Nuvan strips. I'm just not sure why you want to do that.

Note that the label suggests 72-hour exposure for exposed staged and seven days for eggs. Also note that the bags have to be airtight when sealed, and must be kept away from children, pets, or other animals (for example, mice in a garage) to prevent accidental tearing of the bags during the DDVP fumigation.

Read and carefully follow the label instructions. Even though the slow release of DDVP in resin strips reduces the hazard, dichlorvos is still a serious product that must be used with care.

Richard

10. yikes_bugs

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jul 16 2016 13:22:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Appreciate the responses. Very helpful and actually gives me the confidence to do this on my own. So Thank You

but I don't understand why you want to treat it with the clothing still inside.

I was only referring to the clothes that cannot be laundered like my suit. My wife has some heavy embroidered clothes that even many dry cleaners dont know what to do with. So I am thinking of just DDVP'ing them.

I also have some questions. I was thinking if I can avoid doing a run to the laundromat since I have to load the clothes in my car that may infect the car.

Whats the best way to get laundry from the storage room to my apartment drier without dropping any bugs.

I read the FAQ's and its suggested that I can use double trash bags. I am still concerned that as I move the clothes from trash bag to drier I may drop some. Am I just being paranoid and a little carefulness will avoid this?

Whats the best way to measure temperature in the drier by stopping drier intermittently and then inserting a thermometer

I dont think I found anything specific in the FAQ's. But in some discussions it was suggested that I can buy an instant thermomemter and insert it deep in the clothes in 10-15 minutes. This is supposed to be better than infrared ones. ANy insights?

Also I dont need the luggage for months now and they are in storage in the basement of the apartment building. Its costing me 100 bucks a month for storage but I feel its worth the hassle. I will keep Nuvan strips for atleast 42 days and then air it out for two weeks. Sounds like a good plan?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,179 posts in 50,132 topics over 155 months by 21,917 of 22,411 members. Latest: ij430jf, patbb, Peachyy92