Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Frequent bites but no other signs of bedbugs. Help!

(8 posts)
  1. Irritated

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Nov 11 2007 0:18:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Within the past 2 weeks, I started to receive a few bites at night on my legs, waist, and arms. I notice the itch and redness when I shower in the morning.

At first I thought I had scabies but my Dr says no. I am worried that I have bedbugs.

I stay in hotels about 100 nights a year for work and fear I brought some bugs home but I have never been bitten at a hotel.

I have never seen a bug on the bed. On several occassions, I have gone over every inch of bedding, the mattress, and the boxspring and have not seen a bug, a fecal spot, or blood. I have used a flashlight to look on all areas of the wood bedframe during the day and at night. I don't find anything.

Last night even though I was covered from toe to neck, I had bites on each shoulder near my armpits. Do they actually sneak under your clothes?

It is time to call a pest control company or should I wait and see?

Also do freezing temperatures kill them? For example, if an infested item is moved from a 70 degree room to a winter night outside below freezing?

2. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Nov 11 2007 0:41:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry you are here, but good that you are asking questions. It does sound that it may be bedbugs due to the amount that you travel.
    Bed bugs are Very difficult to find even for he experts. To answer your question on if they can bite under your clothes...yes.
    I would start looking for a good experienced PCO that has much experience in bed bugs.
    A regular PCO can only make matters worse if you do have them.
    Examine the FAQs on this site on what to look for in a good PCO. After you interview a few, pick the best one you feel comfortable with and have them come and inspect.
    If it is bed bugs, try to do this as soon as you can for they multiply very quickly. The sooner you get some one in there to inspect and possibly treat the better. DOn't try to treat yourself if you do have them. It will just make it harder to rid 100%.
    If you are suspecting bed bugs, try to go to sleep with a flash light and set the alarm for about 3-4am. Put the flash light on and take a look at the bed. If you do this with white sheets it makes seeing the bugs and the tell tale signs of bugs much much easier.
    White sheets will show signs (like small blood spots and black pepper like specs) that are easily over looked with a print.
    Study the FAQS..there is alot of very very good information there.
    Freezing works if you put an infested item such as a book in a deep comercial freezer and leave it there, unopened for a long time (like 3 weeks)
    The degrees of how muc hbelo zero and how fast the temperature drops has alot to do with it from what I hear. I think leaving something out in the winter weather or in a regular freezer is much to risky and probably wouldn't work.
    Ask as many questions as you like, there are many people here that can help.
    But I would get an experienced PCO in there for an inspection as soon as possible.

3. kraystone

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Nov 11 2007 2:50:43
    #

Login to Send PM

My first set of bites were actually under clothing. But later they are all on exposed skin. I never found the bugs until the experts came and spot the adult and nymph at the corner of my box spring.

I already had 2 treatments and the guys never found anything in the apartment. Yet, I'm still being bitten. They hide really well!

4. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Nov 11 2007 7:58:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Are your mattresses covered? Make sure there are no little holes or tears in them. That happens very easly when the mattresses are moved around for treatment.
    Have the units around yours been inspected and/or treated?
    It's not uncommon to take 3-4 treatments to fully rid the bugs.
    Yes the bugs DO hide very well.
    If you think they may be coming in from other units, I woudl suggest caulkin as much as possible.
    Good luck and try to get the PCO to come back every two weeks.
    Psst....Love the Comic by the way! thanks

5. Irritated

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Nov 11 2007 19:19:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will call a couple of pest control places tomorrow. I assume the pesticides they use are relatively safe to have in contact with skin once they are dry.

The mattress and box springs are not covered. Should I wait to cover them until after someone sprays?

I think I want to have every room upstairs sprayed and also my livingroom and sofa. I live in a row home not an apartment. Homes are seperated by brick walls and there are no obvious connections between homes.

6. BBsBlow

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Nov 11 2007 19:39:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Be aware that while they may be "safe" for skin, some of the chemicals they use smell horrific. I have to leave my apartment for days for it to air out. I don't want to breathe this stuff.

7. Bites44

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Nov 11 2007 19:58:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Irritated. sorry for your state of affairs. Yes, you can be bitten and not see much. I happened to surprise two nymphs when I was searching for bugs, and they were on a desk under a heavy fabric woven cover. I have seen one under my pillow during the night. I got a new metal bed frame and new box spring mattress and encased both the box spring and mattress in supposedly bug proof encasements. I did the vaseline trick for the frame legs.

I am still being bitten, I search and look Every morning I take off all the sheets and covers, examine them carefully, place in a plastic bag and wash in hot water. I use scotch tape to pick up any dark specks, which turn out to be dust, or crumbs. I need to catch one to show the PCO so that I can get treatment for the house. Very frustrating.

I was amazed that the nymphs were so small, these were translucent, and they moved very fast. It is no surprise that the nymphs can hide so well. If you weren't looking you might never spot one. Many of the photo's on the internet do not show well the structure of the nymphs.

8. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Nov 11 2007 22:53:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, irritated, it would be ideal to have the mattress and box spring treated before encasing them. However, if there's going to be a long wait while you decide on a PCO, encasing might bring some relief. Read the faqs (orange bug below) on the subject of beds, travel, PCOs, how to prepare and deal with clothes and a ton of other subjects.

Probably best not to delay in bringing someone in to inspect.

As always, if you live in an apartment building, as opposed to a single-family home, it's in your best interest to go through the apartment manager to ensure adjacent apartments are inspected and treated if necessary.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,187 posts in 50,134 topics over 155 months by 21,917 of 22,411 members. Latest: ij430jf, patbb, Peachyy92