(7 posts)
  1. madweebz

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jul 12 2015 5:31:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

I'll try to briefly summarise our bed bug experience (so far) and ask you guys for opinions and/or recommendations on the best way to go. Thanks for reading.

So I first discovered a single bed bug in my own apartment some 2-3 months ago. Went berserk immediately, disposed some furniture after sealing it carefully, ordered DE and TempoDust, sealed off my bed in plastic, bagged all clothing and linnens, and I made sure to only use 'safe clothes' whenever I went out to see my family.

Fast forward to last week. I found a live bed bug in the house of my girlfriend's parents. We contacted some guy with 2 sniffing dogs. Bed bugs were found in 4 homes: mine (2 rooms), my GF's (2 rooms), my GF's parents' (2 rooms), and my own parents' home (1 room).

Of course it's impossible to find out where the infection started, and it really doesn't matter.

NOW AS FOR TREATMENT
    In my apartment and in my parents' house, we did a heat treatment. My GF's home has a landlord, and the local PCO adviced him to do heat treatment in one room while spraying pesticides in the other. To me, this seems like the most ridiculous plan ever. The rooms are on different floors but they're right on top of one another. I'm scared as hell the bugs will crawl from the pesticide room to the room that was heat treated. We're performing a small lobbying-offensive against the landlord to make him heat-treat both rooms and get the problem solved right away.

As for the house of my parents-in-law, this is where I worry most.
    In my GF's room there, I found a live bed bug about 7 days ago sitting underneath a pillow. I haven't entered the home since. Just now, my GF found another(!) two live bed bugs that just fell from the sheets when she picked them up.
    According to my own PCO (who did the heat treatment), a rule of thumb says you have 100+ bed bugs if you find one this easily. Now, my parents-in-law don't want to spend some $3000 on heat treatment, so they found a PCO that wants to spray the ENTIRE home with pesticides. He believs that two treatments should suffice. Yet I doubt if this guy has any idea how serious the infestation is.
    Moreover, he will ONLY use some bio-degradable pesticides (I'm assuming the kill-on-contact sort?).
    Both infested rooms are a complete mess. The guy has NOT said he would use a steamer for any of the items in the room.

I am truly worried that relying solely on pesticides for the house of my parents-in-law will have little, or at least not a 100%, effect. I am scared to see or touch my GF, scared to spread the bugs to my own apartment or to my parents house again, scared to have to spend another $3000 on heat treatment in half a year.

Did anyone of you have good experiences with JUST the use of spray pesticides (no dusts, no steamers) in a home that - from what I assume - is quite seriously infested?

Any advice, feedback, or ideas are much appreciated, thanks.

2. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jul 12 2015 10:49:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Bump for a pro answer.

I had a mild infestation in my apartment that was treated successfully, though it took me applying CimeXa on top of the exterminators haphazard chemical treatment (Temprid, pretty good stuff).

I've not heard of heat treating certain rooms...bugs can and do seek cooler areas. I've heard of entire house treatments combined with pesticides. Will be interesting to hear what a pro says about this kind of heat treatment. A good multi level approach of chemicals and dust often work, but a good dry steamer can be implemented as well. There is also Vikane treayment, which requires a whole house be treated.

Were beds encased or anything? Treated independently? (Sprayed or steamed)?

Did the pco for your girlfriend and parents place give you a warranty? Did you interview different exterminators? Has he used dust or anything?

Did the bed bug dog guy actually confirm bed bugs or did the dog just hit on in certain areas?

Can you post pictures of what is being found? (We like pictures here!)

Hang on for a pro to answer.

Ps did your landlord inspect and or treat the apartments adjoining yours?

I'm not an expert just a dumb struggling bed bugger like every body else.
  3. madweebz

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jul 12 2015 16:22:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for replying, Robinsmom.

We're from the Netherlands. Unfortunately, CimeXa is not available here. I contacted the producer (Rockwell), asking if they could somehow send some, but they said export/import regulations did not allow them to do so and that there was no prospect to export in the near future. I did find DE in a local pet shop though, and I ordered TempoDust from the US (to my knowledge this is the most effective dust that does ship to the Netherlands).

I highly trust these sniffing dogs. I was sceptical at first and, like you say, demanded visible evidence of the bugs where these dogs pointed to. Yet, in all four homes bed bugs WERE found, and were ONLY found, in the rooms that we knew or believed to be infected (e.g. where we either found live bed bugs, or where the residents had typical bite marks / spots). We did not tell the sniffing dog guy anything, he even demanded us to not tell him anything. This guy was willing to search for the bugs, but advised us to refrain from doing so since it might cause them to spread or scatter and make the problem worse. After he found the bed bugs in my place and in my parents' place, we left the homes entirely (living in an RV) to prevent them from spreading to other rooms. In my apartment, I had already dusted (DE + TempoDust) the place where the water pipes etc cross into the other apartments so I was confident that any escaping bed bug would die eventually.
    The two sniffing dogs were accompanied by two different persons. First, one dog with one guy would scan the home (and we were allowed / requested to join them in this process). Then, the other dog with the other guy scanned the home. So the scanning was completely independent. Both dogs marked exactly the same places/rooms in all four homes. (We also scanned a fifth home, that of my sister. No bed bugs were found here at all, which makes some sense at least 'cause we never slept over at each others' places)

As for heat treating certain rooms, this seems to be common practice over here. The guy with the sniffing dogs, my PCO and the PCO in my GFs place all favour to only heat-treat the infected rooms.

No mattresses were encased save for mine. I was the first one to discover them in my place, and I did the things I described in my first post, as well as encasing my mattress after puffing some DE over it. Took apart my bed as well and dusted it with DE. Pretty much dusted the entire place in DE and some TempoDust where the floors and walls met.

We used the same heat-treatment PCO guy for my apartment and for the house of my parents. He gave a one-month guarantee. He also used a steamer for fragile / explodable / meltable (candles) objects. Mattresses were kept in the rooms and were thoroughly heated. I joined them multiple times into the room(s) and they allowed me to check and see what they were doing. We plan on bringing in the sniffing dogs again after 3-3.5 weeks to make sure this PCO did a good job and to make use of the warranty if he did not. Till then we remain cautious, albeit at a somewhat lower level.

My apartment has only two rooms, both rooms were infected, so this place was heat-treated completely. I had contacted the land lord (which is more a company of sorts, some social housing system/organisation), but he was unwilling to assist. I went mad, because I know the regulations I signed, and everything indicates that the landlord IS liable for this treatment. I decided to pay for the treatment myself first, and I have an appointment with the landlord this wednesday to discuss whether or not he will refund the expenses.

In my girlfriend's place, the landlord contacted a different PCO (company name Rentokil). In this house, the sniffing dogs found bed bugs in two out of three rooms. The PCO-guy only found bed bugs in one of the rooms and he came up with the plan to heat-treat that room while spraying a pesticide in the other room (this room was infected according to the dogs, but not according to this PCO guy). Rentokil gives a two-week warranty which, according to my knowledge, seems to be too short given that it can take two weeks for an egg to hatch.

My girlsfriend's parents (my parents-in-law) contacted yet another PCO. This one has a 'certificate' from some regional 'knowledge centre' on pests. I checked that knowledge centre's website, apparently they hand out that certificate if you attend a one-day training which costs you $300. I have not found one online review or experience regarding this knowledge centre's 'experts'. In fact, when I encountered bed bugs in my place, I first contacted the local health department. They never heard of bed bug infestations in this region and they would call me back with a plan. Next day they told me about the knowledge centre, but they did so rather unconvincingly and merely told me that it was 'a possibility' to contact them.
    Anyway, this guy does not do heat-treatments and plans to spray the entire home of my parents-in-law with some pesticide. He gave "a 100% guarantee" that two treatments will suffice. If not he would come back and spray again, but no time-span has been given for this. My parents-in-law have pets (cats) so I doubt whether the pesticide he plans on using will be very effective. He told that he would ONLY use this pesticide and no dusts etc.

I have some pictures of various (dead) bed bugs on tape and such, but nothing to really show how/where the infestations are.

4. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Jul 12 2015 19:11:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not from Europe but David Cain is from England and he is a known visitor to this site. I hope he chimes in with some advice. I've heard of Tempo dust, supposed to be good.

Really sorry you are going through this.

This other guy, what is the pesticide he plans to use?

5. ozbugz

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jul 13 2015 5:09:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow what a predicament. You are lucky though to have heat treatment available, in my town in Australia no one does heat, and can't get cimexa here either
    We had chemical only (twice) though I followed up myself with DE and have encased the mattress and replaced the bed slats. No signs so far, but getting a few bites so not convinced they are gone (though I did get delusional parasitosis from the stress so it's difficult to say as I never reacted much to bites)
    I know heat is more expensive but I would definitely use it if it's available in preference to the sprays.

6. madweebz

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Jul 13 2015 8:21:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I contacted the PCO that started treatment in the house of my parents-in-law. Couldn't get hold of him myself but the company replied with a list of pesticides that they COULD use for bed bugs: Fendona, Solfac, Ficam W and K Othrine.

Good to see they don't simply spray rubbing alcohol, but I'm still hesitant of their solely-spraying plan. I'll see if my parents-in-law can find out how many types of insecticides the guy ended up spraying. The company treats all sorts of pests, only found reviews of people who hired them for bees though. Not really sure if a specific bedbug PCO would be better.

Ozbugs, perhaps there's a heat treatment guy in some other city nearby? Mine had to travel for 1.5 hours to get to our place, that's like crossing half the country..

7. Immi

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Aug 11 2015 14:27:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi! That's quite a problem you have there, with 4 houses infected.
    -after writing my reply I saw your topic is a month old. So probably treatment has already be done and hopefully you got rid of them. -

I'm not a pro. We're just in the same country, that's why I write my reply. I have martin bird bugs and not bed bugs so not the same treatment. What I can tell you is that there are some companies using the logo of the expertise centre without their consent. One of these companies is offering a very cheap one treatment bed bug remedy with the garantee that they won't return. Impossible, I think, and not to be trusted.
    If you want you can send me PM. The PCO I had was recommended by other ones. I called about 5 of them trying to find expertise about "my" bugs and they told me the one I chose was a good one. Mine gave 2 options: heat treatment in combination with spraying K-Othrin on some limited places or spraying the whole rooms in the infested part of the house with it.
    Maybe we can exchange company names if necessary.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,187 posts in 50,134 topics over 155 months by 21,917 of 22,411 members. Latest: ij430jf, patbb, Peachyy92