Freaking out; hoping it's not bedbugs

(6 posts)
  1. Idgy

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 8 2015 19:23:02
    #

Login to Send PM

My nightmare started when my daughter had round spots appear all over her -- on her belly, chest, back and legs. There were about 10 to begin with. They slowly vanished, then about 5 days later more appeared. Throughout the day they would fade, then reappear, popping up till there were more than 40.

We brought her to a clinic where we told they were absolutely not bug bites but rather a form of eczema. They gave us a useless cortizone cream and told us to give her Benadryl to help with the insane itching.

They faded, but within 6 to 9 days there were two on her torso. Those faded, and a few days later a handful more. We brought her to another doctor who said it was bug bites and said it seemed more like bedbugs than anything else, but that even that seems strange. No one else is affected (she spends half the night in her own room, half in mine) and the bites, except for these new ones on her neck, are happening under her nightclothes.

Those were almost faded, and tonight I see she has two round spots on her neck. There is no puncture wound that I can see.

We have passive traps under her bed and ours and we have been checking everything like crazy. There are no blood or fecal stains. I *did* see a flea on one of our cats last night, so I'm very much hoping that's what it is. But again -- two one night and 40 the next? For any type of bug, is that normal? If there were enough bedbugs to give her 40 bites, wouldn't there be some sort of sign?

These are the marks on her legs:

http://postimg.org/image/qjt9dd2pp/

And on her neck:

http://postimg.org/image/kx1htmpkt/

2. Idgy

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 8 2015 19:38:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I feel I need to add that I *do* understand they can't be diagnosed by bites alone. But does it seems strange at all that there could be 40 one day, then just 5 or 2 the next? Or that if there were enough for 40 I wouldn't find anything? I'm not asking for a magic bullet -- just any educated guesses.

3. FormerlyBuggy

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 8 2015 22:50:53
    #

Login to Send PM

You're right, you can't diagnose the situation by bites alone - and neither can a doctor. If they did a skin scraping, they could tell you whether it's insect bites, but definitely not narrow it down to bed bugs. In my NON-expert opinion, that 2nd doctor was making a huge assumption.

The only way to know for sure is to find evidence and get it identified by an EXPERT. There are a number of them here, so if you find anything (even a fecal stain) take a good closeup picture and post it on this thread.

If it really is some kind of bite and she is getting bitten that much, you should be seeing at least fecal stains if it is bed bugs. They defecate right after they feed (adding insult to injury, if you ask me).

Idgy - 3 hours ago  » 

I *did* see a flea on one of our cats last night, so I'm very much hoping that's what it is.
    [quote][/quote]

My best (unprofessional) guess is that it's the fleas. Do your cats ever lay on her bed? How old is she? Does she spend much time on the floor? Fleas typically bite adults on the feet, ankles and lower legs because that's about how high the can hop. But, if animals sleep in the bed or if the person is low to the ground, their reach would be much more extensive.

Again, try to find any evidence of bed bugs and post it here. Then keep checking in until you get an expert opinion.

I hope this helps.

Melanie

I am NOT an expert - just a grateful bed bug survivor willing to share my experience, strength, and hope with others.
  4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jun 8 2015 23:04:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Is it possible she's being bitten by fleas or bed bugs or something somewhere else ? Bite reactions don't necessarily appear right away and with bed bugs, they can appear, hours, days, or even a week or more later.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. Idgy

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 9 2015 21:45:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much for your input, and the suggestion that she might be bitten elsewhere. It does seem like it happens about 12 hours after leaving nursery school, so it could be environmental.

I'm not letting my guard down, though. I'm going to continue to watch very closely for signs in and around her bed (and do some hard-core flea treatments, since that's something I know how to deal with).

Again, thank you.

6. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 9 2015 22:10:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Interesting about the delay after preschool. Have you thought to ask the school nurse if other children have welts?

Interesting, too, about the eczema diagnosis. I did have bb last year and I did get eczema from the bites on my chest. No where else (the eczema part). I used to call it my bed bug barometer. The eczema would burn before I'd notice welts elsewhere. I am sure it could occur with any skin irritant, be it flea bites, etc.

Have you had your cat/house/backyard treated for the fleas?

I'm not an expert just a dumb struggling bed bugger like every body else.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,655 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982