Found on couch/help IDing [a: suspected bat bug or swallow bug]

(70 posts)
  1. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 2 2012 12:06:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I started off my first day of summer vacation by finding this bugger crawling on my couch. I've captured it and it stays in a ziploc baggie. It looks like a bedbug, but I don't know for sure. Here's the link:

Multiple Pics of Live Bug:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/DigiExpert/Bugs/IMG_2178.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/DigiExpert/Bugs/IMG_2177.jpg

I don't really use my couch. It's usually covered with a sheet to keep the cats from being destructive. The cats use it all the time. I just use it to lean against when I eat dinner at the low coffee table on the floor. I had not recently traveled anywhere. I work in a school, but unless the bugs traveled from where my school bags are kept, nothing new was placed on the couch.

I started checking my bed area for signs. I cannot find any signs on the bed sheets, mattress, or box spring. I dried everything on the bed in the dryer though. This morning I woke up with a bite on the back of my right hip. It only itched when I first realized it was there, and it is red, but that's it. It still got me antsy so I stripped the bed again and checked. Found nothing.

Regardless, I've been working to clean both areas. I have found no signs of more live bugs. However, I found a dead bug in one of the storage bins under the bed. I've attached a photo. I also found a casing of some bug under the couch. There's also a photo of that.

Multiple Pics of 1 dead bug (from underbed bin): http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/DigiExpert/Bugs/IMG_2176.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/DigiExpert/Bugs/IMG_2175.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/DigiExpert/Bugs/IMG_2169.jpg

Pic of bug casing from couch:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/DigiExpert/Bugs/IMG_2171.jpg

I have contacted my landlord, but he has not contacted me back. I live in the upstairs of a home that was converted into two apartments. It is an older house. I've lived here for nearly 3 years now without any pest issues. He had originally mentioned a bug bomb, which made me realize he doesn't know what to do. He was going to talk to an exterminator though. Since I didn't hear back from him, I called an exterminator yesterday afternoon. They got my number and said the inspector was on a call then but would call back by Monday. I've been slowly searching the areas and cleaning the clutter under the bed. Everything is currently sealed in garbage bags with duct tape over the tied top. Should I leave this in my room until the place is inspected? Or should I take it somewhere? I guess if I do have a problem I'd get storage containers to put the stuff in to suffocate them, but is this okay for now?

I also bought food grade DE to put around the perimeter of the bed and couch, as well as the baseboards. I know it's a slower killer, and that's fine with me. I just needed something that was safe for myself and my cats that could assist. Is there anything else I should be doing in the meantime?

2. Fed-up over being Fed-on

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 2 2012 12:19:10
    #

Login to Send PM

You could also cover your matress/boxspring with vinyl/plastic covers (about $8 each at walmart) and use caulk to seal any openings/cracks arround baseboards and in other places.

3. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 2 2012 12:22:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Fed-up over being Fed-on - 2 minutes ago  » 
    You could also cover your matress/boxspring with vinyl/plastic covers (about $8 each at walmart) and use caulk to seal any openings/cracks arround baseboards and in other places.

Thanks for the tips. I'm going shopping this afternoon, so I can pick up caulk. I'll check out the vinyl coverings as well.

4. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 2 2012 12:40:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, unfortunately, that is a bed bug, sorry. Time to hit the FAQs on this site and start educating yourself. Regarding the suggestions above, caulking is always a good idea but there are differing opinions on mattress covers so you might want to look at the arguments for and against before you lay down any cash.

Good luck!

-rs1971

5. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 2 2012 13:35:44
    #

Login to Send PM

rs1971 - 54 minutes ago  » 
    Yes, unfortunately, that is a bed bug, sorry. Time to hit the FAQs on this site and start educating yourself. Regarding the suggestions above, caulking is always a good idea but there are differing opinions on mattress covers so you might want to look at the arguments for and against before you lay down any cash.
    Good luck!
    -rs1971

The live one, dead one, or both?

6. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 2 2012 13:42:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Nodame - 3 minutes ago  » 

Good luck!
    -rs1971

I hadn't seen the second set of pictures but having looked at them now, both unfortunately. I should add the disclaimer that I'm not an expert, just a long time lurker with an interest. That said, I'm pretty confident or I wouldn't be weighing in.

-rs1971

7. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 2 2012 13:46:59
    #

Login to Send PM

rs1971 - 1 minute ago  » 

Good luck!
    -rs1971

I hadn't seen the second set of pictures but having looked at them now, both unfortunately. I should add the disclaimer that I'm not an expert, just a long time lurker with an interest. That said, I'm pretty confident or I wouldn't be weighing in.
    -rs1971

Just for completeness I'll also add the standard disclaimer that there is always the possibility that they aren't bed bugs, but a very closely related species, (ie, bat bugs). The differences are subtle though and even the experts can't usually differentiate the two without the specimen in hand or at least super high res photos. But unless you have some particular reason to suspect one of those related species, they are likely just run of the mill bed bugs.

-rs1971

8. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 2 2012 14:03:15
    #

Login to Send PM

rs1971 - 13 minutes ago  » 

rs1971 - 1 minute ago  » 

Good luck!
    -rs1971

-rs1971

Just for completeness I'll also add the standard disclaimer that there is always the possibility that they aren't bed bugs, but a very closely related species, (ie, bat bugs). The differences are subtle though and even the experts can't usually differentiate the two without the specimen in hand or at least super high res photos. But unless you have some particular reason to suspect one of those related species, they are likely just run of the mill bed bugs.
    -rs1971

Well I don't know if I should expect other bugs or not. It is an older house. I also don't know why I can't locate any other live ones. I've been in the cracks and crevices of couch and bed and can't find anything. I'm wondering if they got in from downstairs.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 2 2012 14:05:14
    #

Login to Send PM

One of those images looked particularly hairy to me so I have asked Lou Sorkin to weigh in on the closely-related species possibility.

I also would recommend reading the FAQs rather than running out to buy things and starting to take various actions.
    I know the first instinct is to act, but you can actually
    do the wrong thing quite easily.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  10. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 2 2012 15:04:20
    #

Login to Send PM

One of those images looked particularly hairy to me so I have asked Lou Sorkin to weigh in on the closely-related species possibility.

Well done, I had the same feeling...

11. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 2 2012 15:32:44
    #

Login to Send PM

EffeCi - 28 minutes ago  » 

Well done, I had the same feeling...

Thanks god for disclaimers!

-rs1971

12. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 2 2012 16:51:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you all for your help so far. I hate that it's the weekend because there's not much I can do until Monday. It drives me crazy and to be honest it's really upsetting me. I'm having trouble handling the thought that it is the bugs. I was supposed to travel to visit friends this summer, and now if I do it may be very unlikely that I can stay with them. Also, should I b taking precautions now with visiting? I've been traveling to my folks to use their dryer and I've been in their car too. After reading the faqs I feel like I shouldn't be doing any of this.

13. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 2 2012 21:02:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I've did some more looking online to try and id the bugs. I was wondering if any of them look like swallow bugs. The neighbor who lives in the lower part of the house has all kinds of birds that stay around the porch on the front of the house. They scatter quickly when I go to get my mail. My bedroom and living room face this front of the house and the windows can let critters slip in and have before. The swallow bug pics sometimes look like what I have and sometimes not. I was just curious. This is the first year that the birds have nested here like this because I think she was trying to encourage them to eat from feeders. Not sure, but they only started sticking around in groups the last couple of weeks.

I called the landlord tonight to see if he had heard anything and he said the exterminator had not called him back yet. I did make sure he was aware that bug bomber are the worst treatment method so I don't think he'll go that route.

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 2 2012 23:57:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 9 hours ago  » 

Lou is on a phone so can't easily look at this thread right now.

I sent him this image and he confirmed it may be too hairy for a bed bug.

And as you can see, EffeCi was concerned also-- and, no offense to anyone else, but they are probably the two best bug identifiers we've got.

You can see that hairiness in a number of these images. However, they're not super clear. If you can post clearer images it helps. It's the fine details that matter when trying to identify closely-related species.

Do you have any bats in your attic? On your roof, etc.? Or birds?

It's important to figure this out, because if they are bat bugs (or if they were swallow bugs), then getting rid of the bats (birds) which are nesting on/in the home, and removing the nest, is essential. (Of course, you need a professional to deal with that and there may be restrictions on moving them -- another poster in another thread is waiting for her swallows to move on so the nest can be removed.)

I'm not an expert on bed bugs, let alone related species, I understand that bat or swallow bugs may come in one at a time and feed on people, as it sounds like these may have done, which would explain why you've seen some but it's harder to find signs.

15. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 3 2012 0:12:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 10 minutes ago  » 

Nobugsonme - 9 hours ago  » 

Lou is on a phone so can't easily look at this thread right now.

I sent him this image and he confirmed it may be too hairy for a bed bug.
    And as you can see, EffeCi was concerned also-- and, no offense to anyone else, but they are probably the two best bug identifiers we've got.
    You can see that hairiness in a number of these images. However, they're not super clear. If you can post clearer images it helps. It's the fine details that matter when trying to identify closely-related species.
    Do you have any bats in your attic? On your roof, etc.? Or birds?
    It's important to figure this out, because if they are bat bugs (or if they were swallow bugs), then getting rid of the bats (birds) which are nesting on/in the home, and removing the nest, is essential. (Of course, you need a professional to deal with that and there may be restrictions on moving them -- another poster in another thread is waiting for her swallows to move on so the nest can be removed.)
    I'm not an expert on bed bugs, let alone related species, I understand that bat or swallow bugs may come in one at a time and feed on people, as it sounds like these may have done, which would explain why you've seen some but it's harder to find signs.

I will try to get better images tomorrow for you...errr later today since its early morning. I do not know what's in the attic actually. There's a square in the corner of my room that I am guessing is the only way to access it. I've never opened it. I will mention the birds to the inspector whenever they come as well. I still have found no other signs anywhere. I plan to inspect around the front windows to see if I can spot more of these critters. I'd really love it if they were any other bug than bed bugs.

16. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 3 2012 0:17:23
    #

Login to Send PM

The inspector should be able to have a good look for bats or birds. S/he should have experience with this.

17. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 3 2012 8:55:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I can't get any better pics of the live one than what I've posted. I'm afraid I'll lose it if I take it out of the bag it's in. It's not moving anymore. This image that was posted yesterday is probably one of the best close-ups I can get of it:

As for the dead one, I scanned it (no fear of that one running, ha) and this is the image I have for it now:

This dead one was found underneath the bed in a storage box. There has been nothing to indicate any infestation down there and no signs on the bed. I'm not being bitten in bed either. The mattress and box spring are encased in a zippered vinyl, and just to be safe I've placed food grade DE around each bed post.

18. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 3 2012 11:51:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I can't get good pics but I used a flashlight on my phone and natural light to look closely at the bug in my bag. When the light caught it a certain way, it showed hairs on the sides and back of the bug. I thought I was seeing things so I took the bag to someone (not a pro) and asked them to look at the bug to see if it had hairs. They saw hairs like I did. I did not tell them what kind of bug hairs meant prior. It was also given to someone else who had trouble looking at it, but they could see hairs on the side and butt. Do bed bugs have hairs like this or is it just swallow bugs?

19. ShelaghDB

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 3 2012 12:11:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Fed-up over being Fed-on - 23 hours ago  » 

$8 at Wallmart?
    Where, what city?
    I have to replace mine and here in Toronto when I last bought them I paid just under $100 for the top and box spring but the plastic on the box spring one has started to develop a hole or two so although taped up now, I want to buy new ones.
    IF hose ones you speak of for only $8.00 at Walmart are good, Id buy those instead IF THEY ARE good?

TIA

20. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 3 2012 13:46:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Keep inspecting the couch seams around the outside with a flashlight. All I find so far are casings, but these look more like carpet beetle casings or something else. They don't have long legs that can be seen, and they're just not in a shape that looks like any stage of bed bug. I've found these on the bottom of the couch too. They have little grooves along the back of them.

21. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 3 2012 16:14:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, they're carpet beetle casings.

22. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 3 2012 16:17:35
    #

Login to Send PM

EffeCi - 1 minute ago  » 
    Yeah, they're carpet beetle casings.

Thanks. I thought so, but it's good to have that confirmed.

Can you answer this question for me? I can't seem to find one on the Internet that answers it.

"I can't get good pics but I used a flashlight on my phone and natural light to look closely at the bug in my bag. When the light caught it a certain way, it showed hairs on the sides and back of the bug. I thought I was seeing things so I took the bag to someone (not a pro) and asked them to look at the bug to see if it had hairs. They saw hairs like I did. I did not tell them what kind of bug hairs meant prior. It was also given to someone else who had trouble looking at it, but they could see hairs on the side and butt. Do bed bugs have hairs like this or is it just swallow bugs? "

For the record, they appear blurry from afar on the sides, and the back hairs can be seen with a light. At this point, I'm eagerly anticipating tomorrow, regardless.

23. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 3 2012 16:49:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Do bed bugs have hairs like this or is it just swallow bugs?

No, they don't. And your hairy one really resembles me specimens of swallow bugs I saw last year... how big is it?

24. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 3 2012 16:56:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I didn't think they did, and a lot of the bed bug images up close don't show hairs on the sides either. I mean, it's not a lot like some of the hi-res swallow bug images, but still. I still haven't seen any more of them. The birds are constantly around the house now, even at night. Cats enjoy it, but if they bring these bugs with them, I have no joy for the bugs.

I'm not at home so I don't have access to the hairy one (I'm guessing you mean the dead one), but both are slightly smaller than an appleseed I'd estimate. When I do get home, I'd only be able to measure in inches since I don't have a metric ruler.

25. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 3 2012 17:11:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I'd only be able to measure in inches since I don't have a metric ruler.

http://www.nimoterndom.it/manutenzione/manualitecnici/Conversione_pollici-mm.pdf

26. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 3 2012 18:55:51
    #

Login to Send PM

4.76 mm for both live and dead ones

27. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 3 2012 20:50:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Here's the latest from Lou Sorkin in an email to me about the images here:

The image depictes a cimicid that has the 3rd antennal segment longer than 4th, something that isn't on a swallow bug, but on a bat bug. Body hairy unlike a common bed bug. Her inspector should have some luck. I hope.

28. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 3 2012 21:00:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 4 minutes ago  » 
    Here's the latest from Lou Sorkin in an email to me about the images here:

The image depictes a cimicid that has the 3rd antennal segment longer than 4th, something that isn't on a swallow bug, but on a bat bug. Body hairy unlike a common bed bug. Her inspector should have some luck. I hope.

Thank you for posting his response. That gives me some hope that this may be an issue with the birds or bats. I haven't seen any bats around here, but there is an old garage next to the house and the attic is most likely not sealed either. I'm pretty sure one of the windows up there are broken...I think.

It looks like we may end up with two inspectors. I know the landlord is friends with a different one than I called. I guess I'll find out. And I'll make sure to emphasize to the landlord that downstairs needs to be inspected as well, just in case. I think he planned on it, but I'm not sure. I hope one of them can come tomorrow.

I had already mentioned to someone that on the off chance downstairs does have something, I'd most likely end up moving, as the tenant is a very elderly lady who can barely walk and has a helper come by throughout the week. After reading stories here and elsewhere about the extreme tenacity it takes to battle these things, I know for certain she's not up to the task. I know it's a very extreme and rare possibility, but I know that it can be easy for bugs to travel up here too.

29. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jun 4 2012 9:48:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Giving a small update:

After the one company I called had their inspector call back today, the earliest he could do it was Wednesday, but because I had training that day, his next free day would be Friday, and that was after I asked for an after 2:30 time. Instead I ended up calling Ehrlich after seeing their outlines for inspecting/treating bed bugs on their site. I called the landlord because they needed his permission to inspect.

At the same time, the landlord was talking to an exterminator he's friends with and I updated him on the findings and kept mentioning that the bug needs closely inspected because it could be two other types of bugs as well. There is someone that is apparently a half hour away that is trained in bed bug inspection, but he never mentioned a name. I convinced him that having two opinions was better than one, and that Ehrlich would inspect for free. He was skeptical since their office is an hour and a half away, but he's going to call them and let them inspect.

I pushed for the one I'd called simply because I have no idea who will show up from his end. I plan to have the papers in hand from the FAQ on finding a good PCO so I can ask questions related to those things and see if he would be okay or not. My landlord is clueless about all of this and I want to make the right choice, regardless. He was surprised it might be something else, but he did make sure to keep asking if I had the sample.

Random question: Do bed bugs go dormant so quickly in a bag? This one was dormant in less than 24 hours. I thought it'd keep moving for long than that.

30. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jun 4 2012 17:47:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Since finding the bug on Thursday, I have seen nothing since. I've found nothing except carpet beetle casings. I put DE around the bed and couch legs Saturday night and have seen no signs of it being disturbed in either location. I've found nothing on the bed to indicate bedbugs at all. No casings.staining, nothing. I have had one bite on the back of my leg that I woke up with Saturday morning. I know, however, that this means nothing. I keep searching without disturbing things and I get freaked out every so often. My anxiety is getting hard to deal with and even though I know the one PCO is coming tomorrow morning to investigate, I feel sick to my stomach. I want to know if there's anything, but I don't want it to be bed bugs. I don't care if it's the other type. I'm just really mixed up inside.

31. Fed-up over being Fed-on

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 5 2012 0:02:20
    #

Login to Send PM

ShelaghDB - 1 day ago  » 

Fed-up over being Fed-on - 23 hours ago  » 

$8 at Wallmart?
    Where, what city?
    I have to replace mine and here in Toronto when I last bought them I paid just under $100 for the top and box spring but the plastic on the box spring one has started to develop a hole or two so although taped up now, I want to buy new ones.
    IF hose ones you speak of for only $8.00 at Walmart are good, Id buy those instead IF THEY ARE good?
    TIA

I live in Rochester NY and these are the ones I get for $8 for queen size http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=0&ic=48_0&Find.x=0&Find.y=0&Find=Find&_ta=1&search_query=vinyl%20mattress&_tt=vinyl%20mat

32. ShelaghDB

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 5 2012 0:52:00
    #

Login to Send PM

FEDUP

I live in Rochester NY and these are the ones I get for $8 for queen size http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=0&ic=48_0&Find.x=0&Find.y=0&Find=Find&_ta=1&search_query=vinyl%20mattress&_tt=vinyl%20mat

Thanks for the link but as it turns out we cannot get those especially for that price here in Canada and they don't ship it in.
    That said, reading the reviews it does say that they rip a lot so in my case I will just go back to the $100 ones, as much as I dislike spending that much and buy them but they don't rip easily.
    /sighs, you always get much better pricing in american stores than we do

thanks nevertheless for your help

33. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 5 2012 10:42:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I am extremely ticked off now, to say the least. The PCO the landlord acquired was a hack. He was here barely 20 minutes. He barely glanced at the bug before saying bed bug. And I brought up swallow and bat bugs and he said unlikely. I mentioned they looked similar unless they were looked at up close. Still said bed bug. He did not inspect around things- no cracks, baseboards, etc. He did not check the bed. He glanced at the couch. When he saw casings, he was all "look here". I did. And then proceeded to tell him those were carpet beetle casings. He acted as though I had no idea what I was talking about, then pulled one off and looked at it. "Oh, it is." Carpet beetle casings look different from afar and I would have expected this guy to be able to recognize that. Even if I hadn't read the FAQs here, this type of inspection would have set off warning bells. The company was Professional Termite and Pest Control out of Capon Bridge, WV.

He basically said that if I wasn't getting bitten and hadn't seen any to not worry about it for now. But he never did a visual inspection. Never set foot in the bedroom. Glanced at the couch and said that he wouldn't be able to find any with daylight around.

I called the landlord back and told him exactly these things. The guy doesn't show much emotion, but he didn't seem too happy either. I finally convinced him to call Ehrlich and give them permission to inspect the place. He said he would, so we'll see if they call me today to set up a time.

I am still considering moving though. I would consider a Vikane truck just to get rid of any and everything. I wouldn't have much stuff- most of the furniture was already here when I moved in 3 years ago. This whole lackidasical attitude is really ticking me off. And what's worse is that I could have had a proper inspection from a different company today, and now I'll have to wait til Friday afternoon at the latest because I have training Wed-Fri, unless they can come after 2:30.

34. Fed-up over being Fed-on

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 6 2012 22:24:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Nodame - 1 day ago  » 
    I am extremely ticked off now, to say the least. The PCO the landlord acquired was a hack. He was here barely 20 minutes. He barely glanced at the bug before saying bed bug. And I brought up swallow and bat bugs and he said unlikely. I mentioned they looked similar unless they were looked at up close. Still said bed bug. He did not inspect around things- no cracks, baseboards, etc. He did not check the bed. He glanced at the couch. When he saw casings, he was all "look here". I did. And then proceeded to tell him those were carpet beetle casings. He acted as though I had no idea what I was talking about, then pulled one off and looked at it. "Oh, it is." Carpet beetle casings look different from afar and I would have expected this guy to be able to recognize that. Even if I hadn't read the FAQs here, this type of inspection would have set off warning bells. The company was Professional Termite and Pest Control out of Capon Bridge, WV.
    He basically said that if I wasn't getting bitten and hadn't seen any to not worry about it for now. But he never did a visual inspection. Never set foot in the bedroom. Glanced at the couch and said that he wouldn't be able to find any with daylight around.
    I called the landlord back and told him exactly these things. The guy doesn't show much emotion, but he didn't seem too happy either. I finally convinced him to call Ehrlich and give them permission to inspect the place. He said he would, so we'll see if they call me today to set up a time.
    I am still considering moving though. I would consider a Vikane truck just to get rid of any and everything. I wouldn't have much stuff- most of the furniture was already here when I moved in 3 years ago. This whole lackidasical attitude is really ticking me off. And what's worse is that I could have had a proper inspection from a different company today, and now I'll have to wait til Friday afternoon at the latest because I have training Wed-Fri, unless they can come after 2:30.

I hope you get a resolution and some real answers soon. I am anxious to find out weather they are bat swallow, or chimney swift bugs.

35. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 6 2012 22:35:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Fed-up over being Fed-on - 4 minutes ago  » 
    I hope you get a resolution and some real answers soon. I am anxious to find out weather they are bat swallow, or chimney swift bugs.

I will find out tomorrow. There's a huge knot in my stomach, and I'm glad I have training all day until the time the PCO is supposed to come. I was told on the phone that he should be able to identify the bug closely, and if he cannot, he would bring it back to inspect. I also called an entomologist from WVU, but haven't heard back from him yet. I was curious to see what he might have to say. I keep trying to look closely at the bug with my phone flashlight and a magnifying glass and the hairs appear to be too long for a bed bug according to the information online. Then again, I could be placing too much hope in that. I just hope this PCO doesn't do what the last one did. They aren't on BBB or Yelp or Angie's List. The only thing I was able to do was writing a scathing post on bad_service on LiveJournal.

Since my last post, there have been no bites (unless I don't react. I do know I react to bug bites). I have found no evidence of any other live bugs either. I sleep in my bed and use the couch as the leaning post, just as I always have done. I really wish I could vacuum the bed. Kitties have shed on it, and there's the random piece of cat litter. I've left it alone just so it wouldn't mess anything up for the PCO. My bed has become an island as suggested, with DE around the posts. DE is also around the couch legs. I've not seen anything near the DE or dead from it. Part of me is glad, but the pessimistic part of me says that they're just being sneaky and hiding from me so I can't find them.

36. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jun 7 2012 0:18:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Nodame - 1 hour ago  » 

Fed-up over being Fed-on - 4 minutes ago  » 

I will find out tomorrow. There's a huge knot in my stomach, and I'm glad I have training all day until the time the PCO is supposed to come. I was told on the phone that he should be able to identify the bug closely, and if he cannot, he would bring it back to inspect. I also called an entomologist from WVU, but haven't heard back from him yet. I was curious to see what he might have to say. I keep trying to look closely at the bug with my phone flashlight and a magnifying glass and the hairs appear to be too long for a bed bug according to the information online. Then again, I could be placing too much hope in that. I just hope this PCO doesn't do what the last one did. They aren't on BBB or Yelp or Angie's List. The only thing I was able to do was writing a scathing post on bad_service on LiveJournal.
    Since my last post, there have been no bites (unless I don't react. I do know I react to bug bites). I have found no evidence of any other live bugs either. I sleep in my bed and use the couch as the leaning post, just as I always have done. I really wish I could vacuum the bed. Kitties have shed on it, and there's the random piece of cat litter. I've left it alone just so it wouldn't mess anything up for the PCO. My bed has become an island as suggested, with DE around the posts. DE is also around the couch legs. I've not seen anything near the DE or dead from it. Part of me is glad, but the pessimistic part of me says that they're just being sneaky and hiding from me so I can't find them.

Frankly, I wouldn't put too much hope in the ability of some random PCO to be able to differentiate between the various cimicidae. I would bet that nine out of ten would just call it a bed bug. You have two samples don't you? Why don't you send one to Lou. He has always been willing to do IDs for posters on the board in the past.

-rs1971

37. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jun 7 2012 2:36:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou seemed to feel strongly this was not swallow or bed bug, but emphasized to look for bats. You can PM me for his email if you want to send it to
    him.

38. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jun 7 2012 6:50:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 4 hours ago  » 
    Lou seemed to feel strongly this was not swallow or bed bug, but emphasized to look for bats. You can PM me for his email if you want to send it to
    him.

Thanks. I may PM you for that later. I haven't heard back from the entomologist I called so that may be my next option. I will post an update later on what the PCO says. This one is from Ehrlich so we'll see if he's any good. I hope so.

39. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jun 7 2012 7:36:42
    #

Login to Send PM

We need a better view of the head & eyes to tell if it's a bed or bat bug for sure. The others are carpet beetle cast skins which I think you know by now.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

40. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jun 7 2012 16:27:03
    #

Login to Send PM

The PCO I had asked for came today and things were much better overall. I also got a kick out of my one cat, Kyoko and her antics while he was here. She loves visitors and is not afraid of strangers.

He came in and I gave him my specimen that was in the bag. He looked at it and thought bed bug. I mentioned the hairs. He looked at it again with his magnifying glass/flashlight. Then he went to his car to get a bed bug specimen. He brought that back up and showed me it. Then viewed both under the lens. On the one I had, you could see the little hairs on its backside. The antennae were segmented and he said that it was not a bed bug. He even let me study both specimens. They didn't look alike under the lens. He said bat bug.

He then began looking in my bedroom. He found nothing on the bedding, mattress, or box spring. He ran his card through the cracks on the bed. Then he went to inspect the couch and saw nothing. He said he was almost certain it was a bat bug, but that there was also a small chance it could be another species of bed bug. He then asked me if I had captured it alive and I said yes, but that it had stopped moving in less than 24 hours. He said bed bugs do not do that, and keep on trucking for some time in captivity. He mentioned a woman who had caught one in a canning jar. Two weeks later that one was still going.

There was a different PCO that I had originally called that didn't need landlord approval coming tomorrow. I asked him about that. He said let them come and see what they say, but don't mention his own findings. He said that if I wanted, I could contact him on his card and he could pick up my specimen to be closely inspected by one of their entomologists, or I could send it to someone else. He recommended having it inspected, and he knew of Lou's work in the field when I mentioned him.

In the end he said that he didn't think I had bed bugs, but to keep an eye out. He was happy to answer any questions I asked or discuss things I'd researched online, and he complimented me on having done my homework. I asked him what I could do, and he had no suggestions other than being vigilant and to just let the other PCO come tomorrow to see.

No matter what, I'm still buying a packtite since I do travel. I am also going to make it my goal to clean up the clutter in my apartment. There's not a lot, but there are things that would be better off stored in plastic bins than just sitting on the floor, like the stack of teacher's manuals I keep by my couch. There's that lesson, and the one I've learned about checking hotel rooms and such.

If this bug is identified as being a bat bug by an entomologist, then I am going to send a letter to the other company that did my first inspection.

41. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 6:52:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I realized last night that I did a very stupid thing and did not show him the one specimen I found dead. I felt sick after realizing that because it was such a dumb mistake. Then this morning I woke up to find a bite on the inside of my elbow that was raised. There were two tiny dots nearby and together they made a C shape. It didn't itch and less than an hour later it's not raised anymore, and you can barely see any of the three.

I panicked this morning and emailed that PCO and was surprised when he called me back. He was concerned since he hadn't seen this bug. He did contact his company and talked to an entomologist about the first one, who is 95% sure without seeing it that it is a bat bug. I looked at the dead specimen and though his shape is a little different, he's still looking hairy to me, and his left antenna is also segmented. It looks like he's missing part of the right.

I just feel sick because I woke up with the the bites and had forgotten to check that other bug too. I have a different company's PCO coming today from before I scheduled the guy yesterday. I hope he has a high powered scope with him to check it. The only thing I found in searching this morning was a set of small carpet beetle larvae moving under the bed.

42. brooklyn_bites

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 9:13:57
    #

Login to Send PM

The two bugs you posted here appear to be of the same species, so I would not beat yourself up over not showing the PCO one of the two. If you're really worried, I'll bet you can forward him the images you posted here for verification. Good luck and keep us posted as things develop.

43. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 11:36:19
    #

Login to Send PM

"I looked at the dead specimen and though his shape is a little different, he's still looking hairy to me, and his left antenna is also segmented. It looks like he's missing part of the right."

All the bug images you posted were of (hairy vs non-hairy) cimicid bugs. All cimicids (bat, bed, bird) have segmented antennae, but if you compare them you will see that the relative lengths of the segments actually vary even though there are still the same total number of segments. Total number of antennal segments is 4. The rostrum or beak is 3 segmented. Considering all cimicid species, the antenna can look relatively long or stout. The beak can look relatively short or long, depends how far it extends under its head and toward the bases of the legs. Legs can be stout or more slender, too. Body can look relatively hairless or hairy depending how long the hairs (the setae) are and how they are setup on the insect body, that is, how densely they are packed. Actually not all bed bug setae are alike; they can vary microscopically.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  44. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 12:07:31
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 28 minutes ago  » 

"I looked at the dead specimen and though his shape is a little different, he's still looking hairy to me, and his left antenna is also segmented. It looks like he's missing part of the right."

All the bug images you posted were of (hairy vs non-hairy) cimicid bugs. All cimicids (bat, bed, bird) have segmented antennae, but if you compare them you will see that the relative lengths of the segments actually vary even though there are still the same total number of segments. Total number of antennal segments is 4. The rostrum or beak is 3 segmented. Considering all cimicid species, the antenna can look relatively long or stout. The beak can look relatively short or long, depends how far it extends under its head and toward the bases of the legs. Legs can be stout or more slender, too. Body can look relatively hairless or hairy depending how long the hairs (the setae) are and how they are setup on the insect body, that is, how densely they are packed. Actually not all bed bug setae are alike; they can vary microscopically.

I contacted nobugsforme for your address since he said he'd give it to me. Could you closely identify both specimens for me? I should meet the new PCO in a few hours, but I don't know if he'll be able to identify them. Erlich said they should be identified by an entomologist to be sure, even though theirs is nearly certain the live one was a bat bug from description. He said he could come get it next week or since I had contact with you that you could do it.

45. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jun 8 2012 14:52:43
    #

Login to Send PM

*sigh*

The other PCO was here. He looked at both specimens, but did not have a magnifying glass. He did an inspection and carefully looked at everything. He then found another one hanging from a cobweb in the small hallway outside of the bathroom. The cobweb was in the corner of the ceiling. There is a nice gap there for things to get through. He said it's very unlikely to be a bat bug. I mentioned that both specimens were hairy, and even the third one looked that way as well. It looked like the dead one I found under the bed, not like the live one. He said that the bed bug has hairs and that bat bugs don't have hairs on them except for around the anus.

He took all 3 specimens with him and will have their entomologist look at them on Monday morning. I will get them back that day because his company is near where my father works and he said he could just drop them off there. Then I can send them off to whoever I want.

He did scoff at the company the landlord had asked to come. I did get his bedbug paper from him and his card so I can call him on Monday before 9 AM. I told him about Erlich at the end, because he had asked. I don't think I'd use this PCO for treatments because he said they only use chemical treatments.

I have to go another weekend without knowing for sure. What should I be doing this weekend? I know I need to declutter. What should I do about clothing? Should I go ahead and dry it just in case, bagging the outfits I need? What do you do in between?

46. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 9 2012 14:21:18
    #

Login to Send PM

So an update from today.

I have started drying all clean clothing. Last night I bought plastic storage tubs for some of my stuff. Today I began working on each dresser drawer. I emptied slowly and ran a card through the inside cracks. I saw no traces of anything there that was alive, dead, or left behind by bed bugs. All I found were two carpet beetle casings. I would rather find these guys, but man, I never would have known they were around otherwise.

I also went through the stuff I had bagged earlier in the week from under the bed. Since it had been sitting in there all week, I put another bag on it and carried it outside to sort. I tossed the stuff that I didn't need and then sorted the rest into piles or things to packtite and things to just put right into storage because they couldn't be put through a packtite. I still have one bag left, but I have finished both bags that were stored in the bin where the dead bug was found. I could not find anything else that would proclaim bed bug. I also tossed the plastic bins because they were warped and not even duct tape would wave them.

No bites today. Nothing on the encasement either except cat hair and litter. I'm still keeping an eye out.

47. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 9 2012 20:54:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I came home tonight. It was near dark (around 9:30). There's no light around my door. I went to put my key in the lock and noticed a bug on the outer door frame. It looked like a bed bug. Not sure if it'd be a bat bug. I then looked up with my cell phone flashlight and saw another similar shaped bug under the eaves. I could not catch that one because I couldn't reach it, even with a step stool. I also noticed what seemed to be cast skins from something in a spider's web. I caught the other one though with tape. Do bed bugs live outside like this?

48. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 9 2012 21:12:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

I do not think that this is a bat bug or a bed bug. I think that it is a swallow bug (Oeciacus vicarius).

The image is not clear enough to know for certain. Keep trying for a better picture if possible (maybe a friend has a better camera).

Sean
    Entomologist

49. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 9 2012 21:43:30
    #

Login to Send PM

thebedbugresource - 28 minutes ago  » 
    Hello,
    I do not think that this is a bat bug or a bed bug. I think that it is a swallow bug (Oeciacus vicarius).
    The image is not clear enough to know for certain. Keep trying for a better picture if possible (maybe a friend has a better camera).
    Sean
    Entomologist

I no longer have my specimens. PCO took them to be identified by their entomologist. He will return them on Monday, and then I will send them to Lou to be IDed. I'm not sure what I have now that I found some crawling outside on the eaves and door frame :/

50. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 10 2012 8:49:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I took pictures of last night's bug from outside. Like I said, there was another far out of my reach under the eaves. Both were easy to spot because both areas are white.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/muilp3sutk61x2u/2012-06-09%2022.37.20.jpg
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/k8sb9k0tnppr4tq/2012-06-09%2022.37.42.jpg

51. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 10 2012 20:56:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I couldn't open up the picture but it may be my computer.

Isn't this a great site for education? The worst thing that could have happened would be a bug bomb...I know things are frantic but it sounds like you are doing the best you can. Good luck this week.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  52. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 10 2012 21:25:21
    #

Login to Send PM

theyareoutthere - 25 minutes ago  » 
    I couldn't open up the picture but it may be my computer.
    Isn't this a great site for education? The worst thing that could have happened would be a bug bomb...I know things are frantic but it sounds like you are doing the best you can. Good luck this week.

Yes, this site has been very helpful. I've been doing everything I should. I found another of the same type of bug tonight. I'm sure this one slipped in through a crack in the door. There are plenty of those... I've seen daylight through sections of it. It was dead on my doormat just inside. Same type of bug as the others I've caught.

I've finished laundering clothes in my dresser and those are now far away from here. I started doing the bagging of my clothes to be worn places, just in case. When my packtite comes Tuesday, I'll start using that for things as well. I plan to packtite and then place things into storage bins, mostly the things I don't need that are more for display than anything. Even if it's not bed bugs, I'd rather be prepared for a move and since I know I have carpet beetles, I'd like to not take those along with me.

53. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 10 2012 21:40:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I had a scare over a year ago..and in a way..it was helpful. I got a packtite..started some protocols for coming home (packtite almost every day) and have been decluttering.

It sounds odd that they are outside and coming in. One thing not discussed yet...if I remember correctly (and someone correct me)...is that the elderly sometimes don't react as much to bites... I don't have time to find the article and I could be very, very wrong.

54. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 10 2012 21:44:29
    #

Login to Send PM

theyareoutthere - 1 minute ago  » 
    I had a scare over a year ago..and in a way..it was helpful. I got a packtite..started some protocols for coming home (packtite almost every day) and have been decluttering.
    It sounds odd that they are outside and coming in. One thing not discussed yet...if I remember correctly (and someone correct me)...is that the elderly sometimes don't react as much to bites... I don't have time to find the article and I could be very, very wrong.

I look forward to using the packtite. I got the closet, and it'll help me to move a lot of my books out. They've already been read, and just sit on my shelves. I use my Kindle now for that. I also plan to packtite some of my cosplay items so that those will be safe as well. I discussed with my parents that whatever it is, my stuff is going to slowly be moved out.

At this point, I'm trying to see about renting a house. Issue would be pets, as I have two cats. Otherwise, I'll move out what I don't need here and live sparingly over the next 2 1/2 years because I plan to buy a house after that time.

55. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 10 2012 21:49:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I have the closet. It is nice because you can hang up coats etc when you come in. It takes a long time to work if you heavily load it. I gave away a lot of my books and the remaining are in contractor bags in the garage. I tried to give away (after packtiting) anything that I could get on kindle. i had a lot of the classics and a lot of mysteries. For those out of print, they are kept in contractor bags. I've been so busy and don't reread books, so they have never come back in the house.

Your post had me thinking...last year I had some sort of bird (doves) right outside my bedroom window until September. I think it's only swallows that have swallow bugs. Another thing to monitor.

Good luck!

56. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 10 2012 21:54:45
    #

Login to Send PM

theyareoutthere - 2 minutes ago  » 
    I have the closet. It is nice because you can hang up coats etc when you come in. It takes a long time to work if you heavily load it. I gave away a lot of my books and the remaining are in contractor bags in the garage. I tried to give away (after packtiting) anything that I could get on kindle. i had a lot of the classics and a lot of mysteries. For those out of print, they are kept in contractor bags. I've been so busy and don't reread books, so they have never come back in the house.
    Your post had me thinking...last year I had some sort of bird (doves) right outside my bedroom window until September. I think it's only swallows that have swallow bugs. Another thing to monitor.
    Good luck!

Well I like to collect my books so I don't want to give them away. I'm a teacher so I have a shelf of reference/children's books as well. There are a lot of birds nesting nearby on the front of the house, but my bugs don't resemble swallow bugs as much. I want to say they are bat bugs, but I don't know. I'll be able to call the PCO tomorrow that came on Friday, but I'm not sure on trusting him, even though the entomologist with them is looking at it. He said he can't give me a certified report for legal reasons. It's kind of why I want to get Lou to look at them as well. The bugs I've recently caught resemble the live bug I first found.

57. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jun 11 2012 8:33:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Help

Called the PCO this morning to see what the entomologist had found. He said it was bed bugs I told him about the 3 outside and he said that wasn't typical of bat bugs. He wanted to get those three this week, but I told him no, that I was just sending everything to Lou, along with the others.

I don't know what to do though. What do I do? I can't find a centralized location and bugs have been found in 4 spots (if you count the outside). I still have no bites and no evidence on my bed at all.

I'm really confused now.

58. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jun 11 2012 11:33:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Nodame - 1 day ago  » 
    I took pictures of last night's bug from outside. Like I said, there was another far out of my reach under the eaves. Both were easy to spot because both areas are white.

They don't look like Cimex lectularius so would be useful to see them in addition to any others that have been collected.
    Has any host animal (a bird or bat) been identified from your home.

59. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Jun 11 2012 11:56:38
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 15 minutes ago  » 

Nodame - 1 day ago  » 

They don't look like Cimex lectularius so would be useful to see them in addition to any others that have been collected.
    Has any host animal (a bird or bat) been identified from your home.

No host creature has been identified yet because none of the PCOs had the capability to check and the one (not counting the hack) feels that it is bed bugs after the entomologist checked it. However I don't think he took good care of my specimens and later told my dad that some crucial parts were missing, like antennae. He didn't tell me that at all. I have been working in the back room this. Morning and found a live one on the baseboard near the window. I checked that area for other signs, but saw nothing. That room has just as many cracks so it wouldn't surprise me if it got in elsewhere. It was the hairiest of any I'd found so far. I could shine the flashlight on it and see the hairs.

I'm also starting to lose faith in that PCO as he told my dad bed bugs only live for a few days and then die and I know that's completely wrong. If their PCO spouts that kind of info, can I really trust their entomologist?

60. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 13 2012 0:23:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Received my packtite closet today and climbups. Continued more cleanup. I did find two smaller bugs of the same kind as the others just a little bit ago. This time they were in the bathroom. Tomorrow I plan to caulk that since it's as well sealed as the rest of the place. These bugs also appear to have a slightly hairy backside, just as the others. I sent the other specimens to Lou yesterday (since its now after 1am here). I hope to learn something because now I've found a specimen in every room and I don't know what to do nowhere is safe now.

61. Louise

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 13 2012 0:41:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Definitely send the bugs to Lou to try and get a definitive ID. I understand your misgivings about this PCO and their entomologist.

When we had our run-in with bat bugs at our cabin three years ago, I found a casing on a windowsill (after discovering the first bug floating dead in a bucket of water under the window...a long story involving a bat, a bite and a round of rabies shots for all). The PCO insisted that it couldn't be a bat bug/bed bug casing because "they like dark places. There's no way they'd be on the windowsill."

Until she saw it for herself and confirmed that it was indeed the casing of a bed bug, bat bug or swallow bug. So apparently sometimes these bugs *do* do things that aren't "typical."

We lived out of plastic bags and bins for the remainder of the summer, but after the initial search (where I found two live bugs, one dead bug and the aforementioned casing), we have yet to find another bat bug (since that is what they ended up being ID'd as by the entomologist). No one, to our knowledge, was ever bitten. Well, at least not by a bat bug. The bat is another story!

In spite of our carelessness for the first two years of owning the cabin, we never brought any home with us, in spite of clothing being left on floors and in beds and then brought back to our home (yes, even pajamas that sometimes went from the beds in the cabin to beds at home!). I'm still trying to wrap my head around how that was even possible...unless bat bugs are significantly different from their bed bug cousins.

At any rate, you can find a synopsis of our experience in this thread:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/we-have-bat-bugs

I know it's hard not to panic and to feel hopeless and helpless (believe me, I know), but if it *is* bat bugs, that may be reason to be encouraged. It sounds like you're doing everything right, and you have what is arguably (or not...it may just be a slam-dunk, with no challengers coming close!) the best source of support with the people and the information (especially the people - thanks again, Nobugs!) on this website.

Keep breathing. Think happy thoughts. And know that it really does get better. The fear, stress and obsession truly do fade with time and distance...or at least they did for me (which didn't keep me from panicking when I thought I had found one in our home a few months ago - it was a ladybug without wings, as it turns out - but so far, so good).

There is life after bed bugs (or bat bugs). And it is good.

Louise

62. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 13 2012 9:07:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Louise. I went and started caulking all the cracks I could get to in the bathroom. In the process of doing so, I found another tiny one near a crack in the ceiling. I happensd to catch it in tape too. That makes 3 from there. All were smaller though, probably about half the size of the others. Except for the live one in the living room and the dead one in the under the bed plastic bin, all of these bugs have either been found near cracks of some kind or outside the dwelling.

63. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 16 2012 8:27:11
    #

Login to Send PM

This morning I got a call from Ehrlich's entomologist in my area. He had been sent the 3 tiny ones from the bathroom. He identified them as bat bugs. All that I have left is to see what Lou says about the ones I sent him. So, fingers crossed there.

Since my last posting, I've not seen anymore bugs, dead or alive. If they are bat bugs, they've lost a lot of their entrances via cracks due to caulking. There hasn't been anything in the climbups, and nothing on my bed that would say anything. I haven't checked the guest bed thoroughly yet, but from the sides visible after stripping, it looks clean as well.

64. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 16 2012 8:37:09
    #

Login to Send PM

While I'm always amazed at the continued distribution of various items of misinformation regarding bed bugs we are wise to maintain our vigilance and a level of healthy skepticism.

However, with your specimen on their way to Lou, you will soon know for sure "what's what" and that's a good thing.

I hope your situation resolves quickly.

Have a great day ! paul b.

65. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 16 2012 8:42:50
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello - 2 minutes ago  » 
    While I'm always amazed at the continued distribution of various items of misinformation regarding bed bugs we are wise to maintain our vigilance and a level of healthy skepticism.
    However, with your specimen on their way to Lou, you will soon know for sure "what's what" and that's a good thing.
    I hope your situation resolves quickly.
    Have a great day ! paul b.

Well, no matter what, I'm glad I found this forum because I wouldn't have known a lot of things. I also wouldn't have known what kind of PCO to look for, and that 2 of the 3 that I did use were quick to judge and very unknowledgable. I've also been telling people that if they someday find themselves with bed bugs to come here first because everyone's so helpful.

66. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jun 17 2012 21:06:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Bump...good luck...hope you get some news this week.

67. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jun 21 2012 12:42:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I contacted Lou today. He hasn't had a chance to look closely at what I sent him, but he could tell me that it isn't the common bed bug. So it's either bat/swallow bug or some other strand of bed bug.

Here's what I can add since I last updated:

- one dead bug near a crack in the kitchen wall
    - no bugs seen at all outside since last posting
    - no live bugs found
    - no bugs found near areas that were caulked or in other areas
    ---- unless you count the sudden hatching of flies that slipped in the bathroom window somehow... fly massacre
    - nothing in the climbup traps that have been on the bed since the 12th
    ---- unless you count the carpet beetle larvae I caught
    - no traces or signs of bed bugs
    - no bites of any kind
    - I use my couch more often and always sleep in my bed so there's ample chances for a meal

68. Louise

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jun 21 2012 14:00:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the update, nodame.

I always like to keep an eye on the threads where posters have had confirmed cases of bat bugs (vs. bed bugs). From what I've been able to tell in doing so (purely anecdotal, of course...including my own experience), bat bugs don't seem to be quite the same menace that bed bugs are.

Please keep us updated, even if nothing further develops.

Louise

69. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jun 26 2012 16:06:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Today has not been a good day. I was in my room straightening up because I'm getting a new ac unit tomorrow. At one point I was on the floor near one of the baseboards and saw a bug crawling near the bottom. I caught it and it looks the same as my other bugs have. I found another one near that area too. The wall they were both found near is shared with the living room. There was also a nice opening for anything near the corner of the wall, and I'm sure it extends below the carpet.

The last time I found a bug was the 13th and it wasn't in my room but the bathroom. The climbups on my bed have collected nothing. I haven't gotten any bug bites but one last week and I found that while at my parents. I haven't heard anything from Lou. All I did for the area where I found them today was caulk what I could of the crack and then place a light dusting of DE along where the carpet meets the wall. Even though Lou has said its not the common bed bug, shouldn't the climbups have shown something by now? I use my couch more than ever now and still nothing. This is driving me crazy.

70. Nodame

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Jun 27 2012 21:33:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Ugh.

Today I was working in my bedroom. I wanted to caulk an area in the baseboard I had found and moved a large bookshelf. This bookshelf sits under the square that leads to the attic. I moved the bookshelf out and found another bug crawling on the back of it. Same as the others I've found, and I didn't find any others. Couldn't find any fecal stains on the back of the shelf or other traces. I need to inspect the top though.

Nearly all the books on that shelf have been packtited and I've never found anything in the bottom of the packtite at the end of any session so unless a bug got into a book and never crawled out to die, I don't know.

I don't know, but after finding 3 bugs like this, it's really freaking me out. Still nothing on the bed or in the climbups, and it's been almost 1 month since I found the first live bug. For those who have been reading, they've always (except the first) been found on the ceiling, near a crack in the baseboard, or outside on the door frame. PCO I trusted and the entomologist there say bat bug. Last update from Lou was "not the common bed bug". :/ No other signs found. No bites on me. I don't know what to think.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs