Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

Finding PCO for inspection

(15 posts)
  1. VeryScared2FindOut

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Oct 31 2018 10:08:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been trying to inspect myself for almost a month but, can't seem to shake my fear that I am putting my kids at risk because I don't feel confident that I am inspecting well or the right way. I am unable to locate any PCO firms within less than 100 miles of me that even claim to have bb experience let alone anyone that claims to do both K9 and visual professional inspection. This actually is keeping me from calming myself (and I think causing a stress breakout reaction tha then starts tailspinning me back down the infestation trail as possible bites) because that leads to the fear that if we do end up with bb from exposure that I will be stuck trying to diy treat and failing as all the horror stories indicate. I even signed up for a service that assured me they could locate a professional that would be willing to come to my area...no such luck. I may be relegated to using either Orkin or Terminex because they are chains that will probably make the trip but, I am just afraid that they would be like the so called professional installer for DirecTV....just some random minimally trained, low paid employee who really doesn't know how or care to really do a good job. Any advice out there re: chain PCO services?

2. keephopealive

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Oct 31 2018 13:52:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I appreciate that the ideal situation is to have a reliable and trustworthy PCO inspect, but given the level of detail that you've gone into so far without finding any evidence, can you honestly say that if a PCO inspection gave the all clear that you'd trust it 100% or would you still have that element of uncertainty about the competency/accuracy of the inspection that would continue to fuel the fire of doubt?

I ask this because I'm in a very similar situation. Although I did have a direct exposure to the bugs, I'm 3 months in with no evidence of bugs and a clear K9 inspection but I'm still not relaxed in the way that I'd guess many people would be. I guess my mind is just wired that way; hyper vigilant and super cautious...

I'd be careful throwing too much time and cash at the problem until you're convinced that an issue is present. Probably the best thing to do is monitor carefully in as many places as possible. You could always make some yeast CO2 traps and harborages.

3. VeryScared2FindOut

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Oct 31 2018 16:13:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I have some monitors that I ordered coming in the mail hopefully very soon. If I can have one of those clean for a couple of weeks...I am hoping I can shake the high level anxiety...but if I find something that will be a while new level of freak out due to the hard time finding what I would consider a reputable pco...

4. keephopealive

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Oct 31 2018 19:19:06
    #

Login to Send PM

It's a double edged sword really; I've had clear passives for over 2 weeks but I'm still getting bite like marks on my skin so I'm questioning how accurate they are and whether they're in the correct place etc.

Initially I would have felt freaked out by seeing a sign on them but now I honestly think I'd be relieved to see something as at least I'd be able to fight the problem rather than operate in constant doubt.

I think like yourself, I'm very cautious by nature and want to be on top of the problem straight away. I've had to do a lot of work on myself these past 3 months to cope better with not being in complete control; it's certainly taught me patience if nothing else!

5. prosper23

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Oct 31 2018 20:26:51
    #

Login to Send PM

^That sounds like me, just that i've been dealing with this mess going on for like 2 years! never found a live bug, but still getting bite like marks, blood stains on clothes. I have only found carpet beetles and my passive monitor was always clear. I just have it between my mattress and boxspring now but i'm still lost overall on what's the cause

6. keephopealive

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 1 2018 6:28:03
    #

Login to Send PM

prosper23 - 10 hours ago  » 
    ^That sounds like me, just that i've been dealing with this mess going on for like 2 years! never found a live bug, but still getting bite like marks, blood stains on clothes. I have only found carpet beetles and my passive monitor was always clear. I just have it between my mattress and boxspring now but i'm still lost overall on what's the cause

Did you have an exposure to bedbugs that leads you to think the marks are from that? At 2 years in, assuming you've not been self treating I'm guessing the evidence would be overwhelming by this point? That's a heck of a long time to be in a state of limbo; at 3 months I'm totally exhausted!

I know carpet beetles have been attributed as a cause for some.....how do the marks appear on you?

7. VeryScared2FindOut

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 1 2018 6:32:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I have had an exposure scare before...I was able to shake that one off a little easier after a month or so of no signs. This time not so much. I think it may be the baby that has me hyper anxious...because I now catch myself trying to scan the daycare for signs when I drop her off! Perhaps ther is not much hope for me to ever really relax again?

8. keephopealive

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 1 2018 7:43:19
    #

Login to Send PM

VeryScared2FindOut - 1 hour ago  » 
    I have had an exposure scare before...I was able to shake that one off a little easier after a month or so of no signs. This time not so much. I think it may be the baby that has me hyper anxious...because I now catch myself trying to scan the daycare for signs when I drop her off! Perhaps ther is not much hope for me to ever really relax again?

I think given enough time, the absence of signs will be enough to make the hyper vigilance diminish. My main issue is that although I have no signs I have endless bites and until that stops, I'm just not able to turn off my mind. It makes sense when the pros say to monitor and wait for signs but the idea that I'm potentially nourishing and sustaining the little sods just to catch a glimse of one at some as yet undetermined point in the future make me feel so frustrated and unable to truly relax.

9. VeryScared2FindOut

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 1 2018 10:00:55
    #

Login to Send PM

It is so frustrating. I was reading a pco site online who described them as structural pests akin to termites...the only difference is in their choice of meal. So far...the only person that thinks they have bites is me...and I am starting to wonder if I am psyching myself into that because the amount of itching or pimple bumps may not be out of line...only that I am more aware of it all...I keep talking myself down by saying time will tell....easier said than done, right??

10. keephopealive

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 1 2018 10:06:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Absolutely. The idea that they are a structural pest and infest structures and possessions is the only thing that give me some sense of being able to escape them mentally.

I can honestly say that in the absence of these bites I would have let this go within a couple of weeks, as scary as the initial exposure was. I guess deep down I'm feeling that the absence of evidence cannot be evidence of absence when these marks persist.

I guess time will tell for both of us.

11. VeryScared2FindOut

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 1 2018 14:52:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Although...this is one time I am truly hoping to be proven WRONG and I can handle being called a total nut!!

12. keephopealive

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 1 2018 15:29:12
    #

Login to Send PM

You and me both!

If I'm wrong I will happily don a clown costume and ride around on a little bike while people point and say "look at the crazy person :-)"

13. VeryScared2FindOut

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 1 2018 18:38:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hopefully that will be our new trend! We can be poster children to help against the stigma of bb AND mental illness....it could be a win all around!! Here's to hoping to be wrong.

14. VeryScared2FindOut

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Nov 2 2018 9:59:40
    #

Login to Send PM

One day down...nothing in the traps. Keeping fingers crossed.

15. VeryScared2FindOut

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Nov 8 2018 7:27:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Still nothing in any traps. I am still having bad dreams about opening a tote and having them boil out like bugs on scary movies. I haven't seen any more spots on any of the mattress pads that don't just brush away ( I sure hope that logic is sound...from reading it sounds like bb poo is super sticky and would not brush away from the mattress like lint). No unusual bumps or bites that I can find on the children or myself....at least I don't think so...I am starting to really think what I thought was unusual really was normal and I was just being hyper aware. I will keep my monitors out and probably still be flashlight searching periodically but, at least I don't feel physically I'll all the time. Thanks to everyone who has been interacting with me on this sight. I appreciate the experts reviewing my photos and the pep talks. I am sure this isn't my last post as is my phobic nature....I will be back...just hopefully not multiple times a day. Thanks!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,578 posts in 46,826 topics over 143 months by 20,660 of 21,557 members. Latest: Dread Bugs, gbbedbug, BuggedOUTinOH