First time and pure panic - receives first treatment

(13 posts)
  1. missmello

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Sat Jun 2 2018 0:13:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I had been getting bit last week (one in a line on my leg 3 dots) but nothing overwhelming. They were kind of small and fading. More random spot bites later, and this MORNING i find an adult bb in my bathtub. ALIVE. I have had no other bed bug signs other than bites. Put that sucker in a baggy zipped and exterminator confirmed. He did do a full spray/chem treatment (took like 45 mins for my one bedroom apt, I keep everything extremely clean and clutter free) and seemed confident. He also couldn’t find any signs. We also checked dresser drawers.. He’s coming back in 10-14 days for second treatment.

Preface, not sure if it matters: They are working on two units a few stories below me. They are working on the roof. Construction is being torn down but we got a notice saying “we sprayed the ground floors” (somehow not comforting) We have an exterminator come every other month to spray beneath sinks where pipes are.

Tonight, as I checked under my bathroom sink I saw a DEAD bedbug. I am panicking though grateful it’s dead. I informed my landlord and am making it clear to inspect others. I live alone and kind of feel beside myself. I also get nervous that I spend time on my couch, though I’m making sure to sleep in bed like normal. I am also using a discrete bed bug laundry service. Supposedly best of the best.

It’s been not been great and my anxiety is an all time high. I am scared to be in my bathroom, sit on my couch at night or sleep, and I know I shouldn’t be. Please tell me I’m doing something right.

Thank you for taking the time to listen. xx

2. MuddaFrigginBedBugs

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Sat Jun 2 2018 0:49:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I know the feeling. Ironically I have been confined to my bedroom the last week as we slowly rid ourselves of all our furniture. Out mattress and box springs (one which was a bit infested) has not been a problem since we put special covers on them. They were apparently in our beloved sectional couch as well so we tossed that already. I have been crying non stop as I slowly throw more and more things away. Memories. Freedom. Sanity. All gone because of these freaking things. I’ve been having non stop panic attacks and convinced myself I’m somehow going to take them with me despite taking nothing but clothes and stuffed animals (run trough the dryer on high heat) and what I can salvage of my kids toys, along with my TVs and gaming consoles.

3. Tc1988

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Sat Jun 2 2018 17:23:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Im knew here i need help
    I moved into my new place in march about 2 weeks ago i found a bed bug on my son
    I immediately called my landlord I haven't been home in since long story short my neighbors were infested I live in a duplex we have a conjoining wall I'm just so confused because my exterminator told me I was at a 4 which I think is still really really bad I threw out all my furniture in my bedroom even though I was told I didn't have to the only place they found any evidence of bed bugs was in my headboard I had a fabric headboard no evidence on my box spring no evidence on my mattress just my headboard so I tossed it my bed my box spring my dresser mirrors the only thing left in my room is a television they chemically treated it's been a week now and I still haven't been home I've just came home to clean and check and see if I can see anything well I think I've been seeing them try to get in through the windows and because of this I haven't been home I don't think that my neighbors are really doing what my landlord says and I'm just terrified that if I go back to that place that my kids are going to get bit again so my question is if I'm if im at a 4 how long have they been there and why haven't I noticed them even when I checked my own mattresses also the lady that livez down the street from me said the lady that lived there before me had bed bugs because of my neighbor but my landlord didn't do anything my landlord's a family friends and my family actually did maintenance on the apartment and didn't have any problems they threw out the carpet they said they didn't see any bed bugs or any evidence of bed bugs when way they were doing the maintenance so I don't know if what she saying is the truth but my neighbors were infested they had to throw out their whole entire house what are the chances of me actually being bedbug free ever again or do I have to move

4. missmello

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed Jun 6 2018 0:19:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Guys I’m sorry for your issues but I’m asking for help.

I don’t need the extra fear.

Update after spray on Friday:
    Landlord got pissed I didn’t use “his” guy. But his guy walks around with a canister and thin hose spray and swears that will kill it. Claims they’re the same chemicals the exterminators I hired, killed. I’m thinking he’s a fraud and I’m thinking the infestation is somewhere else.

Dead bb under bathroom sink. An alive adult unfed was in bathtub. Fecal/dirt stains on corner of mattress. Second treatment is in 7-8 days.

Still paranoid and upset.

5. missmello

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed Jun 6 2018 13:40:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Update again: my exterminators think he’s full of shit. And I agree. Girl across from me last night is now having issues.

My exterminator called and said to not worry and wait for second treatment. If it’s not resolving, then they’ll put the pressure on the landlord.

Why do I have to wait for more bites.... also saw a shell (kind of looked like a rolly Polly shell) on my couch. Which I was just sitting on this morning.

I’m at a loss. Like I’m starting to have frequent panic attacks. Would appreciate some responses. I’m in NYC by the way.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jun 7 2018 13:50:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs in the bathroom are not the norm. They can suggest that bed bugs may be coming from an attached unit (they have been known to travel along pipe chasings). It can also mean the problem is bat or bird bugs, which might be the case if you have birds or bats nesting in or on the building. The former explanation seems more likely.

If other units -- like one across the hall-- are having issues, it may be a widespread problem. The landlord will need to find and treat all affected units.

I know that is probably discouraging. However, the neighbor may or may not have bed bugs. (Lots of people think they do when they don't.) She should post a photo of visual evidence for ID, if it hasn't been confirmed by a PMP.

I would also encourage you to get support from a therapist for the panic attacks. If you are already getting treatment for this, you may need more support. If not, it can really help. It won't make bed bugs go away, but it will help you deal with the situation until you're able to put it behind you.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. missmello

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jun 7 2018 13:53:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobusonme — THANK YOU! My adjacent neighbor just knocked and said he has them now. He’s now speaking to the landlord as we speak. Clearly it’s spreading and clearly, our landlords and his exterminator aren’t doing anything fast. If it’s not fixed, the exterminator I hired said that if they return in my 90 warranty (after my 2nd spray next week) they’ll put pressure on my landlord.

Why won’t they just do their jobs?? I don’t understand...

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jun 7 2018 20:02:23
    #

Login to Send PM

There’s a learning curve with bed bugs. If they never dealt with then before, or are really trying to save money in self-sabotaging ways, they won’t look for and deal with all the cases, because it seems to cost more. In the long run, they would save money by dealing with it properly.

9. missmello

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jun 7 2018 20:03:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - absolutely! And in NYC we have 311 who will come and inspect and make sure it’s addressed. Thank you for your support. Mentally I am doing better and working with my therapist.

10. missmello

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jun 7 2018 20:04:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 1 minute ago  » 
    There’s a learning curve with bed bugs. If they never dealt with then before, or are really trying to save money in self-sabotaging ways, they won’t look for and deal with all the cases, because it seems to cost more. In the long run, they would save money by dealing with it properly.

I keep forgetting to quote, ha! But thank you again. I will brave this out in numbers (neighbors, not bugs!)

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jun 7 2018 20:12:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Good luck, missmello.

12. LittleRin

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Jun 8 2018 0:38:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I would definitely remind your landlord that if he doesn't tackle the bed bug issue properly, it'll just spread to the rest of the building and he will have to pay out WAY more money than he already is, trying to skimp out with what's probably the cheaper extermination option.

Here's what I found on NYC Tenant's Rights just in case you haven't already looked at it:

Right to a bed bug free environment : For tenants in New York, the right to a bedbug-free environment is included in New York City's Housing and Maintenance Code, Subchapter 2, Article 4 , which specifically names bedbugs in the list of insects the landlord is legally obligated to eradicate.

The New York City Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) lists bedbugs as a Class B violation, which means that they are considered hazardous and that the landlord has 30 days to correct the problem. The landlord must eradicate the infestation and keep the affected units from getting reinfested. Learn more by reading the Metropolitan Council on Housing Fact Sheet on Bed Bugs .

13. missmello

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Jun 8 2018 11:21:17
    #

Login to Send PM

LittleRin - 10 hours ago  » 
    I would definitely remind your landlord that if he doesn't tackle the bed bug issue properly, it'll just spread to the rest of the building and he will have to pay out WAY more money than he already is, trying to skimp out with what's probably the cheaper extermination option.
    Here's what I found on NYC Tenant's Rights just in case you haven't already looked at it:

Right to a bed bug free environment : For tenants in New York, the right to a bedbug-free environment is included in New York City's Housing and Maintenance Code, Subchapter 2, Article 4 , which specifically names bedbugs in the list of insects the landlord is legally obligated to eradicate.
    The New York City Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) lists bedbugs as a Class B violation, which means that they are considered hazardous and that the landlord has 30 days to correct the problem. The landlord must eradicate the infestation and keep the affected units from getting reinfested. Learn more by reading the Metropolitan Council on Housing Fact Sheet on Bed Bugs .

Absolutely. And my neighbor adjacent from me has also made a compliant in person. If it continues after my 2nd spray, I will be calling 311. Can I ask where you’re finding this info?

Also a minor side note— is it normal to discover the bites later in the night? I’m finding my bites aren’t that itchy and fade in a couple days. Also wondering if some of these reactions are from the adult huge carpet beetle dying under my bed.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,537 posts in 46,600 topics over 142 months by 20,554 of 21,420 members. Latest: TRAY, tjg, jm1985