Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Found Bed Bug But Can't Find Source - Please PLEASE Help!

(7 posts)
  1. Mochi

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri Nov 9 2018 4:59:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I went to edit my post and it deleted it somehow? Anyways, the original post:

Recently my husband (or more like our cat) found a bed bug alive on our Poppin box (it is a seat/storage container with the top as a cushion and outside is fabric). We opened the box and found one more alive, and a dead one dried up. These two were on the underside of the lid. This box has now been put in two trash bags and ducked tapped to death. It sits in the middle of the kitchen as I type this.

We have never had bed bugs, and haven't even been traveling at all this year or last year. I work from home, and have been bed ridden for almost two weeks from post vein stenting. So this discovery has us mortified. Even worse, we can NOT find the source! This box was in the middle of the living room, island to itself next to an identical one (our "make shift" couch). The identical one does not have any bugs, traces, cases, etc. But the one we found the bugs in, also did not have any eggs, casings, poops, etc. When we killed them, they had no blood. We have torn our place apart and have not found anything!

At first I thought they came from a dusty Mac tower I recently acquired from work (my company lets me work at home; this was in their office unused for a year). We opened it up, and only found dust. No casings, bugs, etc.

So I am having a lot of anxiety right now as to wtf is happening. We have never had bites either. How can I kill an infestation, when there is not a clear indicator of them even living in our apartment for long? How do I prevent this from spreading when I can't find their eggs? I am also hesitant on letting our land lord know, until I am able to bag certain things. I am worried their methods will force me to throw away or destroy valuable things to me carelessly (like my artwork, photos, books, bags, clothes; I doubt they care about my anxiety to be patient with me). I also can not lift more than 5lbs, or my stents could collapse and I end up in the ICU. My husband works two jobs, so this discovery is extremely stressful and we do not have time, money or the health for it. What should we do? Could these have come from next door? Are we responsible for paying for a full inspection and for them to "bomb" the place? We seriously do not have the funds for this. Any insight to help calm us down would be greatly appreciated, but I know there is no good news...

EDIT:
    Image of dead one as proof.

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri Nov 9 2018 11:58:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Going about everything wrong. The source? you found bug in your place - at the moment you are the source. Where it came from? Anywhere.

Notify your land lord asap and take action finding a professional to help solve your problem. Bed bugs are not a hobby so I would want the best in there yesterday.

3. SalsaVince

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri Nov 9 2018 13:16:21
    #

Login to Send PM

The PCO is not going to make you throw away anything unless it is badly infested. It sounds like your infestation is not that bad yet since you haven't seen anymore or suffering from bites (although some people do not react to bites). Since you are recovering from some health problems, the last thing you need to be doing is trying to fight bed bugs by yourself without any professional help. As Killer Queen said, the best course of action that will alleviate your anxiety as quickly as possible is to work with your landlord to get a pro. It is a very stressful experience but it can be solved so you can focus on getting better.

Tell me a success story, please!
    Vince
  4. keephopealive

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri Nov 9 2018 13:20:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Does look a lot like a bedbug....

I would be optimistic about the possibility of having caught the issue early as based on your description if the signs are that limited then you may stand a good chance of nipping the issue in the bud early. It may be worth contacting some local PCOs to see if they can do a free inspection and also learn how to inspect yourself as well as buy some passive monitors to check the bed/sofa etc. to see if you can narrow down the affected areas.

Most items can be treated and any that can't due to unusual construction/delicacy can always be thoroughly sealed and stored for 18 months minimum to ensure that any surviving bugs die.

Either way, I would inform your landlord as it could be that a neighboring unit is affected and they are finding their way to you; or the other way around....as KQ says, the sooner you address the issue, the better.

p.s Definitely do not bomb the place; this will result in dispersal and a much harder to treat issue. I'd recommend reading more on this site as well as consulting a reliable PCO.

5. Mochi

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Nov 10 2018 1:55:06
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen - 13 hours ago  » 
    Going about everything wrong. The source? you found bug in your place - at the moment you are the source. Where it came from? Anywhere.
    Notify your land lord asap and take action finding a professional to help solve your problem. Bed bugs are not a hobby so I would want the best in there yesterday.

Sorry, what I mean by source is where in the apartment are they coming from. I find it very odd that it was just three there with no casings or eggs. From my understanding, is that they hide in places near a blood supply in the start so they can go back and forth to it to feed, multiply, and migrate. All three were males. Sooo where is big mama? In the five years we have lived there, we have never seen one, and we are always up late. Could it be possible that tiny ones got on my pants from a public place, I sat on the box seat, and they just chilled there until now? Or is seeing 3 like that an indicator that there is a huge infestation somewhere, like under the carpet?

I'm trying to figure out how bad it is, because reading all the horror stories is not helping. We are going to get help, but if the landlord makes us pay for it I am at a loss. And again, I can not lift more than 5lbs and have limited movement from surgery. So I don't know how I am going to bag everything before any inspection, and I can't help in moving it to a storage container. Are we just screwed?

6. Mochi

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Nov 10 2018 2:07:18
    #

Login to Send PM

SalsaVince - 12 hours ago  » 
    The PCO is not going to make you throw away anything unless it is badly infested. It sounds like your infestation is not that bad yet since you haven't seen anymore or suffering from bites (although some people do not react to bites). Since you are recovering from some health problems, the last thing you need to be doing is trying to fight bed bugs by yourself without any professional help. As Killer Queen said, the best course of action that will alleviate your anxiety as quickly as possible is to work with your landlord to get a pro. It is a very stressful experience but it can be solved so you can focus on getting better.

Thanks, that helps with my anxiety knowing that! I wasn't sure if one dead and two alive was considered a lot or small. I know the amount doesn't matter as it is still an issue, but tackling a small amount over a huge infestation seems more doable.

Can PCO's help with the bagging process? That's my second stressor with having limited movement and lifting at the moment. And does it have to be everything bagged? Or just things on the floor, in boxes/drawers, clothes? For example, we have a lot of figurines and prints hung up high; is it recommended to bag those? (sorry for all the questions, I know the PCO would know best, but figured I would ask anyway)

7. Mochi

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Sat Nov 10 2018 3:00:08
    #

Login to Send PM

keephopealive - 12 hours ago  » 
    Does look a lot like a bedbug....
    I would be optimistic about the possibility of having caught the issue early as based on your description if the signs are that limited then you may stand a good chance of nipping the issue in the bud early. It may be worth contacting some local PCOs to see if they can do a free inspection and also learn how to inspect yourself as well as buy some passive monitors to check the bed/sofa etc. to see if you can narrow down the affected areas.
    Most items can be treated and any that can't due to unusual construction/delicacy can always be thoroughly sealed and stored for 18 months minimum to ensure that any surviving bugs die.
    Either way, I would inform your landlord as it could be that a neighboring unit is affected and they are finding their way to you; or the other way around....as KQ says, the sooner you address the issue, the better.
    p.s Definitely do not bomb the place; this will result in dispersal and a much harder to treat issue. I'd recommend reading more on this site as well as consulting a reliable PCO.

That's what we want to believe, but I agree with you and everyone to have it double checked with a PCO. That would be amazing if one of them could do the first one for free! I just hope we can figure out someway to bag and move everything with my limited lifting/moving from surgery.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was a neighbor, as we do have quite a few people that travel or work for airlines in our building. We have that fugly, shaggy, carpet so we feel like anything could easily hide in it, undiscovered. I'd love to have it ripped out and replaced with shorter carpet or hardwood. Though I doubt the landlord will allow it (we are on the highest 3rd floor; "carpet muffles sound").

Yep, read that on here! As well as no alcohol. For the monitor, you mean something like the PackTite/ClimbUp ones right? Can't really afford a 12-pk of those at the moment, but do you think 3 of them would be enough for a 600 sqft apartment?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,578 posts in 46,826 topics over 143 months by 20,660 of 21,557 members. Latest: Dread Bugs, gbbedbug, BuggedOUTinOH