Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

For anyone who has bites, but no signs...

(5 posts)
  1. scaredandanxiouslo

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 18 2016 11:42:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I know I've posted on this forum multiple times. It probably is extremely annoying for those who have an identifiable problem, but I have been struggling mentally, so bear with me.

A month ago I woke up to a strange bug in my bed, which I immediately squished and threw out. After the fact, I started panicking and thinking "oh god, what if this was a bed bug?" I do recall the bug was about the size I'd expect a bed bug to be, but it was black and shiny. I rationalized in my head that the bug was most likely NOT a bed bug, and to just chill out unless I started experiencing bites. Well, fast forward a few days later and I did start getting bites that I couldn't explain. At the time, I lived in a 4 bedroom apartment and none of my roommates were experiencing any of this. Still, I had never seen a live bug. One night I crawled into bed, ready for sleep, and I felt a stinging/pinching feeling on my elbow! I flashed my light and my elbow had a bite but NO BUG! The next morning I had my apartment complex send in a PCO and he examined my room and said I have no signs of bed bugs. So after that I encased my mattress and set up a few Raid brand glue traps. Still, I continued to get bites. My bites were different than the average mosquito bites. They'd always most likely be little pimple like bumps, that if I scratched, turned into a little pinprick scab for a few days. I got a lot on my knuckles, too. Some on my legs. So I decided to call up my apartment complex, again, and have another PCO come out. He did a thorough inspection of the ENTIRE apartment and said there were no signs of bed bugs. I finally told myself I needed to calm down and just believe the PCOs. So, fast forward to now. I ended up moving out of that apartment into a house (that I still rent) and the bites are back! I still see no signs of bed bugs, but I don't understand where these random bites are coming from. They pop up through out the day in the same spots I described above and it's starting to really freak me out. Anyone deal with something similar?

2. NEWinNY

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 18 2016 14:26:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Could it not be a skin reaction to something else? Carpet beetles for example? Or a sign for an illness of the skin?

3. scaredandanxiouslo

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 18 2016 17:45:33
    #

Login to Send PM

NEWinNY - 3 hours ago  » 
    Could it not be a skin reaction to something else? Carpet beetles for example? Or a sign for an illness of the skin?

A dermatologist looked at some and said they are bug bites.. But idk :/ I'm freaking out. Some look like hives??

4. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 18 2016 23:39:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Bug "bites" are an allergic reaction.

A lot of allergic reactions look like bug bites.

I have a condition where there are rashes that look like bites. If I wear a purse shoulder strap where it touches skin, it doesn't just look like a rash...you will see two distinctive looking bites and some redness elsewhere.

If you read the FAQs, you can't diagnose bed bugs by skin reactions.

I'm not an expert so we'll hope that Nobugs or an expert can better explain it.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  5. BugsUpInFlames

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 18 2016 23:50:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Dealt with the problem two years ago. It is why I didn't accept right away that they were gone. I was still being "bitten". Some of it was just mosquito bites, which last a LOT longer if they are on my legs for some reason, but the other part was just plain old stress!

Every day for weeks I would get new red "bites" on my face even though I had been reassured that the bugs were gone. It did not occur to me at first that stress can cause such a reaction, but eventually it did occur to me, and I read similar stories, so I made myself chill out, and sure enough...within a relatively short time, I stopped getting them.

Later that year, in November, I started experiencing odd reactions. After posting in here a bit, and doing some searching, I found evidence of carpet beetles. That time, I made myself not panic. I rearranged the blankets on my bed, and the problem was brought under control.

And yes, finally, it is possible for old bites to re-flare.

Formerly BeenBuggedMidoriBird

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,693 posts in 50,017 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur