Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Found bugs in hotel room - what to do next?

(4 posts)
  1. gtiviti10

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Mar 14 2010 15:38:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I woke up very early yesterday morning in my hotel room and found bedbugs around me on the bed (its a very nice hotel). I showed the hotel and they apologized, moved me to another room, and dry-cleaned my clothes. I understand the bites may not show up for a while, but I am staying in this hotel for the next week . What sort of compensation should I expect from the hotel for this inconvenience, stress, etc? I see tons of articles on lawsuits and such and its a very big chain, so I assume they may have a policy on what to do for their managers. Not sure what to expect - anyone been in this situation?

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Mar 14 2010 16:01:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I think they did just about all they can or should do. You did the right thing bringing it to their attention.

I'm sure they will move quickly to eradicate the problem but it’s all they can do. They are always at risk because of the turn over a hotel has. Make sure you take all the proper steps to ensure you don't spread them yourself or bring them home. Read the FAQ's here to see how to protect yourself during travel.. Good luck!

3. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Mar 14 2010 17:21:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Your priority at this stage is to take the steps to ensure that you do not take the problem home with you.

Read the FAQ's here, get things organised before you get home and at a least isolate all the items in ziplock bags or saran wrap before you take it into the property.

I would always suggest that you look at dealing with the problem rather than seeking compensation and to be frank that is not even a relevant question at this stage as should you take the problem home with you would be facing the extermination costs on top of compensation. If you strike a deal with the hotel before you vacate at the end of the week then that may absolve them from responsibility should that occur.

I am also a big exponent of resolving the issues rather than resorting to litigation. In reality you are looking at a free night or two rather than a multi million dollar lawsuit as long as you don't take them home with you.

Otherwise I hate to think how this forum would be diluted with ambulance chasers.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Mar 14 2010 23:15:18
    #

Login to Send PM

If they only dry cleaned your clothing, it may not be enough. Remember they can crawl in a suitcase or into a shoe or laptop.

Take the precautions listed in this FAQ to make sure you don't take them home.

I agree with others above that the real problem is not being bitten in a hotel but what happens if they come home with you.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,610 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956