(9 posts)
  1. somethinggood

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri May 4 2012 13:34:50
    #

Login to Send PM

hello,

i recently just moved out of an apartment in san diego, ca that had bed bugs (the landlord would not call a professional to fix the problem, and in frustration i just decided to split), i bagged all my belongings (i didn't have many) and moved back to my parents house. i've been sleeping on the floor for 2 months now, with some of my bagged belongings in my room (i don't have anywhere else to store these things :/), but i've gone 2 months without any evidence of bed bugs at all, no blood stains, no bites (as far as i can tell, i pretty sure i don't react to their bites), no cast skins, no bugs at all! but today i woke up and there was a male bed bug on my wall, it started moving so i ended up smashing it, and i still tried to save the specimen best i could. i've inspected my room and still i've found nothing else, i'm extremely emotionally and physically drained from the first incident and would not like to go through it again or put my family through it.

i'm just wondering if there is a possibility that this could be a single bug issue? is there any precautionary measures i should take?

also i have a question about pest strips and vinyl records, will they mess up the vinyl? will they work?

thank you

2. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri May 4 2012 14:35:57
    #

Login to Send PM

What type of items did you bag up? Did you do anything to these items before putting them into the bags? Have you since opened these bags at the new address? The bug you smashed, was there blood? Can you take a picture of the bug you found?

3. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri May 4 2012 14:37:17
    #

Login to Send PM

What type of items did you bag up? Did you do anything to these items before putting them into the bags? Have you since opened these bags at the new address? The bug you smashed, was there blood? Can you take a picture of the bug you found?

4. somethinggood

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri May 4 2012 14:55:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

there was blood in it i think, it wasn't bright red like the usual color of blood from when i have smashed them in the past before. the type of bags are the xl and xxl ziplock bags, i've opened two bags maybe once or twice to get out some records and guitar pedals, but i thoroughly inspected these items and doubt i would have missed an adult this size.

5. somethinggood

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri May 4 2012 14:56:25
    #

Login to Send PM

http://oi48.tinypic.com/db3tu.jpg

that last link didn't work.

6. somethinggood

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri May 4 2012 15:09:00
    #

Login to Send PM

also the items in the bags are records, stereo equiptment, record player, and a couple other just misc items that were on a shelf in the old apartment. i have books and a couple of other things in the garage in other plastic bags. the only piece of furniture i brought back and have actually taken out of plastic bags is this wooden cassette tape rack that i have hung up, it's not very big and i've inspected it time and time again to make sure there was nothing there. i left it in a bag for a month and a half to make sure if any eggs were laid on it they would have hatched, then i put it out in the sun on my roof for 5 days in a black trash bag, then inspected it again, but i found nothing at all. im combing my room like crazy and am still finding nothing, i checked the seal on the bags in the room and it seemed pretty good. i'm pretty ocd about these bed bugs, so i haven't really taken any risks with anything, or really even tried to start unpacking at all.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri May 4 2012 15:38:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Cant really tell much from the picture as its too out of focus.

However from what you have said one of two things has occurred:

• A bedbug escape from one of the bags you opened
    • You are still coming into contact with a source of bedbugs and rather than bringing them into your landlords property you have brought them into the current one

I would strongly advise you to NOT open any bags until you know it is safe to do so.

In the mean time read the FAQ's on bed bug avoidance and make sure you are taking steps to avoid contact with sources of bedbugs or the issue will plague you until you do so.

It may be that with either reason it is only the one and if you are sensible, inspect thoroughly, monitor and keep avoiding sources then that will be end of this incident.

The fresh blood means that it did feed either from you or shortly before you discovered it so the chances are that where you used to be a bite responder you may not actually respond to a lower level issue.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  8. Fed-up over being Fed-on

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 2 2012 11:56:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Anything is possible but with BBs they rarely travel alone. Because BB reproduce so quickly I would not use a "wait and see" approach. Treat it asa mild infestiation and start using some DE powder and heat all you belongings that will fit in a dryer.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sat Jun 2 2012 19:18:54
    #

Login to Send PM

FYi -- this may help you or others with images: there are new instructions on embedding a photo in the green stickies. HTML href tags don't work in the forums. You can use BBCode if you know it. In lieu of this, you can use the IMG tag in the edit box. Or follow the instructions in the green sticky.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,801 posts in 50,042 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen