Friends with major infestation problem

(9 posts)
  1. timmarilyn

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jan 5 2012 3:34:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a good friend that has a very serious infestation of bed bugs. They are truly the filthiest family I know, even outside of the bed bugs (I know BB do not = filth). This family has 5 children and 3 adults living in the house, therefore there is a lot of 'stuff'. They are very poor and do not have the mean to throw everything out and get new furniture, (and clothes, blankets, etc....) They do not have the money for an exterminator. (Neither do I, or I would pay for this for them). At this point the infestation has grown to extreme proportions. There mattresses look like a scene on the show Infested. I really feel for their children, and it has come to a point that when their kids come to stay at my house with my children I have had to send them back home because there were so many bugs in their overnight bags (I have been searching them and making them shower while I wash all their stuff in the past before the infestation got as bad as it is now). I just don't know what to tell them, or how I can help. There has to be a way to solve this, especially with all these kids who are affected.

2. Alberta has bugs

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jan 5 2012 4:04:33
    #

Login to Send PM

This is a real sad story and I must imagine hard to deal with.
    Is it possible for this family to motivate to clean as a result or is this the result because they have no motivation to clean up?
    Is it possible for them get help to fight this from a charitable agency?

I would imagine childrens services being involved if it goes on much longer or if the kids are found at school with bed bugs constantly.

Either way you are in the middle of a hard problem that involves a very good friend.
    Hopefully somebody will be able to post some practical advice for you.

3. blargg

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jan 5 2012 8:39:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Just because they're poor, that doesn't mean they can't inspect/vacuum. They can afford some rubbing alcohol, can't they? With extreme care, you can use rubbing alcohol for contact killing.

4. BugsInTO

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jan 6 2012 13:37:47
    #

Login to Send PM

People live in unclean & unsafe conditions for many different reasons. Do you have any insight into your friend's circumstances? Poverty alone is probably not the only contributing factor.

If your friend actually believes the bedbugs are an issue that needs to be addressed, then you can help by looking for support services, as suggested by Alberta above. Sometimes things get out of control and then people with limited resources can't get back on track without assistance. If they are tenants, their landlord might be responsible for treating, but if their living quarters are so horrible, they would be afraid to let the landlord in. So, the situation just gets worse.

Protect yourself from getting the bedbugs, but I also feel for the kids too. It must be difficult to stand by and see kids in those circumstances.

5. Alberta has bugs

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jan 6 2012 22:13:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Well said TO.

Timmarilyn, if you don't mind, keep us updated on the situation.

6. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jan 6 2012 22:34:35
    #

Login to Send PM

ALL,

While I don't really want to lecture here, unless you've worked at infested subsidized or modest multi-family housing locations it is difficult to imagine or understand the parameters and conditions that some people live under.

Solutions and options that seem simple and easy for others are inaccessible to others and the socio-economic hurdles may be insurmountable for these folks.

It may be difficult to understand that these folks don't have, nor can they afford a suitable vacuum. Yet they live in a home that needs thousands of dollars or more worth of bed bug work.

In some instances horrible would be an understatement.

Paul B.

7. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Jan 6 2012 23:06:51
    #

Login to Send PM

There have been some posts by people in public housing that are heart-breaking. There are people who can't afford rubbing alcohol.

I don't think there's been a link to this newscast from a year ago. Minneapolis has a program that raised $300,000 for bed bug heat treatment. The house in this newscast is neat, but it would have cost $6,000 to fix it. This means the $300,000 may be 50 homes or less (it would be more in houses with clutter if I understand correctly).

The newscast said they tried ripping up carpet and sprays.

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/905320/391/Bedbugs-take-over-home-in-Minneapolis

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  8. Alberta has bugs

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jan 7 2012 0:16:37
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello - 1 hour ago  » 
    ALL,
    While I don't really want to lecture here, unless you've worked at infested subsidized or modest multi-family housing locations it is difficult to imagine or understand the parameters and conditions that some people live under.
    Solutions and options that seem simple and easy for others are inaccessible to others and the socio-economic hurdles may be insurmountable for these folks.
    It may be difficult to understand that these folks don't have, nor can they afford a suitable vacuum. Yet they live in a home that needs thousands of dollars or more worth of bed bug work.
    In some instances horrible would be an understatement.
    Paul B.

AB has bugs:
    Paul I understand what you are saying.
    I think in this economy, many people get it, how people fall into a trap.
    There are still good organizations and agency's out there that may help.
    It is an unfortunate story and I think everyone is hoping for the best for these people and their friend.

9. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Jan 7 2012 0:26:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Well said, Alberta...so sad for the kids especially. And, as a parent (like TimMarilyn), it must be hard to see these kids suffer and yet you are trying to keep your own kids safe.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,447 posts in 46,579 topics over 142 months by 20,544 of 21,410 members. Latest: itchymama4, PrismArc, unclejohn