(16 posts)
  1. LosAngelesBugs

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Aug 31 2008 19:19:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, Everyone.

I just discovered BB's about 10 days ago in my apartment, and am too exhausted even to rant. I've pretty much decided to move. I plan to bag, wrap, and dust everything and put it in storage for 18 months. I figure, that way, if I get re-infested, it will be much easier to fight with far few possessions. However, among all the other terrible decisions I have to make, I have to decide what to do with my brand new Imac. It's the center of my life and I can't do without it for that long. The mind reels at the idea of having to buy a second one.

The Pest Control man is coming for the second time tomorrow, and I thought of asking him to spray directly into the computer. If we did that a couple of weeks in a row and then bagged it till I got to my new place, would that do the trick? Or would that just fry the computer? Also, what happens if DE gets into your computer or keyboard. I'm rolling in the stuff right now. Are there any manufacturer's recommendations for fumigating computers?

Also, I've seen many references here to Vikane treatment. I gather it's the treatment of choice for all your belongings. Are there places you can take single items (like a computer) to have them Vikane treated? How about your car?

Thanks-in-advance for your help. And thank goodness your site is here. It helped bring me back from the insane place I was at a few days ago.

2. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Aug 31 2008 21:10:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I ended up going with a thermal treatment instead of Vikane, so even though I'm in your neck of the woods, I don't know about Vikane places around here.

Honestly, when it came to the car, I seriously contemplated simply driving out to someplace like El Centro or Palm Springs or something and just parking the car in direct sunlight on a hot day.

I used a meat thermometer in my car to find out how hot it got, and in the LA Basin at 85 degrees, the temp inside my car (Which is admittedly a dark color exterior) easily reached and stayed at 140 degrees.

Thermal death point for BB is 140 degrees for 4 hours. Having been out to the Colorado River where the air temp regularly reaches 120 in the summer, I'm pretty sure parking your car in the direct sun out there would warm it up plenty.

I'm not sure I'd try that elsewhere, but since BB are most affected by really hot, really dry air, we sort of have the perfect climate for that.

It might be worth investing in a BB dog to save yourself the trauma and anguish of worrying about the car and the computer. I know someone out here used one. The name of the company was Isopest? Isotherm? Iso something. Ah ha! Here it is:

http://www.isotechpest.com/bed_bug.asp

I will probably pay out of pocket to have them come out and inspect my place shortly before the warranty on my current treatment runs out.

3. sleepingstandingup

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Aug 31 2008 21:35:48
    #

Login to Send PM

i covered my car in black sheets and left it sitting in the sun on several 98 degree days for 8 or more hours. Nothing could have survived in there. Even if it is not that hot, having a black sheet over it will certainly raise the temp. As far as the computer, I don't know if high temp will hurt it, if not, put it in the car to cook also. I also used this for items that could not be washed, making sure the items were spread out so that the heat could penetrate and maintain a sustained high temp for over a long enough time to kill the bug or eggs.

4. BakedBedBugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Aug 31 2008 22:52:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Look up the Thermapure folks:
    http://www.thermapure.com

They have a few licensees in your area. I treat laptops and computers in virtually every home I thermally treat and have yet to have any damages reported.
    Best of luck!
    Tony

5. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Aug 31 2008 23:10:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Spray the inside of your computer and you will likely kill it.

Lloyds pest control in San Diego does Vikane in a chamber.

Check the specs on the Imac for its maximum storage temperature.

Oops found it real easy. Notice the "Storage Temperature" is 185F. Well above the death point for bugs so thermal would be a reasonably safe option.

http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/

High heat is gonna take a toll on your battery life expectancy over the long term.

Hey Tony do you know if any do a chamber thing also?

Jim

6. BakedBedBugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Sep 1 2008 0:15:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I do, but I'm not sure if the other licensees do. Good question. I'll ask around a bit.
    Tony

7. LosAngelesBugs

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Sep 1 2008 1:30:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow,

What a lot of good tips. I definitely won't let anyone spray into the computer. I will also follow up on the options mentioned. Tonight, I'm furiously ripping things out of cabinets for the spraying, tomorrow.

Thanks, All.

8. bittenandtired

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Sep 1 2008 2:01:52
    #

Login to Send PM

'Hey Tony do you know if any do a chamber thing also?'

Huh?

I'm thinking thermal would be a good way for us to go, we've got chemical sensitivities in the house. Can a whole structure be done?

I found someone in our area on the thermapure site. I'll give them a call, but any heads up from those that know here would be greatly appreciated.

TIA -

9. Cantfindthem

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Sep 1 2008 2:38:08
    #

Login to Send PM

LAB,

I left my laptop in my car in a black plastic bag for two weeks. The internal temp of the car (according to a laser thermometer-i.e. a heat gun) was in a range of approximately 135-138F. About four days ago I opened my laptop and saw no signs of bed bugs and/or eggs.

10. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Sep 1 2008 10:30:48
    #

Login to Send PM

bittenandtired,

I used thermal treatment and was very happy with the results. Search the forums for posts with the thermal tag and you should find my post about treatment. It's now been over 55 days since the single treatment, and I'm still bug free.

I believe that they can do a whole structure. I don't know what the upper end size is, but calling the folks in your area that you found may give you more info.

11. jamie987

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Mar 14 2011 19:48:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I think you asked about computers / laptops.. and about treating them... but I'm too tired to read all the above posts

If you did ask, then here's what I did with my laptop:

I put my laptop through a packtite last night, then let it cool off, and today I am using it and it's working just fine. I own an IBM Lenovo Thinkpad...

I wrapped it in a backpack that was slightly open... this kept the temperature from changing too quickly (if a laptop is left inside the packtite without anything around it, it will quickly reach the killing temperature of 120 degrees- which is good -but then it will quickly reach really high temperatures that are bad for laptops....... if you wrap it in a bag, it will heat up more slowly, so it'll take like an hour to get up to 120 degrees, then like another hour to get up to 140-ish degrees... that second hour is where the bed bugs die). I put the temperature sensor inside my laptop as best I could through my DVD drive (be careful with this).

I did put my laptop battery in too... but this is highly NOT recommended.. batteries can explode. I was just dumb and luckily it worked out (I risked it because the warning on my batter said not to expose to 100 degrees Celsius.. and the packtite never got that hot... still.. batteries WILL violently explode and hurt people).

If you do any of this, do at your own financial and health risk and be careful.

[Admin note: putting your computer through a Packtite is not recommended, may cause damage or destroy it. Doing so and including the battery is a very bad idea.]

12. jamie987

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Mar 14 2011 19:48:44
    #

Login to Send PM

oh and fumigation is probably safer.. just takes longer.

13. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Mar 14 2011 19:59:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs die between ~105F and ~125F, depending on duration of exposure (key is that you actually need to overcome an object's insulation/cool pockets and get the bug or egg to the "desired" temperature). Here's info from U of FL, which I posted a few months back:
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/how-hot-how-long-how-dead
    100 minutes at 106F
    25 minutes at 109F
    4 minutes at 113F
    2 minutes at 117F
    1 minute at 120F

So, for those who feel the need to bake electronics, I wish packtite or similar devices had a "delicates" setting that would run cooler and slower, but reduce the risk of damage.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  14. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Mar 14 2011 21:26:10
    #

Login to Send PM

cilecto - 1 hour ago  » 
    Bed bugs die between ~105F and ~125F, depending on duration of exposure (key is that you actually need to overcome an object's insulation/cool pockets and get the bug or egg to the "desired" temperature). Here's info from U of FL, which I posted a few months back:
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/how-hot-how-long-how-dead
    100 minutes at 106F
    25 minutes at 109F
    4 minutes at 113F
    2 minutes at 117F
    1 minute at 120F
    So, for those who feel the need to bake electronics, I wish packtite or similar devices had a "delicates" setting that would run cooler and slower, but reduce the risk of damage.

Sounds like a lot of math.

Just download a picture of me onto your computer. Works great as a repellent.

15. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 15 2011 15:56:49
    #

Login to Send PM

common, that was funny

16. so unsettling

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Mar 15 2011 17:05:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Chuckle, Chuckle. Yes, that was funny. I know it brought a grin to everyone's face as they sat here reading this old shit. Always great to smile when on this most miserable of sites

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,431 posts in 48,820 topics over 151 months by 21,437 of 21,839 members. Latest: bedbugtoronto, stinson, WendyW