Free At Last!!!!!

(9 posts)
  1. shawndella

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 27 2010 10:29:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I can finally say that I have been totally free of bites and sightings of the nasty bugs for four motnhs now. This doesn't mean that they are forgotten. I continue to treat as if they are waiting for me to relax so they can climb out of their dark holes and drink my blood while I sleep.

My harrowing story started last November when I was away for the winter staying with my ailing father. My husband would call and tell me that something in his deer stand was biting the hell out of him. I didn't think anything of it as he has a tendency to get bitten by anything and everything that is with a mile of him. If he "thinks" the word chigger, they are all over him. Then he would call and say that something must be inside one of his hunting shirts. Well, I returned home in February, sadly, my father had passed away. After a week or so I started noticing a couple of small bugs on the wall that looked like baby wood roaches. I live in a log cabin in the woods, so I figured the rain had brought them in the house. Bugs in general don't bother me, so I thought nothing of it. Soon, my husband started getting these welts up and down his back and arms. I don't mean 3 or 4, I mean 20 or 30 every night! I wasn't getting bit, so I assumed he was getting them elsewhere. I'm not sure when it hit me that the roaches were not roaches and the bites were being caused by bed bugs, but I literally ran to the computer and started researching. Lo and behold, there it was in front of me. Bed bugs. The first thing that came to mind was my parents telling me, "Goodnight, sleep tight and don't let the bedbugs bite." I never knew what this meant until that very second. Shivers rolled up and down my spine. Immediately I called my husband and told him that I knew what was biting him and that he was not going to like it. My husband has a strong dislike for anything that bites him, he has bee sting allergies and even a tick bite will make him swell up like Grandma's homemade bread. I immediately went to Walmart and bought 100.00 worth of insecticides. I put bombs in every room and closet, washed everything that would fit in the washing machine and all was well. For about two days. Although I was not getting bitten, I could feel the suns-a-bitches crawling on my arm hair at night. Ok, more research has to be done. I found out that bug bombs just make the vampire bugs scatter only to return with a vengeance. I have pine and cedar walls, so heating was not the answer, it was too easy for them to hide behind the panels and stay cool. I read somewhere that to find out what kills them, find a live one and spray 'em with it. If they die instanly, it MAY work. I tried everything I could buy. I even went to Tractor Supply and bought an insecticide used for horses that had 45% pyrethrin. I could barely breath, and to my dismay I found that the dogs and I would expire from this stuff long before the bugs would. I sprayed them with hair spray, spray starch, vinegar, cologne and oven spray. Oven spray made them stand up and flip me off. My last shot was alcohol. Voila! One spray and the little buggers raised their backsides and keeled over. I was overjoyed! "Ok", I told them, "this is war." I went back to Walmart and bought every bottle of 91% alcohol that was on the shelf. I also bought 4 rolls of 1.5 mil painter's plastic drop cloths and 4 rolls of packing tape. I removed all linens and put them in a plastic bag and tied a knot in it. (Don't want them falling off on their trip to the washing machine.) I stood the mattress up on it's side and hosed it with alcohol. Then I proceeded to wrap the mattress in plastic and packing tape, making sure there were no gaps. After the mattress was completely sealed, I did the same with the box springs. Then I hosed the carpet and the wall behind the bed with alcohol. After the alcohol dried, I vacuumed every crack and space between every board. Then I ran a piece of tape on the carpet and about an inch up the wall. All pictures came down and where there were signs of the bastages, alcohol was used in abundance. I washed all linens, hosed the mattress and carpet one more time before putting the sheets back on the bed. I continued this routine every 3 days. Every night, however, I sprayed alcohol between the mattress and box springs, the sheets, the pillows and pillowcases, on the carpet, where the carpet meets the wall and every live bug I saw. If I felt or thought I felt one crawling on me at night, I would keep a spray bottle next to my bed and if there was a bug, I would hose it and then hose everything again before I felt safe to close my eyes again. It has been four months with no bites and no sightings of bugs. I now do my "treatments" once a week just to be sure. The plastic is still on the mattress and box springs and will stay ther forever or until I can afford to buy new ones. My tips: Be diligent whatever course you take. Your vacuum is your best friend. Put your vacuum outside in between uses.

2. Y

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Nov 9 2010 13:33:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for sharing! I got a professional treatment with insecticide two days ago, but it's good to know that a (fairly) cheap home treatment option works, given you are diligent...going out and buying more rubbing alcohol just in case.

3. Jenn28

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Nov 9 2010 16:19:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Shawndella,

Good for you, it's so great to be free of this evil. But one question....weren't you afraid that alcohol plus pine/cedar walls might have equaled a fire? You are brave!

4. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Nov 9 2010 16:26:51
    #

Login to Send PM

" I went back to Walmart and bought every bottle of 91% alcohol that was on the shelf. ..alcohol was used in abundance.... I sprayed alcohol between the mattress and box springs, the sheets, the pillows and pillowcases, on the carpet, where the carpet meets the wall and every live bug I saw.... I now do my "treatments" once a week just to be sure....
    -----------------------
    Yikes! You're lucky you didn't burn the whole house down. No disrespect, but I hope no one follows your lead, and hopefully you will take heed and stop your "treatments". Alcohol used the way you describe is very inflammable! Also, alcohol is a contact killer, no residual. Better (and much safer ways) to DIY.

Richard

5. shawndella

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Nov 25 2010 1:38:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I am still free of bedbugs! Thanks to 91% alcohol. For those who feared I would set my house on fire, I would like to let everyone know that I took proper precaustions. I had plenty of ventilation, i.e. open doors windows, etc, fans and I taped over outlets and light switches. Sorry that I forgot to mention this important step! Also, please do not smoke or run heaters when using alcohol! P.S. Richard: "inflammable" means it is NOT flammable.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Nov 25 2010 1:42:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Oddly enough, inflammable and flammable both mean "capable of being set on fire." See this definition.

Alcohol is flammable and using it to saturate everything is not a good treatment method. It's just a contact killer, and you're unlikely to find and spray every bed bug directly.

I am glad you are bed bug free, shawndella, but I agree that there are safer and more effective DIY methods.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. Beth

account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Nov 25 2010 22:05:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Isn't the alcohol only flammable before it dries? 91% alcohol dries very quickly if ventilated. I am using it on my window sills and door frames, and have used it on desk chairs and tables. I don't use it on my mattress, carpet or upholstery, but so long as you don't run a heater or are smoking or burning candles while spraying or shortly thereafter, where is the issue with it? Is it flammable after it has dried? Just curious.

Amy

8. shawndella

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Aug 22 2011 15:13:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, let's see....I have been bed-bug free for over a year now, and my house NEVER burned down. Do the math, all of you nay-sayers!

9. i hate buggs

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Aug 31 2011 11:35:42
    #

Login to Send PM

shawndella - 1 week ago  » 
    Well, let's see....I have been bed-bug free for over a year now, and my house NEVER burned down. Do the math, all of you nay-sayers!

SNAP SNAP GIRLFRIEND !!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,643 posts in 50,005 topics over 154 months by 21,867 of 22,348 members. Latest: jaa5108, fightingback, Jenloaa