Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Food grade DE in NYC

(13 posts)
  1. UESbugs

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Feb 28 2008 9:32:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Good morning all, trying to find some food grade DE in NYC. I've searched the forums but cannot find info on this. Would buy through BBugger, but need it today and don't have time to wait for delivery. Can anyone make a suggestion? Would appreciate it much!

Thanks@!

ps, do I need that crazy rose duster or can I buy something else or similar or same in NYC as well? Don't even know where to start looking for this.

2. needtosleep

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Feb 28 2008 11:52:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Try Broadway Exterminating. I think it's near Columbia. The DE they sell is called Mother Earth D.

http://www.broadwayexterminating.com/

3. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Feb 28 2008 14:58:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Googl Dirtworks

4. Bites44

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Feb 28 2008 21:15:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Re the duster, I don't use that. I have a wide fine paint brush, and paint a very thin layer of dust along the baseboards, the wood parts under the sofa, etc. I find this works much better for me than a duster. As for buying DE on the net, be careful, as the prices vary really widely. Somewhere on the net I found someone selling it for about $50.00 for 1 pound.

I got mine from a farmers supply, 50 pounds for $27.00 (smallest I could get, and I had enough DE for a hundred houses, and lots left over for slugs in the summer).

5. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Feb 29 2008 18:31:36
    #

Login to Send PM

DE is available in NY one product is Mother Earth D by Whitmire
    another is Concern by Safer. Neither is currently labeled for bed bugs though.
    I believe the Whitmire one is in the process of changeing their label.
    It is available from companies like Van Waters and Residex

6. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Mar 4 2008 10:51:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Winston,
    Does the Whitmire DE product contain pesticides or is it straight DE?

7. freaked out in brooklyn

Deleted Account *do not PM*

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Mar 4 2008 11:28:08
    #

Login to Send PM

What is this product? Is it safe for cats?
    Thanks!

8. Bugologist

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Mar 5 2008 8:28:33
    #

Login to Send PM

We've got to drop this "food grade" tag associated with DE. What does that mean anyway? Where is that term coming from? We can treat food with it? It's just DE labeled for pest control.

The product made by Whitmire is called "Mother Earth D". It's 100% DE. There is nothing else in it.

When you ask is it safe for cats do you mean to use if you have cats or to treat your cats with it? If you mean to treat your cats directly, although the label may not state it I don't recommend it. We've had that discussion in another thread somewhere. If you're asking if it's labeled for use in homes that have cats, then yes it is. FOLLOW THE PRECAUTIONS ON THE LABEL.

9. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Mar 5 2008 8:43:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Food Grade DE is commonly used at farms to put into grain mills,oats etc..that the animals eat. It keeps grain bugs from infesting the grains and getting the animals sick. Some people use a tiny bit on coffee and such to help clean out their systems.
    When using for pest control in the home you want from what I was told is to use it very very light puffs and not in clumps. You don't want to stir it up as walking around and such. It's not good to breathe in for long periods of time for it can do lung damage I'm told. (cracks, crevices, under the bed area, closets etc) Drione Dust that is used in outlets and such is dangerous to breathe in and not recommended for a non professional. (does have a quicker knock down, but not safe. both are mechanical killers and work. Obviously Drione has pesticides in it and cannot be eaten, consumed)

10. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Mar 5 2008 10:04:54
    #

Login to Send PM

We've got to drop this "food grade" tag associated with DE. What does that mean anyway? Where is that term coming from? We can treat food with it? It's just DE labeled for pest control.

No, we're not going to drop the food-grade tag.

People have used pool-grade DE to treat their homes for bedbugs. Memorably, someone came here, after the fact, to tell us they had pool-grade DE all over the house, and did we have any thoughts on how they should clean it up.

It may be superfluous (and inaccurate with respect to some products) and a gross simplification, but it drives home a necessary point, especially for the tons of people who don't read the FAQs and just grab information from here without deliberation and research, and who may have children and pets at home. If there is any risk to the people who read these forums, we will do everything possible to minimize it. And more than that, if there is a way to anticipate how someone might view a piece of information and interpret it incorrectly, we will do everything possible to manage that.

11. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Mar 5 2008 10:48:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, people must understand the difference because of the potential that non-food grade DE has to a person's health.

12. Bugologist

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Mar 5 2008 13:27:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I looked it up online and paulaw is right, it's used to treat grains and the such for pests. How it differs from Mother Earth D or any other non-pool DE sold I'm not sure. I find it amazing that they have a product labeled as a pesticide that is a dust recommended for use on a consumable food. Something isn't right there but I haven't read the label and maybe the foods that it can be used in association with get sterilized or filtered or cleaned prior to use. So I guess food grade DE is how the grain industry refers to it but...

I understand what you're saying hopelessnomo but I wholeheartedly disagree. I'm in the field on a daily basis and although things may seem clear to you and other people you talk to, you would be amazed at how difficult some people can be when it comes to communication. "DE labeled for pest control" or "pesticide DE" are much better names then food grade. From a business perspective, there is absolutely no way on god's good earth we attached food or anything referring to consumption to a pesticide. Think of the lawsuits associated with that. "You called it food grade DE so I wanted to make sure my food didn't have stored product pests so I applied it, I ate it, and now I have stomach ulcers, say goodbye to your business." Now I know this site isn't a company or business but it shouldn't position itself much differently, it's always a good idea to position products correctly. Attaching food to DE, and this is just my opinion, isn't a wise choice (and that doesn't just refer to this site because I've read it all over the internet but mostly what I've seen thus far has been on marketing sites, not from professionals).

13. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Mar 5 2008 13:52:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, Bugologist, thank you for that.

I will be more expansive with the DE descriptors and opt for "freshwater DE" when I need a handy one.

FWIW, I bought my DE from a pet care retailer and it was manufactured by Thomas Labs. Back then I was not so sure of the whole thing so I called them to seek reassurance that it was "food grade" and they did tell me all about champion breeders who use it for their dogs. So I felt better and got on with it. (I specifically wanted to avoid DE laced with pesticides, but such a product would be and is of course perfectly acceptable; I just didn't want it personally.)

I just worry about people with families using DE products (there is an amazing variety) and using them improperly, putting them all over the beds, or where children and pets can ingest them. I figured if it's true food-grade DE the likelihood of harm is greatly reduced. But I now understand the risk you describe.

Thank you for the heads up.

EDIT: Because of the difficulty of knowing exactly what kind of DE people are talking about when they post here, I always tell people to check with their vets before using DE around their pets.

We have a DE faq: What is diatomaceous earth (DE)? Should I use it?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,373 posts in 50,181 topics over 156 months by 21,932 of 22,430 members. Latest: Beachhouse, bbguy, Ladybug1993