Found a rather effective unique anti-bite method [looking for input]

(14 posts)
  1. Intelligenery

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 12 2010 20:28:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I'm a 16 year old student in the city of London (which is having a rapid increase of bedbugs) who is trying her own experiment.

What I used:

A fan

What I did:

I slept in my room as I usually did, however keeping my body under a fan so it did not become hot. The fan was placed near my head/torso.

Result:
    Apart from isolating my bed, this is the next best thing I found to stop bedbugs biting was using a common household fan to stop bedbugs biting. This was mostly a success, I used to get bites everyday due to the infestation in my bedroom and sofa. Since using a fan on my body every night I've had no bites in two weeks.

However there were some setbacks, as bedbugs become hungry, they come out during the day and will bite anyone and anything (not just me for once) and they look for other areas or places to bite, meaning everyone should get a fan in the house. I also worry they may hibernate if they can't find me completely but it gives me a good nights sleep especially during summer. This is not a good idea for long term usage during winter because you may catch a cold or worse if you keep it on during sleep as your body is at it's most vulnerable.

I turned the fan off for two days to find that I was getting bitten again. I'm not exactly sure why but I think bedbugs were so hungry they did not even numb the spot they were going to bite before biting so I felt the bites on my legs.

Well, for the working part, how does it work? Well my own personal theory, your household fan makes your body cool, bedbugs are attracted to your body heat. And also, if the fan is eg: near your face, this distorts the flow of Co2, which makes it harder for the bedbugs to find you. If they can't find or sense you, they won't come out.

What are your thoughts on this method? Have any of you tried this? What were your results?

2. madd love

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 12 2010 20:50:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I will have to try this method. Does the fan hang directly over the top of your head? If so at what fan speed?

3. Intelligenery

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 12 2010 20:55:05
    #

Login to Send PM

madd love - 3 minutes ago  » 
    I will have to try this method. Does the fan hang directly over the top of your head? If so at what fan speed?

I had my fan faced adjacent to me. My fan had three settings, low, medium, and high, it worked on all settings.

4. madd love

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 12 2010 20:57:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I have also found a method that helps me from being nitten. It has worked 3 days so far. I went to home depot out here in New York and bought plastic wrap that is used to walk on when construction workers are working on new homes and construction projects. I wrapped it all around the edges of my platform bed and taped it to edges of the sheet and the frame. My bed is already wrapped with a bag. I also wrapped it on the headboard. And I sleep with a 30 watt light bulb on so I can see if any bugs are on the bed or crawling on the walls toward me. So far I have not been bitten.

At first I tried double sided taped. But they still manage their way onto the bed. So far with this plastic I have not been bitten or seen any on the bed.

I caught two and put them in the bag to test it. The plastic seems very slippery when they are placed on it vertically. They would hang on to it from the edge/side of the plastic.

I will try your idea also to see if it works

5. madd love

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 12 2010 21:00:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Intelligenery - 4 minutes ago  » 

madd love - 3 minutes ago  » 

I had my fan faced adjacent to me. My fan had three settings, low, medium, and high, it worked on all settings.

I will buy a fan tomorrow. Right now everything here is closed. I will test it along with my other experiment too

6. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 12 2010 21:34:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Intelligenery...Madlove...

I think it's great to try all sort of ideas but i'm concerned about this brave 16 year old who is trying to find a way to avoid being assaulted by these horrible bugs. How can s/he study well like that?

Have your parents tried anything to get rid of the bedbugs? If so, do you know what they tried?

It just kills my heart to know that youngsters who should only have to be worried about their studies and who's asking who to which party, are having to deal with bed bugs.

Horrible.
    Hang in there

7. Intelligenery

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 12 2010 22:45:17
    #

Login to Send PM

My parents have tried using the traditional steaming and mattress encasement things, but it didn't work since we can't find or access the hiding places, even with help from pest control (which we can no longer afford to have).

So I discovered this during a few hot stuffy nights, noticing the bedbugs weren't biting.

8. Uhlizza Polen

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 13 2010 5:10:08
    #

Login to Send PM

If you have any tape try to construct 2 sided tape so that the bugs will get stuck on it : wrap it around your bed and make sure your bedding stays off of it: pull your bed away from walls. Perhaps your parents can call the Health Dept. for any suggestions of possible help there?

9. Intelligenery

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 13 2010 22:50:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't have problems with bedbugs biting me, isolating the bed helps me 100% (placing legs of bed in oil). I'm just looking for any other ways I could suggest to other people who don't have this option.

(This experiment was done on my infested sofa by the way.)

10. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 13 2010 23:08:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Ive tried this. I still get bitten on my legs like crazy! Oh well, my bugs are smarter (my fan is smaller?)

11. Intelligenery

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 14 2010 8:55:32
    #

Login to Send PM

It could be due to the hiding places of the bedbugs. If they are too close to your body this is not likely to work because fans aren't that effective.

As an additional note, I wore thick fully covering pjs and socks during this experiment. Try that perhaps.

12. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 14 2010 9:43:48
    #

Login to Send PM

As you might guess by my user name, I live in southern California.

I had bed bug infestation about two years ago. The infestation likely started in March and was discovered in June.

It's quite hot here, and despite what many people who've never been here think, southern California doesn't really believe in putting lots of climate control devices in many older apartment buildings, esp. small ones in cities near the coast.

(For example, my heater for my whole apartment looks kind of like this but older and slightly less tall. (Mine has about four inches of clearance between it and the floor.)

In addition, my unit does not have any air conditioning installed when you move in. I've personally installed a window unit, but it's kind of a hillbilly install since the windows here all slide side to side rather than up and down.

At any rate. my point is that the AC window unit is in the living room, not the bed room.

Which means that in June when I discovered the bugs, I had a big box fan on the dresser at the foot of the bed. It was pointed to blow directly on me at night as even with the AC unit in the other room, the bedroom wasn't really cool enough to sleep.

Even when it's not super hot, I tend to leave the fan going in the bedroom--partly because I like it cold when I sleep and partly because with the very thin walls in this apartment, I need the fan's white noise to help drown out noise from other neighbors.

The fan never deterred the bugs from biting me.

I'm glad it worked for you, but it clearly didn't have any effect on the bugs where I live.

13. Beth

account closed

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jul 14 2010 13:29:16
    #

Login to Send PM

a fan lessens bites one me for sure. then, yes, they bite me during the day. I think they probably just don't want to be blow around! Maybe the CO2 thing. Mine is a big standing fan that blows directly on me from the foot of my bed.

14. Anthrax1

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Aug 16 2018 9:24:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Just wanted to add my experience. Small infestation had been treated, but stragglers remain outside of our isolated bed. I have a maze of glue traps nailed deep into the floor under the bed. We sleep with a fan under the head of the bed. After about 3 weeks without a bug I slept with the fan off one night and a bug showed up on a glue trap under the bed on the head side. I'm convinced the fan disrupts their CO2 tracking

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,305 posts in 50,167 topics over 155 months by 21,928 of 22,425 members. Latest: xterra888, MaryPoppinsYall, nomorecreepycrawlies