Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Found a live bug (my PCO said 80% on this--ID?)

(8 posts)
  1. bbsuck

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed May 4 2011 0:54:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I finally found another bug like the live one I found in my son's bed last week. I called the "best" PCO in our very, very small town, showed him a (larger version of) this bug and he said 80% sure it was a bedbug. I only showed him the bug. He also said they weren't a big deal. :/ I've also found carpet beetles. Please help!

Here it is (what the heck is it??):
    http://tinypic.com/r/2qxq2aw/7
    http://tinypic.com/r/2i5fdw/7

Also, found this in my nightstand drawer. The drawers have lots of discoloring (I'm sure it's just the wood) on the sides, but this looked odd. Could it be fecal stains? It didn't rub off at all when I tried with a wet rag.
    http://tinypic.com/r/qqahlf/7

I know I've been asking a lot of questions lately. I'm sorry, but I am freaked out.

2. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed May 4 2011 1:08:03
    #

Login to Send PM

The bug is a carpet beetle larva. 100% not a BB.

Google up dermastid beetle larvae pictures

The smears don't look BB related.

Jim

3. BBJames

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed May 4 2011 1:09:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm 100% sure it's a Carpet Beetle larvae. As for the fecal spots, it's hard to be 100% sure, due to wiping them with your wet rag. So 99% sure it's not Fecal spots from BB's.

4. BBJames

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed May 4 2011 1:14:02
    #

Login to Send PM

5. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed May 4 2011 3:16:01
    #

Login to Send PM

If your PCO is 80% sure that's a bedbug, I'm 80% sure you need a new PCO!

There is really no excuse for making that mistake if you are making a living out of knowing how to deal with pests. Carpet beetles are one of the most frequently encountered household insects and any PCO who has been doing the job for more than 5 minutes should have come across hundreds of them.

If I were you I would try a different PCO next time. If you hadn't thought to check here first, you may very well have been sold an expensive and unnecessary bedbug treatment plan.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed May 4 2011 4:55:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope that PCO hasn't been in business for a long time. He's been selling jobs that are not needed for bed bug control. He might be getting rid of the dermestid beetle infestation for his clients and when he's done he has miraculously cleared up your bed bug infestation as well!

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed May 4 2011 5:01:02
    #

Login to Send PM

> showed him a (larger version of) this bug and he said 80% sure it was a bedbug.

All, bear in mind that the bug shown to the PCO is not the bug in the photo, but a "larger version", which could look similar to one person, but different to another.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  8. bbsuck

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed May 4 2011 8:56:02
    #

Login to Send PM

cilecto - 3 hours ago  » 
    > showed him a (larger version of) this bug and he said 80% sure it was a bedbug.
    All, bear in mind that the bug shown to the PCO is not the bug in the photo, but a "larger version", which could look similar to one person, but different to another.

This is a good point. But I am 80% sure it is the same bug.

The first one I found had a white belly (and the top looked like this). I asked him if BB had that, and he said yes--bedbugs have white bellies. I posted about this earlier and noone ever said that they had white bellies (is this true?). He said he has only seen two bed bugs (live) ever. And he is considered the best that we have here, so you can bet if I do get any evidence I will be looking elsewhere.

Thank you for the help, yet again.

Signed,
    paranoid person

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,680 posts in 49,526 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982