Found one bed bug, need help

(14 posts)
  1. Bluedolphin

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Nov 11 2016 21:36:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I am completely freaking out. Daughter said she saw a " red bug" on her desk yesterday, this morning, saw one on her bed as she was getting up. I squashed it and blood came out. Confirmed by inspector this afternoon. No bites on anyone, no fecal stains, no casings. We've had a lot of travel this past month. Also had bat exclusion 3 months ago. Is there any way it could be bat bugs or just one isolated bed bug? How aggressive do I need to be? I have been worried sick all day.

2. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Nov 11 2016 22:17:11
    #

Login to Send PM

You need to be very aggressive. Even in best case scenarios these things are VERY hard to get rid of. I hope it's a bat bug, but you need to get an expert to confirm. Good luck.

3. Bluedolphin

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Nov 12 2016 1:48:54
    #

Login to Send PM

That's what I was afraid of. I am overwhelmed right now, especially as my husband does not seem to share my concerns and I'm hearing conflicting info from the different PCOS I've spoken to. The first who came out felt we just needed to treat the one room. The next said the entire house needs to be treated. One said to get mattress covers, one said it wasn't necessary. The person who was to treat just one room did not seem concerned about clothes hanging in the closet or the stuffed animals in the room. I'm just not sure who to listen to.

4. misery

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Nov 12 2016 7:57:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Step 1, post a photo. Find one or however many and take the best photos you can. The pros here can tell the difference between bat and bed bugs. The steps to deal with them are different I believe, so definitely need that ID first.

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.
  5. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Nov 12 2016 8:44:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. If you do not have good magnification on the camera then place the insect on a flat bed scanner. This way you should get good magnification. Please don't worry too much you will get rid of the problem. What is your PCO doing? The problem will go away faster using a good PCO.

6. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Nov 12 2016 8:49:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Had the PCO who suggested treating a single room carefully inspected the whole house?

Treating a single room is not usually recommended.

7. Bluedolphin

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Nov 12 2016 9:39:49
    #

Login to Send PM

The PCO who said to treat just one room did inspect all the beds, but not the whole house.
    I'm trying to figure out how to use Flickr to upload a photo. I fear it is a bed bug!

8. Bluedolphin

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Nov 12 2016 9:59:24
    #

Login to Send PM

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Nov 12 2016 10:02:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry its a bed bug or close relative.

David

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  10. Bluedolphin

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Nov 12 2016 10:09:47
    #

Login to Send PM

That's what I thought (and feared). Does it matter if it is a bat bug versus a bed bug?

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Nov 12 2016 11:17:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Given the lack of faecal and cast skins I would say yes it is always best to confirm species. If you read the link below you will see a little bit more about why this is important:

Bat bug information from Bed Bugs Limited

Because the methods and patterns used to treat bat bugs are so different to bed bugs its essential in cases where there is a lack of other confirming signs and a possibility of bats to be certain.

Obviously if you live in a major urban area with no bats or house martin / chimney swallow swifts the risk is negated but when it comes to treating homes getting the ID right from the start saves potentially wasted time.

The link will also show you the level of detail you need to look for in determining the species.

Hope that helps.

David

12. Bluedolphin

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Nov 12 2016 12:13:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I think i just destroyed my hopes of this"just" being bat bugs. Just found this under the mattress:
    https://flic.kr/p/NXCgkw

I'm assuming that just sealed my fate?

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Nov 12 2016 12:42:17
    #

Login to Send PM

OK.

1+1=2 but it does not confirm the species of either of them.

Thinking in terms of "sealing your fate" is extremely counter productive to dealing with things logically.

I personally would be looking at this more along the lines of only 2! Most people have cases that are a lot worse and they make it through.

There is a UK term, a little out of date but highly relevant to this, its called the "Blitz spirit", we even draw upon it when slim majorities of our own people decide to jump off a political cliff. I have seen too many people who have literally been empowered by their strength in dealing with bed bugs go on to achieve amazing things to not know its possible.

Please spend some time in the FAQ's and useful tolls (static sections) to build up knowledge and understanding because that is where the real value of this site comes in. If nothing else it will help you keep your situation in context.

David

14. Bluedolphin

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Nov 12 2016 12:53:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the perspective. I am working on keeping it together. All the info here has been extremely helpful and I do feel less hopeless. We tentatively have a treatment scheduled for this Monday.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,940 posts in 49,855 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19