First PCO visit - Very dissapointed

(7 posts)
  1. jimb5140

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Jul 22 2007 0:47:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I thought it would take a couple hours...he was done in 5 minutes. My landlord recommended an exterminator and said he will cover the cost. The exterminator warned me that it will take several visits, however when he came over he only sprayed our entire apartment for about 5 minutes, mostly just getting the ground. He assured me that his applications were enough, and that the spray would cover a very wide area enough to kill them. It looked more like he was just spraying for roaches. We have a 4 bedroom apt. with a small living room and kitchen, and I was very disappointed. I just thought there'd be more thought put into it. He then gave me some mice glue traps to put around, assuring me they would "jump onto it". He said he would be back in 2 weeks to respray.

Thoughts anyone?

2. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Jul 22 2007 11:17:30
    #

Login to Send PM

sounds like it was next to nothing--may even have done more harm than good. if at the very least ... have him back if you can't get yourself a better one, and you'll now have to do a lot of learning on doing some of your own pest contol. I hear we have a new faq on that. I have not read it--but it "nobugs" puts it out, it is usually bound to be good info and advice.
    It should have taken at least a couple of hours!

3. ihateBB

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Sun Jul 22 2007 12:43:08
    #

Login to Send PM

jimb, I have a one bedroom, one living room, bathroom and a kitchen and my PCO took longer than 5 minutes. You having 4 BR definitely should have taken more than 5 minutes. Did they even treat the beds? Just treating the bed alone and inspecting it should've taken 5 minutes. Think my PCO took at least that long to inspect my one bed.

I think you should tell your landlord that the PCO may not be a BB PCO...there are PCOs that don't know how to treat BBs. Did you ask the PCO how long they have been treating BBs?

4. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Jul 25 2007 23:26:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Jim,

You got some perspectives on your serious dilemma, so I'm sure you have a lot to think about, but don't lose sight of what is really needed in your apartment: a treatment (and follow-ups) by a PCO who knows bedbugs. Getting rid of them is a project that will require participation by all of you. I hope you can sort this out by speaking to your landlord. And I really hope you don't get stuck with this PCO, but if you do, you should speak to the PCO directly about your concerns and ask for an explanation of their treatment protocol. You may just prod them into doing a better job.

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Tue Jul 31 2007 22:20:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Find out what the PCO used (they usually leave a list on a receipt). Go to thebedbugresource.com and see if it's kosher. 5 minutes sounds bad but you need more ammunition for saying it was a bad treatment. Get that confirmed by Sean and the other PCOs at the bed bug resource, and use this to convince your landlord you need someone who KNOWS bed bugs. And they have to inspect all adjacent units. You can find articles about what happens when landlords DON't take treatment for bed bugs seriously... they end up having to evacuate the entire building and vikane gas it. He'll save money doing it right, now.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. jimb5140

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Aug 3 2007 20:53:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your advice Nobugsonme, and everyone else. He's coming for a second spray tomorrow, I'll get a copy of the receipt.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Aug 3 2007 23:38:30
    #

Login to Send PM

And I really like Nomo's advice to speak to him directly about your concerns. Remember, if you aren't happy, you can call and speak to the supervisor, manager, or owner (depending on the size of the outfit).

ps Am I right in thinking he's coming back after only nine days? That, at least, is a good sign.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081