Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Found a bed bug at work. Am I doing enough to prevent them in my home?

(7 posts)
  1. Neepaleep

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Apr 28 2015 16:04:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I work in a transitional housing unit for mentally ill adults. It's not a lock down unit so clients can come and go as they please. Recently we had some clients who had bed bug infestations in their homes. We were told that the problem had been eradicated before they moved into the unit. Last night I found a bed bug crawling on the wall in the staff office. I'm almost 100% it is a bed bug because it matched the pictures I found online exactly. So last night I got undressed in my garage and put my clothing, shoes, and purse in plastic bags. My shoes and purse are in the freezer, and I washed my clothes with hot water and dried them on high heat for 40 min.

I plan to put my belongings in a zip up makeup bag instead of my usual snap closure purse. I also plan to do the same thing with my clothes when I get home from work until this is taken care of at work. My question is am I doing enough to prevent them from following me home? Or is there more or different things I should be doing? Thanks!

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Apr 28 2015 16:08:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Heading home for the day but I'll contact you tomorrow, I'm in a similar line of work.

3. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Apr 28 2015 17:24:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Sounds like you are doing a good job. Wait for BD to get back to you with additional advice.

4. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Apr 28 2015 17:26:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Wait, on second thought, freezing is not so good when it comes to bed bugs. I would suggest you not bring your purse in with you, and you have a dedicated set of shoes that you wear to work that do not go into your house. Like I said, BD will have some excellent additional advice.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Apr 28 2015 17:36:40
    #

Login to Send PM

We also have some links which seem relevant in the Bed Bug Resources page:
    Information for shelter operators

and
    Information for home visitors

Those resources may not match exactly the type of exposure you're getting but the precautions will be similar I think.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Apr 28 2015 17:53:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Neepaleep,

In addition to the wonderful links that Nobugs provided . . . here are a couple of threads I saved regarding the topic:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/nurse-potentially-could-be-exposed-on-job

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/how-to-be-proactive

Hopefully there is some useful information contained in them for you (I haven't read them in a while) . . .

Also, I think it's probably mentioned in the threads, and I'm sure it's mentioned in the links Nobugs provided, but you might consider bagging your personal items in a large zip loc bag while at work to make sure no bugs have access to them while working. Also, it has been recommended instead of changing your clothes in your garage once you get home, to take a change of clothes sealed in a zip loc bag with you to work and change before leaving . . . . sealing up the potentially exposed clothing and items before getting in your car.

7. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Apr 29 2015 13:06:07
    #

Login to Send PM

PM sent.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,409 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams