Found Bites, But No Bugs

(10 posts)
  1. Bitten_Kitten

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 18:55:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I've never had bed bugs before, so I'm a total newbie here. Yesterday I woke up with a line of three small, red bites on my stomach that match the description of bed bug bites- I've heard about the whole "breakfast, lunch and dinner" pattern, so when I saw that there was a line of three, I immediately freaked. I called in sick to work and spent the day doing laundry, and brought my vacuum cleaner in for a long-overdue repair. I also picked up a spray bottle of stuff called EcoBugFree- the active ingredients are Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Chloride and Potassium Sorbate.

Yesterday I washed all my bedding and some clothing, and sprayed the mattress and bed frame/headboard/etc. with the EcoBugFree. After awhile I also sprayed everything with isopropyl alcohol, on a friend's recommendation. I had hoped that that would do the trick, but this morning I woke up with more bites, also around my waist, but this time closer to my back. I also noticed three or four other similar marks in the same region of my body, but I'm not sure if they happened Sunday night or last night. I'm hoping that, if they are bed bug bites, that it's just one bug that might have stowed away on me (maybe at a party I went to Saturday night, or simply riding the subway), and that I'll be able to kill it before it multiplies.

***My BIGGEST CONCERN is my cat. If you have resolved a bed bug problem and are a cat owner, especially if your cat sleeps in your bed with you (mine does), please advise as much as you can. Also, I live in a studio apartment, so it's not possible to shut my cat out of the bedroom or anything like that.***

The next steps I plan to take are vacuuming, applying DE, and I was also going to experiment with making some masking tape or duct tape barriers to catch the little sucker. I was thinking that tonight I would sleep on the bare mattress, with duct tape all around the edge, basically acting as human bait. I'm also going to continue applying the EcoBugFree and alcohol, as much as is possible without getting the DE wet.

It's also important to mention that I haven't actually seen ANY bugs, or sign of bugs. The problem with trying to find it, my bed sheets are dark red, so bloodstains don't show up, and my bedframe is wood, the same color brown as a bed bug might be. It's basically the perfect set-up for a bedbug to hideout in, which is why I'm optimistic about a tape trap doing the work for me.

Any advice? Feedback? Support? Could someone please send me some Xanax? The scotch is running low.

2. Bitten_Kitten

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 20:05:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Here are some photos of the marks on my skin, around my stomach and waist, all on my left side. Please let me know what you think- this is the only evidence I'm going on that I might have picked up a bed bug.

I have not done any traveling within the past few weeks, and none of my friends have bed bugs currently, although last month some members of my circle of friends did attend a party down in Washington DC at a house they later discovered had bed bugs.

The first set of three.

A closer look at the first three.

I noticed these ones this morning. If they are bed bug bites, it looks like the sucker had two servings of "breakfast" and "dinner," but settled for a light lunch.

Please let me know what you think! I'm really trying to just stay calm and keep it together. Thank you!

3. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 20:10:25
    #

Login to Send PM

There's a Bite Primer (in green sticky area). You really can't rely on bites to diagnose. It may make you feel better to monitor with passive monitoring or some other system.

I get marks like that from skin conditions. Please...release the whiskey bottle...hope it's ok to joke..but you should read the FAQS...maybe look into a monitoring system..change your sheets to white if that will help monitoring and read up on how to monitor for them..

I'm not an expert...just feel sorry for you because this is what I did about a year ago...I'm glad I learned a lot without having bugs..but don't drive yourself crazy..you probably don't have them (I'm pulling for you!)

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  4. Bitten_Kitten

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 22:20:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much for your response, it made me feel better. My point of view is, joking is the best thing for the worst things, so levity is absolutely appreciated.

I just got back from the hardware store with Safer Brand DE (http://www.saferbrand.com/store/insect-control/51702)- I asked the clerk and he said it would be fairly safe to use around my cat, but didn't disagree that it could still make her sick. I plan to be very careful and only put a small amount around crevices, hopefully away from any spot where my cat might cuddle up. Unfortunately, it didn't come with any sort of applicator, which I keep reading is the best way to apply it. Any opinions on this one?

I have read through the FAQs, and I really want one of those passive monitors, but I was unemployed for the past few months and I'm just starting to get out of debt (money problems and bed bug problems seriously don't mix). I feel like the masking tape/duct tape method is the most affordable way to monitor right now.

Please say a prayer that I don't find anything, and that these marks on my skin just clear up! Thank you!

5. toronto_lady_m

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 12 2012 4:13:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Kitten,
    Where are you going to put the tape? I would love one of those moniters as well, but have the same problem you do: BB possibilities and debt! I also have a cat, and am so afraid of even putting borax down *for roaches we had in distant past*, not to mention the DE! Let me know what you find!
    M

6. Bitten_Kitten

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 15 2012 1:09:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi M,

I stripped my bed and put the tape all around the edge of the mattress. I've just been sleeping on a bare mattress for the past few days, with the tape all around me. So far I haven't seen any bugs stuck to the tape, but I also haven't found any more marks on my skin since Tuesday. I've heard of other people putting tape all around the headboard/bedframe/hard surfaces of the bed, but since I wasn't sure if it was coming from the box spring or the bed frame, I figured it might be the best way.

I was terrified of my cat getting sick from DE, but I put a light coating of it all over the crevices of my bed frame, sprinkled it in between the mattress and box spring, and also on the floor around the legs of my bed. My cat has been absolutely fine, and shown no signs of illness, to my great relief. She is far more annoyed by the tape on the mattress, but she's adapting to it, as you can see:

I used both duct tape and masking tape, thinking the duct tape would stick more firmly to an upholstered surface, but the masking tape has actually held more securely.

So no signs of bugs or bites in the past few days, which makes me very hopeful that the marks I found were caused by something else. Best of luck to you as well!

7. toronto_lady_m

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 15 2012 1:39:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Kitten,
    Your kitteh is beautiful! She looks oh so happy in that picture lol
    As for the tape, I tried that.. twice in the past month and a half, but have a very hard time keeping it on my bed. Tried masking, and packing, and my cat is like addicted to it no matter what I use. She can't keep away from it.. sometimes licking it!~ Regardless, it seems to come off while I sleep, and I usually tear some of it off at some point.. the taping of the bed the second time was almost as annoying as the BBs! I had to sleep in the middle of my bed, trying not to let my sheet or pillow touch the tape, and trying to remember to not have my foot dangling.. which happens a lot because I sleep kinda weird! It was a stressed out sleep, I was so constricted and uncomfortable. I am just a tad too tall for my bed, I have a Double, and I'm almost 5'10"! So anyhow, I see the way you've done it; differently than I had done, so I might give it another go!
    However, I haven't had any "new bites" for the past 3 nights, *knock on wood*, but I'm still doubtful that anything has changed. I check everything every night before I go to bed.. it's like a routine now.
    Regarding your cat, do you think that she might be getting bit too? I am so worried about my cat being bit by something that I can't find, and it's not like she can tell me when she's uncomfortable. I feel bad for my cat, and sometimes I see her jump out of her bed and freak out, and run halfway across the room, after being dead sleeping. O_O Very strange!
    Keep us updated anyways
    M

8. stopthebedbugs

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 8 2012 12:14:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Helo guys! I REALLY need help! A few weeks ago, I went to my cousin(who has bed bugs) house. Two mornings later I woke up with two EXTREMELY itchy bumps on my foot. I freaked out and washed my sheets and ALL my clothes. I also bombed my room with bed bug spray. Its about 3 weeks later and I haven't found any bed bugs but i have these non-itchy pimple-like bumps on my face and I woke up this morning with bumps on my stomach. I DON'T know what to do! I want to call an exterminator but my parents believe that I am being paranoid! They think that my paranoia is making the bumps appear!! I don't know what to do. Please help

9. littlebites

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Mar 22 2013 20:12:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Bitten_Kitten - 8 months ago  » 
    I've never had bed bugs before, so I'm a total newbie here. Yesterday I woke up with a line of three small, red bites on my stomach that match the description of bed bug bites- I've heard about the whole "breakfast, lunch and dinner" pattern, so when I saw that there was a line of three, I immediately freaked. I called in sick to work and spent the day doing laundry, and brought my vacuum cleaner in for a long-overdue repair. I also picked up a spray bottle of stuff called EcoBugFree- the active ingredients are Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Chloride and Potassium Sorbate.
    Yesterday I washed all my bedding and some clothing, and sprayed the mattress and bed frame/headboard/etc. with the EcoBugFree. After awhile I also sprayed everything with isopropyl alcohol, on a friend's recommendation. I had hoped that that would do the trick, but this morning I woke up with more bites, also around my waist, but this time closer to my back. I also noticed three or four other similar marks in the same region of my body, but I'm not sure if they happened Sunday night or last night. I'm hoping that, if they are bed bug bites, that it's just one bug that might have stowed away on me (maybe at a party I went to Saturday night, or simply riding the subway), and that I'll be able to kill it before it multiplies.
    ***My BIGGEST CONCERN is my cat. If you have resolved a bed bug problem and are a cat owner, especially if your cat sleeps in your bed with you (mine does), please advise as much as you can. Also, I live in a studio apartment, so it's not possible to shut my cat out of the bedroom or anything like that.***
    The next steps I plan to take are vacuuming, applying DE, and I was also going to experiment with making some masking tape or duct tape barriers to catch the little sucker. I was thinking that tonight I would sleep on the bare mattress, with duct tape all around the edge, basically acting as human bait. I'm also going to continue applying the EcoBugFree and alcohol, as much as is possible without getting the DE wet.
    It's also important to mention that I haven't actually seen ANY bugs, or sign of bugs. The problem with trying to find it, my bed sheets are dark red, so bloodstains don't show up, and my bedframe is wood, the same color brown as a bed bug might be. It's basically the perfect set-up for a bedbug to hideout in, which is why I'm optimistic about a tape trap doing the work for me.
    Any advice? Feedback? Support? Could someone please send me some Xanax? The scotch is running low.

10. littlebites

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Mar 22 2013 20:14:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello!
    I just read your post from months ago and it sounds just like what I am going through! Wondering what you ever found? Did your bites turn out to be bed bugs?
    I would really like to know if that is what I am facing.
    Thanks,

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,942 posts in 49,856 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19