Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

Friend selling infested bed frame on Facebook!!

(6 posts)
  1. 23valleyforge

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Jun 3 2019 15:49:17
    #

Login to Send PM

So yesterday a friend calls me to see if she can sell her bed frame in my garage sale. I'm like, sure. She brings it over, my husband and son and I help her unload it and put it in my garage, and then we sit down and start talking. An hour in, she tells me she can't go back to work until the end of June because she has bedbugs. Alarmed, I asked if she thoroughly and meticulously cleaned the bed frame. She said yes. But I was so mad. I refused to hug her when she left. She should've told me, because I would've said no to the bed frame.

I knew next to nothing about bedbugs. Did some research. By next morning at 5am, I'm moving that bed frame outta my garage and told her to come pick it up! She said, "nope", and then she wouldn't come pick it up. I had to move it myself to the side of my house. And she said she has a prospective buyer, whom she has not told that she has a bedbug infestation. She told me she cleaned the bed frame... yeah I can see bedbug poop all over the frame, and just now I went and gave a closer look at the frame ... eggs. EVERYWHERE. Poop trails. Shed exoskeletons. OMG.

Come to find out, she's known about having a bug infestation for a month. She's been over to my house at least 3 times. Never told me. Now she's telling me that she told the buyer about the bugs, and the buyer still wants the bed. Great! But the buyer's neighbors have not consented to a bedbug infestation. And I tried explaining this to my friend, but she truly doesn't seem to understand the implications.

THIS IS HOW EPIDEMICS START!

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Jun 3 2019 16:07:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Life is grand, no?
    When is trash day?

3. 23valleyforge

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Jun 3 2019 16:27:07
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 14 minutes ago  » 
    Life is grand, no?
    When is trash day?

Friday. I moved the bed frame to the curb, threw away the heavy duty rubber gloves I wore to move it, and all my clothes and tennis shoes went into a bag and into the washer, and I took a hot shower.

And she truly doesn't seem to understand how an outbreak starts, nor gore important her role in eliminating the infestation is. I don't trust her now, and I can't believe she knowingly exposed me and my family.

4. lalmaroad

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Jun 3 2019 17:21:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Sounds like the end of a friendship to me!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
  5. 23valleyforge

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon Jun 3 2019 19:10:11
    #

Login to Send PM

lalmaroad - 1 hour ago  » 
    Sounds like the end of a friendship to me!

Nah. It's the beginning of a forced bedbug education and boundaries setting!

Currently washing all my clothing.......

6. 23valleyforge

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Jun 4 2019 7:01:41
    #

Login to Send PM

So the drama just got worse.

My friend who exposed us is mentally ill. She has multiple diagnoses, Ann's in the last 6 months has been admitted to a mental hospital 8 times. Last night she called me to say that she was checking herself into the hospital again.

Horrified, I asked who was going to continue working on cleaning and bagging their apartment. She said she was trusting her husband to do so. He also has severe mental illness, and in the past when she's been hospitalized, he hasn't showered or cleaned or done dishes or anything. Of the two of them, she's the higher functioning one.

Which now means I cannot go anywhere the two of them have frequented. I feel horrible for the company he works for because they do not know about the infestation. He is a security guard and can be taking bugs or eggs with him on his clothing, shoes, uniform to the office building where gfree works.

I feel bad for them that this has happened. And I understand how completely and truly overwhelming it is. It would be horribly overwhelming for someone of normal mental capacity. But with diminished capacity, it's not surprising that eradication may never actually happen now that bedbugs have taken root. I don't know that I can ever truly trust being safe from accidental egg contact, because they both are not fastidious about their laundry, leaving it on beds, couches, chairs, and floor. Especially floor.

I tried calling the local cdc office, and they suggested calling the state health board. The board says their call volume was high and to call back another time or email them. πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈπŸ€¦β€β™€οΈπŸ€¦β€β™€οΈπŸ€¦β€β™€οΈπŸ˜±πŸ˜±πŸ˜±πŸ˜±

Are there no authorities who can step in during a situation like this? I just am flabbergasted that thew landlord was shrugging it off and not concerned that the bugs are going to spread to another apartment; although as bad as thew infestation is, it's unlikely the other tenants haven't been affected.

*sigh* ..... back to washing laundry....

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,690 posts in 49,530 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982