Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Friend with bed bugs rode in my car

(3 posts)
  1. MrsB76

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 30 2015 22:39:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I'm new to the site. A friend of mine rode in my car today with purse, blanket, pillow. While we were driving she told me that she has what sounds like a major bed bug infestation in her apartment--like bugs coming out of the woodwork with blood that comes out of them when she squishes them!

She also hugged my children and her daughter (who lives in a different house from her) rode in my child's booster seat in the car.

I don't want to panic but I also don't want us to get infested.

So far, we stripped at back door, put all our clothes/shoes in black garbage bag and the kids showered.

Anything else we can/should do to prevent infestation?

It's really hot here--100+ degrees each day for the near future. Will that be enough to kill anything that hitched a ride in the car or booster seats?

Thanks so much and I appreciate your feedback!

2. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jul 1 2015 3:31:54
    #

Login to Send PM

You need to have a frank discussion with your friend and ask what precautions she took before putting these items in your car.

As for your concerns, wait for someone with more experience with bb and cars. They do make passive monitors for cars. No, I don't think the heat alone would kill bb... It has to reach 120 degrees I believe (I'm not an expert). Thing is, if she brought any in, they might seek cooler areas in your car.

Wait for an expert, but do be upfront and ask your "friend" what precautions she took...and hope she's honest. 😐

I'm not an expert just a dumb struggling bed bugger like every body else.
  3. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jul 1 2015 9:04:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Mrs; While we were driving she told me that she has what sounds like a major bed bug infestation in her apartment--like bugs coming out of the woodwork with blood that comes out of them when she squishes them!
    ----------------------------------
    Did your friend say she has bed bugs or is that just your interpretation of what she said? The first thing I would want to know is if she has a confirmed case of bed bugs. If she hasn't already, I would urge her to have a professional come in for an evaluation.

As for your car, leaving it out in the heat, even at those temperatures, is unreliable because there may be cold spots the bed bugs could flee to. That said, I would think a single ride in a car is low risk, depending on the extent of your friend's infestation (and precautions) assuming your friend actually has an infestation. Others may have a different opinion regarding the car.

There are ways to treat cars if deemed necessary. A new product, Nuvan Directed Spray Aerosol has been been spoken of favorably here by pros for vehicle treatment. Steam will also kill bed bugs on contact.

Richard

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,666 posts in 48,867 topics over 151 months by 21,454 of 21,857 members. Latest: frejohansen, Bedbugs47, Ccronk22@gmail.com