Freezing the Bugs

(5 posts)
  1. Bug Slayer

banned

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Feb 1 2011 2:34:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Did a little experiment today.I capture a BB and out in my feezer .came back afetr 12 hours and it was dead.

2. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Feb 1 2011 8:10:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs seem to be sensitive to the temperature.

They don't "seem to be", they are.
    However, using extreme cold or heat to kill them could put household members in hardship.

That's not generally true, and in any case it strongly depends form the method you're applying.

If you put a BB in a (glass or plastic) jar in the freezer, it dies in less than 12 hrs, but it's not representative of what happens if you put in freezer an infested items, that requires a largest amount of time to become BBs free. Thermal inertia makes the difference.

3. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Feb 1 2011 11:13:03
    #

Login to Send PM

To add some specifics to that...

A bug in an open vial lasts less than 2 hours at -17oC (normal household freezer). But it takes about 8 hours for the center of a 2.5 kg bag of loosely packed dry laundry to reach lethal temperatures.

4. Bug Slayer

banned

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Feb 1 2011 11:48:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Im thinking also maybe it depends on the bugs "health"too ,if its well fed and not exposed to any DE or other chemical.

5. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Feb 1 2011 14:30:27
    #

Login to Send PM

That's probably true but I wouldn't be surprised if being well fed was a bad thing for cold tolerance as the water in their guts and haemolymph may make them more prone to freezing damage than a desicated individual.

The cold tolerance tests I did were on bugs fed one week before, so they were fairly flat but not starved.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,748 posts in 49,541 topics over 153 months by 21,704 of 22,148 members. Latest: germanhippie, Sportbb42, Katieaus