Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

first time with bed bugs...gone after initial treatment???

(6 posts)
  1. bedbugged80

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Sep 29 2016 0:22:42
    #

Login to Send PM

hi there! i have been reading for about 2 weeks now and thought i should ask about my situation and maybe it will offer some help to others with a similar situation.
    about 2 months ago, the bartender at my job came to work and told me that she found bbs in her apt. i didnt know much about them at the time....only that i never wanted to have them, they typically bite in a pattern, and they are eztremely difficult to get rid of. so my advice to her was not to do it herself and to definitely call a PCO. so for that week, a co-worker and myself were worried (but uneducated) so we thought that as long as we kept our distance we would be ok. she finally says she threw out her mattress and sofa and "treated" her place. so we continued with our same routines and patterns. its a restaurant and we all share the same break room and keep purses and coats together. also, this is a japanese hibachi restaurant so the asian employees who work open to close all week will sleep in the restaurant on the booths and chairs. and a couple of them store their blankets and pillows there.
    anyway, 2 weeks ago i fell asleep on my boyfriends couch and woke up maybe 30 mins later when i felt a bite on my cheek. it itched and after scratching i realized there was 2 bumps. i immediately freaked out and jumped up and started looking. right there in between the cushions were 2 very small nymphs. i didnt know what they lookes like at the time but when i saw 2 of the exact same bugs and had 2 bites i started to piece it together. i told my bf and he fot upset with me for steealing his peace of mind. i went home and checked my bed and found nothing. i woke up the next morning and saw 2 on my bed but didnt wake up to any bites like i did at his house. the ones on my cheek from earlier went away after about 20 mins or so...so im guessing that if i dont wake up every time i get bit then i wont ever really notice. i go to his house every night after work and hadnt noticed anything but turns out he had some bites on his legs and never told me bcuz he knows how i feel about ANY bug let alone bbs. but he didnt think it would ever be bbs either. so i immediately call some people from work and it turns out several people had them so theyre obviously in the restaurant bcuz i have never been to any of my co-workers homes. thats my story (sorry for rambling)

i call 2 PCOs and have inspections and estimates. the first guy went to my bfs apt and saw a tiny one on the bed...he didnt see anything at my house after checking the bed but he stopped there bcuz i had already saw one and knew i had them. he said it was a minor infestation at both places. the next guy checked my house thoroughly (curtains, beds in both rooms, living room, etc) and said minor also. i started prepping and found a total of 3 in the 4 days between inspection and treatment. the fecal stains were mostly on the back of my mattress and one on my pillowcase. nothing on sheets. i spent the entire 4 days prepping...bagged up everything, inspected wall decor, books, etx. PCO came and treated my house and the apt. he said my bfs apt had more than this house. I havent seen ANYTHING since here and my bf saw 3 the night of the treatment and nothing since. its been 7 days. i check the beds and sofas at least 3 times a day. i havent even found any dead bbs. but on my carpet it could be easy to miss. i know the whole idea is to get rid of these lil suckers but my psyche is all messed up now. are they hiding somewhere safe and not coming out? PCO said with minor infestations its possible and even likely to get everything after one treatment...but from what ive read it usually takes more. if theres any eggs left and they hatch within 14 days...will the nymphs DEFINITELY die from the residual? i ordered some temprid sc and a sprayer and some delta dust so i can treat again. if im still not seeing anything after 14 days i really dont want to pay him to come back but still would feel better if it was sprayed and dusted again. i didnt notice anything on the unwashable stuff in the clear bags i used so i do believe it was minor. im ready to put my stuff back in place and start to have some normalcy bafk in my life. my wholw world is about bbs now. im constantly carrying a flashlight with me and checking everything, im worried about going places, i dont sleep well at all, and now im psyching myself into thinking that seeing nothing is a bad thing.

i apologize for the extremely long post, i just want some answers for my exact situation. all advice and comments are welcome. thanks!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Sep 29 2016 2:09:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs often take two or more treatments, but one is definitely possible since it's a small problem. You should have some kind of monitors in place to help you confirm when they are gone (e.g. passive monitors, see this FAQ on bed bug monitors).

If you bagged untreated items and aren't going to treat them, don't keep them in the bags-- you don't want to keep any bed bugs or eggs which might have been in there alive. You want them to come out, cross poison and die. There may not be any, but better to be safe.

Consider taking steps to avoid bringing them home from work or your partner's home. The travel faqs cover this.

are they hiding somewhere safe and not coming out?

Bed bugs don't really do that-- unless perhaps if treatment is done which makes them scatter. (One reason for having a pro do the 2 week follow up treatment is they may be less likely to do things that may cause such issues.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. bedbugged80

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Sep 29 2016 10:02:57
    #

Login to Send PM

thank you for such a quick response! as far as my bfs apt, we treated both homes on the same day so any follow ups or monitoring will be done exactly the same at both places. as far as work....wellll i got fired for "talking about bed bugs". the owner and manager refused to make people aware so i did myself. NO ONE should ever have to deal with this and people have a right to know. i believe part of the bb epidemic is bcuz people keep it quiet and allow others to visit, they visit others, etc. anyway, the owner is not getting the restaurant treated (or even inspected) so im probably going to call the board of health.
    for the items that i cant launder, what are the best ways to treat them?

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Sep 30 2016 1:35:06
    #

Login to Send PM

anyway, the owner is not getting the restaurant treated (or even inspected) so im probably going to call the board of health.
    for the items that i cant launder, what are the best ways to treat them?

Sorry about your job. Glad you're taking action. What a mess.

We have FAQs on treating stuff. See also Useful Tools for DDVP strips, which aren't covered in the FAQs and may carefully be used to treat some items in sealed bags.

5. bedbugged80

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Oct 1 2016 5:08:23
    #

Login to Send PM

ok i just ordered some monitors. but today i sprayed temprid sc and used cimexa dust ...didnt see anything when i had the beds apart and nothing on couches. but my mom just woke up with 3 red bites below her neck...but there is not one stain anywhere on her sheets or mattress (which were just washed today). i really feel hopeless and im ready to cry. on top of losing my job over this and spending half of my savings on treatment, im dealing with all the other bb related problems and anxieties. wouldnt there definitely be fecal traces if a bb (or 3 bbs) just bit my mom?

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Oct 1 2016 15:55:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Skin reactions are typically delayed and the delay can be hours, days or a week or more. You can't judge based on bite reactions for this reason.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

273,660 posts in 44,814 topics over 137 months by 19,670 of 20,375 members. Latest: Aryn, JASM, Tashagene