found dead bug in carpet below bed [a: young silverfish]

(3 posts)
  1. manytravels

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Jul 10 2017 23:57:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I noticed a dead bug near my phone charger cable on the carpet near my bed. I haven't experienced any bites, but this bed stood out to me as a possible bed bug because of the stripes on its back and the red color on the belly. Can any experts weigh in on this one?

http://imgur.com/a/vocPL

Thank you in advance.

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jul 11 2017 6:47:51
    #

Login to Send PM

manytravels - 6 hours ago  » 
    I noticed a dead bug near my phone charger cable on the carpet near my bed. I haven't experienced any bites, but this bed stood out to me as a possible bed bug because of the stripes on its back and the red color on the belly. Can any experts weigh in on this one?
    http://imgur.com/a/vocPL
    Thank you in advance.

Too many people get caught up in "stripes" and red coloration because these 2 characteristics don't uniquely describe bed bugs. Insect bodies and especially evident in the abdomen are comprised of obvious dorsal and ventral plates. This is the striping, the horizontal striping, of the body. The red coloration in bed bug nymphs would be recently eaten blood and as digestion continues the coloration goes to brown and eventually black. The body sizes decreases as blood in the gut gets digested. Adult coloration is light brown to reddish brown and it will appear slightly more reddish when blood fills its gut after feeding. It also appears more shiny as the abdominal segments move apart from one another exposing the shiny front section of the segment that had been hidden from view by the segment in front of it. The intersegmental membrane allows the blood from the gut to show through.
    It's too bad you couldn't have gotten closer to the insect to take the picture because zooming in results in breakup of it, but it looks like it could be a young silverfish that has had much of its body scales rubbed off. A more macro shot could clear this up.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. manytravels

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Jul 11 2017 10:32:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for such a well written reply, Lou. The insect has been disposed of, but this is reassuring given how many silverfish we have.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,643 posts in 50,005 topics over 154 months by 21,867 of 22,348 members. Latest: jaa5108, fightingback, Jenloaa