Found bugs in couch, treated but.....

(9 posts)
  1. lokii_0

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jun 8 2010 22:45:25
    #

Login to Send PM

So my roomy and I started seeing bites maybe a week ago. Finally figured out what they were, called the landlady who had their exterminator in today.
    We had seen what we thought was a bug on the couch, so he checked there, in all the folds, underneath with a flashlight, etc. Found 1 or 2 live bugs, 2 nymphs, and a couple of eggs, all of which he sprayed with a can of something. He claimed that his spray would keep the eggs from developing. There was I think just one spot of fecal matter found, basically he said we had caught them very early. But he also said that he hadn't seen the mother of the eggs when he sprayed. He checked other furniture briefly, and the bedroom headboard and mattress briefly again, pointing out what to look for and said that there was nothing there at this time. He said to have the landlady call him if we got any more bites, and left. He also said that bedbugs hated light and that they don't usually crawl through walls without some sort of incentive (like not having their food source for a while and sensing another host on the other side of the wall).

The landlady said to wait over the weekend and call her next week if we had any problems and that if we didn't mind doing all the prep work that she could have the pest control person spray our entire apartment. She also claimed, repeatedly, that they had not had any other reports of bed bugs in the building.

So what I'm wondering is a) is this guy right or is he totally incompetent? and b) what do we do now?

2. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jun 8 2010 23:01:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Your guy sounds great!

Next time he comes, get the names of the chemicals. It sounds like he might be talking about Gentrol, for which I have heard like 3 explanations. No one says it kills eggs, but its supposed to either sterilize the adult OR keep the nymphs from growing to adults.

I would do the prep work. Do it now. Also keep a journal of your bites, knowing that they may be delayed from showing up.

3. lokii_0

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jun 8 2010 23:58:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the response! What I'm wondering, though, is when the guy should come back, and if whatever it was that he had in one spray can would be effective on eggs, live bugs, and on killing any other bugs which come into contact with it later?

I'm concerned that he didn't seem concerned about a follow-up visit, and spent maybe a minute each on the other living room furniture and on the bed.

4. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jun 9 2010 0:22:00
    #

Login to Send PM

He should come back. If he already found nymphs and eggs there are sure to be more.
    It takes up to 11 days for eggs to hatch? (in the summer months would that be less?)

So whatever he sprayed will work for a few days but wont get the next round of eggs.
    My understanding is you need to have multiple treatments spaced 2 weeks apart.

maybe look into a vacuum?

5. lokii_0

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jun 9 2010 1:09:15
    #

Login to Send PM

ok, thanks. I bought a vacuum with a HEPA filter and a washable filter, but it doesn't have a disposable bag, just a plastic reservoir, so I think it might be going back (haven't used it yet) for something else. One site recommended wet/dry vacs as they tend to be mostly made of plastic and therefore are more easily cleaned.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jun 9 2010 1:13:08
    #

Login to Send PM

He sprayed one single product? That seems a bit unusual. What was it?

I am not a PCO, but most of the ones who are active here suggest a multi-pronged approach which may include steam, one or often multiple types of residual sprays, and dusts.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. OCDthx2BBs

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jun 9 2010 1:25:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Ive posted a lot on here in the past few days, so sorry if its repeat for you! Our couch was the source of our small infestation too- and our PCO steamed not only the couch, but all of my living room furniture & even my baby's swing, dusted the cracks of our couch, took apart our bed & sprayed (aerosol can) our bed rails, and sprayed our entire living room and bedroom with this big metal can. And we only had 2 bugs that I killed before I knew what they were and he found one single bug- no fecal matter, no eggs & no nymphs. This was 12 days ago. Since then, I've killed 7 more bugs- 7 adults & 2 babies total. They traveled to our bed, so I encased and double sided taped and booby-trapped our bed lol. Our guy said ours is small too, but they multiply quick, so were being cautious.

Advice for the vaccuum- IF it has an attachment hose- I read on here that you can use a nylon stocking and push about 6 inches of it into the tube and fold the rest outside and hook the attachment to that- then vaccuum. Anything you catch will be filtered into the stocking. This way, you don't contaminate your vac & you can identify & dispose of properly what you find. Hope this helps!

8. lokii_0

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jun 9 2010 1:41:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow. See, this is why I'm worried that he really didn't do a proper job. Any ideas? Oh, and can I safely dispose of my couch? Won't bugs or eggs fall off of the couch into the apt hallway, etc as I drag it out? Whatever he sprayed definitely DID kill some, because I found a dead bed bug in one of the couch crevices, but it seems unlikely to also kill the eggs, or prevent them from hatching, whatever.

9. lokii_0

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jun 9 2010 2:54:36
    #

Login to Send PM

So in addition to the one dried up dead bug that I found, we just found two live bugs crawling around in various crevices of the couch. I think this exterminator is crap.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,850 posts in 50,050 topics over 155 months by 21,878 of 22,364 members. Latest: Datnguyen, Mariam, GoingBananas