Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Follow up on the status of our infestation

(10 posts)
  1. eatingmealive

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Mar 2 2009 20:57:42
    #

Login to Send PM

We had a reheat, as I posted in January. We continued to be bitten on our sofa, and had k9 team in to confirm. Pure Heat was very responsive and came out and we did a treatment of the living room with portable electric heaters. Again, any damage was minimal and we've felt some relief at this point.

We have had a few mystery bites, that have been singular welts, since the living room treatment, me on my shins and my husband on his neck and arm. Just one bite at a time and nothing like the multiple, intensely itchy bites we had during the full blown infestation. Previously it was almost as if they were swarming on our skin. Now it is one at a time.

A k9 was out with no hits about a week ago. I'll likely call again in a few weeks to have them come back and check us out. Overkill maybe, but a little overkill now is worth my sanity, I'd say.

2. OutOutDarnBugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Mar 2 2009 22:10:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, eatingmealive. I'm so happy for you! Keep us posted when you get the next k9 in. But this is awesome and such good news!

3. eatingmealive

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Mar 3 2009 8:31:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Good/bad news from last night. We woke up this morning and the husband had 3 mosquito bite like itchy welts along his hairline.

4. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Mar 3 2009 10:43:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, I don't know what to say...I so hope you are clear! I hope they really are mosquito bites! Please keep up posted. Hugs.

5. OutOutDarnBugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Mar 3 2009 11:38:47
    #

Login to Send PM

No no! Maybe they're pimple-y things? Hugs abound!

6. eatingmealive

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Mar 3 2009 11:40:49
    #

Login to Send PM

bitten123 - 56 minutes ago  » 
    Oh, I don't know what to say...I so hope you are clear! I hope they really are mosquito bites! Please keep up posted. Hugs.

The likelihood of mosquitoes this time of year is very low. We threw the pillows out (and the encasements).

We're getting ride of more furniture as well this weekend.

7. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Mar 3 2009 12:06:14
    #

Login to Send PM

eatingmealive, I'm very sorry. I live in a warmer state so the mosquitos are already out and about here. I understand you wanting to throw out more stuff...
    Is there any chance that you and your husband could be reacting to soemthing else? Maybe the stress is making old bites reappear? It seems with the dog clearing you and all, maybe there is an external force at work besides bed bugs? Maybe I'm grasping at straws here, but I am hopeful that you will find yourself clear soon. I'm holding a thought for you.

8. eatingmealive

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Mar 3 2009 20:25:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Biten123 thanks for reaching out.

It could always be something else without the visual confirmation of one of the bugs. I am doubtful that it is old bites as we've been keeping a diary of where and when we notice them and the location (sometimes with pictures). Two of these are definitely 100% new. One is on his forehead. That is brand new. I broke down crying when I saw it.

With most of them on or around his head and hairline we are wondering about his pillows. Mine were typically on my legs. A few on my arms and chest, but mostly concentrated on my legs.

9. reepicheep

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Mar 3 2009 21:20:52
    #

Login to Send PM

If you think your husband is being bitten in bed, maybe you could isolate your bed, to prevent any bugs from escaping the bed, and then figure out what part of the bed they are in and deal with it. Do you have encasements on your mattresses? After you isolate your bed, you could also sleep off the bed somewhere to see if the bites continue or stop, to help you understand if there are bugs just in the bed or not. Hope that makes sense.

I'm sorry to hear about your bites. We have had a similar experience with our house, and have had 2 thermal treatments but are still getting bitten. You are fortunate to have a thermal provider who will continue to work with you based on your bites.

10. eatingmealive

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Mar 3 2009 21:26:23
    #

Login to Send PM

reepicheep, we're also working with k9's, so it hasn't just been bites.

The bed is pretty well isolated at this point, with DE dusted underneath as well. The mattress and box springs are encased. We have National Allergy encasements though, not the Protect-a-Bed, we couldn't find the latter to fit the mattress. I am not sure that his pillows don't brush up the wall (the bed is 4-6" away from the wall) or the bed-side tables (again about 4" away). I have asked him to be super careful that they don't but who knows how much you move in your sleep.

We can't for certain that it hasn't been on the sofa, but the bites are definitely showing up in the morning. I did the pillows in the dryer, loosely packed so it wasn't jam full, on high heat for 2 hours. We'll see what happens from there.

We're trying to approach this in a scientific manner, eliminating and evaluating.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,975 posts in 49,594 topics over 153 months by 21,728 of 22,175 members. Latest: Scaredofbugzzzz, AVersicolor26626, nadialula