(8 posts)
  1. bugger09

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Mar 4 2010 14:24:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

I am looking for a new apt in the Brooklyn Area. I'm trying to avoid bed bugs so I am using Bed Bug Registry and checking the housing violation stuff (to check for reports of vermin). I have 2 other ideas I would like to get anyone's feedback on.

1) I saw on craigslist there was an ad for Bed Bug Inspectors, a k9 team. The ad said to "inspect before you rent!" I tried searching the forums but is this even a reputable company? Also, is it even possible as a renter to inspect before renting?

2) Say I move into a "clean" apt. Would it be wise to caulk up and dust with de any cracks in the walls and floor before moving in? I dont want to be too paranoid but I figure that could help somewhat if a infestation emerges whether in my apt or someone else's.

Thank you very much,
    bugger09

2. greenapplepest

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Mar 4 2010 19:37:22
    #

Login to Send PM

bugger09 - 5 hours ago  » 
    Hello,
    I am looking for a new apt in the Brooklyn Area. I'm trying to avoid bed bugs so I am using Bed Bug Registry and checking the housing violation stuff (to check for reports of vermin). I have 2 other ideas I would like to get anyone's feedback on.
    1) I saw on craigslist there was an ad for Bed Bug Inspectors, a k9 team. The ad said to "inspect before you rent!" I tried searching the forums but is this even a reputable company? Also, is it even possible as a renter to inspect before renting?
    2) Say I move into a "clean" apt. Would it be wise to caulk up and dust with de any cracks in the walls and floor before moving in? I dont want to be too paranoid but I figure that could help somewhat if a infestation emerges whether in my apt or someone else's.
    Thank you very much,
    bugger09

You are wise to be concerned. Inspection and Prevention is always a great idea. Bedbug dogs are costly but it may be worth it. Then caulking up the whole apt once you are sure is key. Prevention services are more affordable. Look into it and make a knowledgeable decision.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Fri Mar 5 2010 3:33:14
    #

Login to Send PM

greenapplepest - 7 hours ago  » 
    Inspection and Prevention is always a great idea. Bedbug dogs are costly but it may be worth it.

greenapplepest is right to use the word "may." Dog teams vary a great deal. If you hire one, they should visually confirm any dog alerts.

Many handlers apparently don't, and so customers can come away wondering if they have bed bugs or not.

There is discussion here of a team called Bed Bug Inspectors but they're in Chicago.

Update: there's more discussion here of the Bed Bug Inspectors in NY, who were the subject of a recent article. According to the Times story, the handler does not seem to be verifying dog alerts, but waiting for the subsequently-called-in-PCO to do that.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. bugger09

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Mar 8 2010 20:06:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey
    Thanks so much greenapplepest and nobugs! I'll remember that a visual confirmation should be key with the dog searches.

5. MyWorstFear

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Mar 8 2010 20:15:59
    #

Login to Send PM

bugger09, please let us know how this works out for you. I am dreading having to look for an apartment as well in a couple of months. Between the apartment, moving vans, and furniture being delivered, there are just too many opportunities to get bed bugs. I'm hoping you'll have figured it all out before I have to do it, and I can learn from you.

6. bugger09

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Mar 11 2010 18:50:14
    #

Login to Send PM

No prob Worst Fear. I'm actually trying to get this started way before I have to move so I can figure things out. I'll be probably asking a lot of questions on here before that.

Good luck to both of us!

7. bugger09

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Mar 28 2010 16:14:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello!

An UPDATE and some questions:

SO I found an apartment. Its very nice and I have already signed for it. After reading the link that NoBugs provided, I thought long and hard about whether a bed bug dog was a good idea or not. I also was not sure how to get one to search around during the renting process.

Instead I used bedbugregistry.com, the NY Housing Violations website, and a very awesome apt finder (if you would like their name, just PM me). I even got to talk to the previous resident of the apartment and the another tenant of the building who both said that the building was great and never dealt with any bug but an occasional roach. I even got to talk to the landlord who said she has an exterminator for these sorts of things and comes in regularly anyway.

Granted, I know I was very lucky to be able to talk to the tenants and the landlord but talking to them over an anonymous handler made me feel much better.

My next steps are to:

1. Clean the apartment head to toe.
    2. Caulk and dust any available cracks with DE.
    I know I should definitely caulk but is DE overboard if I dont have bugs?
    I'm not good at caulking, can anyone refer a good caulker in my direction in the NYC area?
    3. Move into the apt!

Now the moving bit is where I'm really scared. I dont have a lot of things but I want to move without catching anything in the truck. I talked to Moving Right Along a while ago to ask whether they provide vikane treated trucks. They said yes but they said I might as well put my things in the truck while the whole thing gets vikaned.

Is this completely crazy? I dont have bugs, I just want to prevent myself from getting them.
    Thanks so much for your responses. It means a great deal to me.

-e

8. MyWorstFear

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Mar 29 2010 12:50:00
    #

Login to Send PM

bugger09 - 20 hours ago  » 
    Hello!
    An UPDATE and some questions:
    SO I found an apartment. Its very nice and I have already signed for it. After reading the link that NoBugs provided, I thought long and hard about whether a bed bug dog was a good idea or not. I also was not sure how to get one to search around during the renting process.
    Instead I used bedbugregistry.com, the NY Housing Violations website, and a very awesome apt finder (if you would like their name, just PM me). I even got to talk to the previous resident of the apartment and the another tenant of the building who both said that the building was great and never dealt with any bug but an occasional roach. I even got to talk to the landlord who said she has an exterminator for these sorts of things and comes in regularly anyway.
    Granted, I know I was very lucky to be able to talk to the tenants and the landlord but talking to them over an anonymous handler made me feel much better.
    My next steps are to:
    1. Clean the apartment head to toe.
    2. Caulk and dust any available cracks with DE.
    I know I should definitely caulk but is DE overboard if I dont have bugs?
    I'm not good at caulking, can anyone refer a good caulker in my direction in the NYC area?
    3. Move into the apt!
    Now the moving bit is where I'm really scared. I dont have a lot of things but I want to move without catching anything in the truck. I talked to Moving Right Along a while ago to ask whether they provide vikane treated trucks. They said yes but they said I might as well put my things in the truck while the whole thing gets vikaned.
    Is this completely crazy? I dont have bugs, I just want to prevent myself from getting them.
    Thanks so much for your responses. It means a great deal to me.
    -e

I'm not sure I understand exactly. If you use that truck place does the truck come to you already
    Vikaned?
    Or, do you have to request a vikaned one? (and then how would you know for absolutely sure, that the truck was vikaned and not reinfested before coming to your place to pick up your stuff)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,328 posts in 50,173 topics over 155 months by 21,930 of 22,427 members. Latest: nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo, Ctired14