Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

Found 4+ Adults On Mattress (Fairly New To This Nightmare)

(7 posts)
  1. insectarian

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu Jul 5 2018 13:52:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey All,

I've been reading around a bit on the forums, and here's my situation:

I found a single bed bug quite some time ago (Nearly 1.5 years ago). Adult. I killed it, informed my landlord. I thought it may have been a beetle, because I didn't even really...know what bedbugs were in detail to be honest (I've now read novels about them).

Nothing. He said it was fine.

There were no repeat incidents and I didn't see or notice anything further.

Someone who had been over at my house frequently (and spent the night) developed rashes.

She believed it to be a reaction to medication.

Didn't correlate the two at the time.

Found another single bed bug some eight months later on a t shirt.

Informed my landlord.

Still nothing.

Confirmed at that point it was a bedbug and convinced myself it was a drifter from outside that hugged my t shirt.

More recently, I awoke to an adult bedbug feeding on me. I freaked, overturned my mattress, and found 4 adults crawling within the mattress, with one dead carcass. This, to me, indicates that they've been there a while.

I bought a mattress cover, treated the mattress, vaccuumed it, DE'd it, and sealed it. I've also removed everything from underneath my bed, sealed it, and thrown it away. My room also looks like Christmas with DE everywhere.

Tonight, I'll be beginning a massive throw out of (much) of my things.

I believe I know what I'm in for from here on out, and am almost certain they aren't isolated to a single room.

My landlord, having heard this, went to code enforcement. Apparently, the bill is 100% on the tenant for anyone in NY state, regardless of frequency of reporting or the origin of the bedbugs.

I've also discovered the source of the bed bugs, which would be my neighbor adjacent (who I believe has a major infestation but I cannot be certain).

Has anyone else...just thrown away most everything they own, save a few electronics, and moved and started their life over completely anew?

I'm thinking with the amount found on the mattress, the likelihood is that my apartment is infested and I just haven't known.

Thoughts/suggestions/commiseration welcome. I'm doing my best to stay calm and accept what's occurred.

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu Jul 5 2018 14:14:30
    #

Login to Send PM

"My landlord, having heard this, went to code enforcement. Apparently, the bill is 100% on the tenant for anyone in NY state, regardless of frequency of reporting or the origin of the bedbugs."
    --- Not true for NYC.

"I've also discovered the source of the bed bugs, which would be my neighbor adjacent (who I believe has a major infestation but I cannot be certain)."
    --- This plays a distinct part in the building infestation and could be more infested apartments. I don't know, but I think the landlord has responsibility here, since he has pest control and hasn't done anything about bed bugs. You had informed him previously.

"My room also looks like Christmas with DE everywhere."
    --- Too much DE.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. Bugsareicky

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu Jul 5 2018 14:24:37
    #

Login to Send PM

We just went through a move and ditched the demons, I believe. We discovered them only two months after being exposed, but we definitely moved as if we had a major problem. I was taking NO chances lol. Clothing was washed/dried on high heat twice. Dishes and such washed normally. Kids toys without batteries were boiled for a few minutes. Books went through the oven and were then sealed in ziplocks with DE. I damaged a few books, but it was not worth it for me to buy a zappbug thing. Electronics were put in very large bins with pest strips. We kept two pieces of wooden furniture, those were completely taken apart and every inch, every screw, every crack, was steamed right before taking them outside. Beds, couches, chairs, ext. we threw away and had new ones delivered to the new apartment on moving day. Everything we brought with us was sealed in large ziplocks and then put into large plastic bins. The bins were not air tight, so the ziplocks made it easy to steam the bins themselves on moving day. NOTHING came with us that was not treated in some way. If I couldn't figure out how to treat it, I tossed it. We've been at the new place a month now, so far so good. I'm loving the total lack of clutter honestly. Mosquito season definitely has my anxiety up though lol. Still checking the beds daily like a psycho. You can ditch the bedbugs...the headbugs...those are another story. lmao

4. Bugsareicky

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu Jul 5 2018 14:32:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I have to agree with Lou on the DE situation. At the old place I just didn't give a damn. We threw DE around like it was a freaking beach party. It was EVERYWHERE. We all developed a nasty cough and runny noses. I was getting brutal headaches, probably because of oxygen issues. My feet are still super dry and cracked to the point of being painful. We all seem to be fine now, but likely won't know for years if there's any lasting damage to our lungs. I've been there. I've thrown the DE around in a panic and lived in the crap for a month. I regret it. Clean that up and apply it VERY lightly where it won't be disturbed or you'll likely regret it too.

5. micachica

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu Jul 5 2018 16:17:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I live in NY (not NYC) and my landlord had to pay the bill for my treatments. It added up very quickly and just recently it’s been 5 weeks since I’ve seen a bed bug in my apt. Your lease might have a bed bug clause that makes you pay but I don’t think there is a law in general making it a tenants responsibility.

6. bugged-cdn

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu Jul 5 2018 20:03:13
    #

Login to Send PM

IANAL but clauses that go against laws don't usually stand up in court.

7. bugged-cdn

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu Jul 5 2018 20:03:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Double post.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

282,362 posts in 46,986 topics over 143 months by 20,736 of 21,010 members. Latest: Chumchum871, concernedmom, Bedbugs_PTSD