freezing treatment- does it work?

(7 posts)
  1. momindanger

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Sep 15 2012 13:24:22
    #

Login to Send PM

My mom's in Wisconsin (caught bedbugs at a hotel in Tennessee). She's had 2 freezing treatments and she still sees bedbugs (last treatment 3 days ago). I've seen heat used and it worked on Animal Planet shows. Her house is in shambles- moving furniture 18" from the wall. Everything out of closets, and all clothes wash and dried and stuck in plastic bags. She says it's like an episode of hoarders there! She needs to get this finished because she works out of her home and she hasn't been able to do anything for the past month. Anyone have suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. Trajan

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Sep 15 2012 13:29:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Freezing treatment? What did that consist of? It was my understanding that for freezing to eliminate bed bugs it had to get very very cold (-29 C or lower) and be held constant at that temperature for multiple days. I cannot think of any way a PCO could have frozen her whole living space and held it at that temperature for an extended period of time.

I would recommend switching PCOs (do some research to find a reputable and experienced one) and getting a conventional chemical treatment or a heat treatment. The latter is usually more expensive.

3. momindanger

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Sep 15 2012 13:37:23
    #

Login to Send PM

They used a sprayer and I think- but I'm not too sure- that it was liquid nitrogen that they put on the baseboards and furniture. They told her that it works much better than heat, and after 3 hours she could go back into the house. They didn't even touch her garage. They made her sign a contract saying after the treatments if they find a piece of furniture has too many bed bugs in it she has to get rid of it. I don't see why they don't just move all of her stuff into one of those walk in ovens and leave it been there overnight. I think she paid about 1200 dollars for this treatment.

4. Trajan

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Sep 15 2012 13:45:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, okay. So it was liquid nitrogen. Well, that stuff IS really really cold. I think direct contact would kill bed bugs, but it could be some were missed during the treatments and the bugs fled somewhere warmer and have now come back.

Freezing treatment being more effective than heat treatment sounds iffy to me, though.

Does she have any more treatments scheduled? If they're spraying they'll need to hit every single last bug/egg with the liquid nitrogen. It could take multiple times (more than 2). If it doesn't seem to be working after that, I think she should look into getting another type of treatment.

But I am by no means an expert. Maybe keep an eye on this thread and bump it again later in the day when the pros are out and about and answering questions like the great people they are.

Sorry about your mom having to go through this! It's a pain, for sure.

5. momindanger

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Sep 15 2012 13:55:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the feedback, Trajan. I need to know what I'm talking about so I can push her in the right direction!

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Sep 15 2012 14:36:00
    #

Login to Send PM

The technology is sometimes marketed under the brand name Cryonite. It's a contact killer which means it can work but only if they hit every bed bug directly. This can take a number of repeat visits. They need to keep coming back until the bed bugs are all dead.

If she does not react to bed bug bites, you need to use monitors and/or inspections to confirm they're gone.

Click the Cryonite tag above to read more discussions of this procedure.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. iwonder

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Sep 16 2012 17:36:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't think Cryonite is suggested to be used a sole treatment. It needs to be done in conjunction with other treatments like pesticides.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,607 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956