(6 posts)
  1. sgubdebsgubdeb

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue May 8 2018 16:07:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone.

5-6 months ago, I began getting a few (6-7) red, itchy lesions on my skin. I usually noticed them during the day, not when immediately waking up. Pruritus lasted about a day, and the red bumps disappeared after 2-3 days. I got this a few times, about once per week. My girlfriend, whom I share the bed with, didn't get anything noticeable.

I suspected bed bugs and read a lot about it. I inspected everything in the bedroom and around the couch with a flashlight, and thoroughly vacuumed everything I could, removed clutter, carefully putting items in airtight plastic bags, and washed and hot-dried sheets and pillows. I didn't find a single bed bug sign, which as I understand is typical. However I found a LOT of living carpet beetle larvae on the floor, and sometimes within clothes.

I installed interceptors with talc powder and placed them under the legs of the bed and the couch. To this day, nothing but carpet beetle larvae and a few psocids got trapped. I was hoping to capture a living bed bug as a proof to make the landlord order the services of a PCO.

One week later I was still getting a few itchy red bumps. I bought a quality steam cleaner and passed the whole mattress and bed structure, as well as surrounding baseboards, floor, heating radiator, and nightstands under hot steam, slowly. After this I stopped getting red marks, and to this day they did not come back. I concluded that I killed something, not necessarily bed bugs, that was provoking this allergic reaction for me (but not for my girlfriend).

I became lazy and stopped inspecting the interceptors, and also stopped refreshing the talc powder. I'm not sure they're so useful now because any bug could climb on the accumulated dirt and not be trapped at all.

That being said, yesterday, at around midnight, while laying on the couch, reading something on my cellphone, the cellphone's backlight illuminated a walking bug on the couch's arm, two inches from my eyes. It was an adult, female bed bug. I captured it and locked it in a jar as a proof.

I immediately inspected the clothes I was wearing, put them in an airtight plastic bag, and inspected the bed. The bed looks fine, no traces of BB, just like 6 months ago.

So I guess the PCO will need to focus on the couch and living room.

My questions are:

1. Why was this adult BB walking alone at midnight, knowing that I was moving often? Aren't they supposed to come one hour before sunrise, when the target is not moving? What could this mean? That it was very hungry?
    2. What should be my next steps? I'm buying a BugLock Plus mattress cover for the bed, and a few PackTite monitors. In the meantime I'll steam the whole bed again, and refresh the interceptors. At least this will provide sufficient peace of mind to be able to sleep. I'll try to vacuum and steam the couch. However this couch is very thick and you can't remove the cushions nor the covering fabric, so I doubt that I can kill everything. I'll make sure the cat can't go in the living room to avoid bed bug transportation.

Is it possible that this bed bug is unrelated to the red bump episodes I had 6 months ago?

Fortunately (I think), three sides of the living room are connected to outside (two walls and the ceiling). I only have two immediate neighboors: one below, and one on the side. As I know them and the landlord, everyone should be willing to be very rigorous with treatments.

I don't want to throw away the (expensive) couch! Plus I often read that it's useless because they can hide in surrounding baseboards and cracks anyway.

Now that I have a pet bed bug, I'll try to make it feed on me to see if the allergic reaction is like the ones I was getting 6 months ago. I'll also try to make it escape the interceptors (in a controlled environment) to see if they're really working.

Thanks for your help!

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue May 8 2018 16:44:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Post some photos, you'd be surprised how many times bed bugs are mis-identified. It's also possible that it is not a bed bug but a close relative.

As to your questions, number one is not true; they can't tell time. And number two, before spending a dollar you should have the sample properly IDed. Treatment for bat bugs or bird bugs is completely different than treatment for bed bugs.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  3. sgubdebsgubdeb

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue May 8 2018 17:02:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I know this sounds pretentious but I'm 100% convinced it's a bed bug.

4. Bugsareicky

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Tue May 8 2018 20:14:26
    #

Login to Send PM

look up images of bat bugs. If you can't spot the difference, post a pic of your bug. It's damn near impossible for most people to tell them apart. The treatment is quite different, so it does matter.

5. sgubdebsgubdeb

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed May 9 2018 0:41:19
    #

Login to Send PM

look up images of bat bugs. If you can't spot the difference, post a pic of your bug.

Oh my god, sorry for my arrogance then. Now I'm 0% convinced it's a bed bug. I'll post a pic tomorrow. Thanks a lot for mentioning this: I was not aware at all that they looked so much the same!

6. sgubdebsgubdeb

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed May 9 2018 10:16:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok here's for the ID: https://imgur.com/a/C5GzPYa

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

273,694 posts in 44,823 topics over 137 months by 19,675 of 20,380 members. Latest: fish77, Chevycolt15, bedbugbugs