Flying with bed bugs

(5 posts)
  1. Mexibug

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Jun 30 2010 23:33:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I currently live in Mexico but am returning to Europe in 2 weeks. I have had a bed bug saga for the last 2 months. I have had the professional in and they claim the problem is solved although prior to visiting my house they advised me as this is not a common problem in this city they did not have all the necessary pesticides. They ended up exploding this smoke bomb type thing in my room which if it didnt kill all living things it seriously affected the lung capacity of my house mates and I! Anyway Since the visit it has become apparent that they have migrated to my boyfriends house and I am not convinced they have completely vacated my house. Half of my problem is that not I nor any of my flatmates have had any bites. I have seen no blood and no feceas or anything and the only ones I have found I have felt crawling on me and have all been smaller that a freckle. I am flying back to Europe and want to make sure none of the little critter hitch a ride with me. I am very secretly hoping that someone will tell me that the air pressure on the flight might finish them off....? but if not... I want to take some books and also jewellery, cosmetics clothes and shoes, plus my backpack which has been in my room. Thanks to your site I am clued up about the clothes but don´t know how to manage the rest of the items. I guess I could put the jewellery in the freezer for the next two weeks and I have read that people have put their books in the freezer but won´t the ice damage the books when they are thawing? I had been hoping to lay everything out in the sun but hurricane Alex has put and end to that. Any advice would be much appreciated as will be staying at a friends house when I arrive and do not want to infect her house with transatlantic bedbugs.

2. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Jul 1 2010 6:45:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello.

I'm wonder whether you were able to catch a specimin of the bugs you saw that you describe as being as small as a freckle. If so, will you please taka photograph of it and post it on this forum? Our experts can look at it and see if they can confirm whether it is or is not actually a bed bug.

The reason i am feeling suspicious that you and your boyfriend may not be infested by bed bugs is because you state that you don't have any fecal stains, no blood, no bed bug sightings that you can confirm as bed bugs. Furthermore, i suppose it is in the realm of possibility that none of you 3+ (i'm assuming that you have more than 1 room mate) persons living there have suffered any skin reactions. I can't say what the percentage of probability of that occurring is but it seems somewhat unusual.

Another point: Let's assume that you have some sort of insect or bug infestation that you don't want to carry to Europe. In that case, since they are so small, maybe you should try to carry as little with you to Europe as possible. Can you replace your toiletries in Europe? I would suggest that you read on this forum the posts about moving. Some of us have successfully moved without taking bugs along for the ride. that would include drying your clothing on a hot, hot hot setting for at least one hour and then bagging them up securely in plastic bags (use see through bags so you can identify what things are in which bag).

good luck...

3. Mexibug

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Jul 2 2010 20:50:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, I will get the photos uploaded asap so they can be checked. Thanks for your advice.

4. Mexibug

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Jul 3 2010 12:15:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Um how do I post the photographs

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jul 4 2010 3:33:03
    #

Login to Send PM

@Mexibug, I answered your question here.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,610 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956