Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

flea "dirt" CAN cause blood spots (sorta)

(10 posts)
  1. The Reluctant Entomologist

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Oct 1 2010 11:18:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I mentioned recently that one of my cats (who loves me so, he always must must must sleep next to me!) has fleas.

I mean, we're talking a wicked, wicked case of the things. Like, last week, I was lying in bed to go to sleep and petting him, and everywhere I'd part his fur, I'd see something move.

Which makes me not only someone with cooties but also a bad catmom, I know, seeing as how it happened after I went a few wks delinquent on his monthly treatment (he goes outside, and there are a number of strays who like to come into the yard) -- and, in response to a question one of you asked (I'm sorry; I can't remember who it was who kindly posted the info about flea dirt a week ago or so), I hadn't been alternating between the types of drops I was using since some are so expensive and many don't mention being good for mosquitoes, which can transmit deadly worms to outdoor cats.

Finally, enough time had passed that I could treat my little furry darling again w/o poisoning him, and I'm happy to say that he's no longer absolutely crawling with fleas. However, he's still got lots and lots of "flea dirt" in his fur. (Despite how much he likes to cuddle, he's actually quite scrappy, hates being picked up, and will probably cut me if I stick him in a dry bathtub and try to brush his coat clean, though that's probably what I need to do).

Anyway, I guess the weather's been weird and I've been stressed out (or maybe I'm having premature hot flashes?) but I've been sweating buckets at night, and right in the area where the cat sleeps up against me was covered with spots -- like, an INSANE number of them, and all of a sudden. Like, imagine your Climbups have been empty for 4 mos., and then one day an army of bbs, all of them in private jets or parachutes or helicopters or evolved with wings, got word that there would be a really, really rad party, better than anywhere else to be in the whole world, in my bed.

This really freaked me out, needless to say.

Then I was thinking about that helpful recent post about wetting flea dirt, and I took a bunch of flea dirt from my cat's scalp and sprinkled it on one area of the bed (which is kind of what ends up happening anyway when he's all buggy), misted the area with a spray bottle of water, pressed my arm down on it, and lo and behold if what was left didn't look EXACTLY like bb evidence.

Either that, or I'm in utter denial, and the bbs have eaten all of my cat's fleas (after "galloping in on the backs of mice") and taken over the joint, and the real reason I'm sweating so much is my body's way of saying, "wake up, stupid! There's a party on you're body, and you weren't invited!"

And BTW, yes, I'm saying, "Don't worry! My life is ONLY swarming with tiny blood-sucking things that HOP! Not bbs! Party!" I was also thinking of adopting some rats.

2. nycyn

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Oct 1 2010 18:54:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I thought I might have fleas. The dog sleeps with me. Whenever she's on the bed I find these tiny, gravel-hard, black things. She's not scratching herself except occasionally and I haven't had any recent bites.

Sometimes I see tiny flying things, except fleas don't fly--they jump. I wonder, and I really want to know, if a jumping flea APPEARS to be alight--appears to be flying.

3. SearchandDestroy

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 12 2010 21:35:28
    #

Login to Send PM

OMG...Reluctant E..I gotta say, this is too darn funny. I know the situation isn't but the way you wrote it! Cracks me up..and I haven't laughed in awhile so thanks for that.

Well..how about a kitty bath? I'm sure he'll love it!

I hope the bbs haven't eaten the fleas, wow, now wouldn't that be somethin'. That's what you need to do...train some spiders to eat both the fleas AND the bbs. I know DE works for fleas but I don't know how in the world you go about treating with it.

4. 123bugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Oct 12 2010 22:17:29
    #

Login to Send PM

It's a sad state of affairs when we all desperately hope we have fleas............

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 13 2010 0:21:26
    #

Login to Send PM

This is a good reminder. Lots of times people suggest flea bites will only be on the lower legs/ankles/feet. Not so!

I hope you're both flea-free soon.

Flea drops have always skeeved me out, but post-bbs, I kind of get a buzz that they turn fluffy into a pest-killing machine. Where she sits, pests die. Gotta love that.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. 123bugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 13 2010 0:43:33
    #

Login to Send PM

So this flea thing - if your pet has them you could see them if you went through fur with a flashlight and magnifying glass, right? I want to have fleas, not bbs, but can't find any fleas, either. Can they have just a few? My cat and dog are scratching more than normal but not alot - just several times a day. Their fur seems purrfectly fine. Couldn't they get fleas just to humor me? Because - did I mention - I really want fleas, not bbs.

7. kannon_bosatsu

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Oct 13 2010 0:52:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Check for ear mits. My dog had ear mtites for a while and would psychosomatically scratch randomly. Once we treated the mites the random scrathing stopped.

8. The Reluctant Entomologist

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Oct 14 2010 17:42:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Search & Destroy --

Thank you for thinking my post was funny -- and for giving me my new gangsta' name, "Reluctant E." I like it...

I've noticed that Petco sells an all-DE flea powder. I confess I've been using the food-grade type on the cats. I'm careful not to puff it out and make it airborn; I just put a bunch on my hands and then work it into their fur. Some cats enjoy this more than others. (Some think they're getting bodywork).

9. The Reluctant Entomologist

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Oct 14 2010 17:50:24
    #

Login to Send PM

P.s. I meant to say that I'm definitely joining the Crips, not the Bloods; I kill them!

10. 123bugs

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Oct 14 2010 23:40:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Kannon - Thanks- checked but don't think they have ear mites..........darn.........

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,432 posts in 50,192 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams