Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Found Bedbug in Hotel Help!

(3 posts)
  1. trentb

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed May 22 2019 11:33:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, we checked in at a sketchy hotel last Friday (only one it town, not much choice) at 5pm. Did a pretty thorough inspection and didn't find anything, and the mattress had a cover on it. I lay down to sleep at 10pm and feel a bug crawling on me, got it with a tissue and 1000% sure it was a bedbug, as per google image search. We checked out immediately, and took off all of our clothes we were wearing in the room and left them there in garbage. Had our suitcases on luggage racks there too. Traveled an hour away to a new nice hotel. We had to stay at one more hotel the next night halfway on drive home. So our belongings were in our car for a 10 hour drive. Once home, we actually threw everything away except our phones/chargers and a laptop. Threw away our entire suitcases and contents inside. Stripped the clothes we wore on the drive home in the garage, and washed them immediately and dried on high heat.

What are the chances we will get bedbugs? What are the chances they will infest our car because of our luggage? I am a severe germaphobe and suffer from anxiety already. This is overtaking my life the last few days. I am on edge and can't sleep. I do have bites on my legs but I am in florida, and we have lots of mosquitos in our yard, sometimes in house. Any other tips for prevention would be highly appreciated. We did get our car detailed after, they vacuumed but did not steam.

Big question: How long will it take to know if we are in the clear

2. trentb

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri May 24 2019 10:43:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Can anyone assist?

3. Scared88

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri May 24 2019 11:02:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I had similar questions after my husband encountered bed bugs at a hotel during work trip. Unfortunately no one can tell you what are the chances you brought them home. Best advice is to put a monitoring system in place (read the FAQs for this). Personally, I have climb-ups installed under bed posts and a Passive Monitor on the couch.

As far as timeline, this varies but if no signs (again, check FAQs - live samples, cast skins, feces) after 4 weeks, probably in the clear.

I too have bites on my legs and have trouble controlling my anxiety/fear that they could be from BBs. But I know mosquitos are out and I haven't found any concrete BBs signs otherwise. Been just about 1.5 weeks from the hotel incident...

Good luck to you

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,668 posts in 48,867 topics over 151 months by 21,454 of 21,857 members. Latest: frejohansen, Bedbugs47, Ccronk22@gmail.com