Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

Finding insperation at kindergarten graduation.

(13 posts)
  1. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue May 23 2017 20:41:24
    #

Login to Send PM

My biggest issue with dealing with my infestation has undoubtedly been mentally. I have my plan of moving, pretreating everything possible and then fumigation a moving truck, but I've had trouble getting the ball rolling. I'm constantly in fear of spending most my savings doing so and still taking them with me. I'm constantly in fear that we spread them accidentally to family and could get them back even if we rid ourselves of them. I'm letting my fear control what I know I must do. I know it and I'm constantly thinking about it, yet still hit a wall.

Then... here I am, at our girls kindergarten graduation. Trying to enjoy and celebrate an important time in her life. They start off singing 2 typical elementary music class songs... and then they sing a song you wouldn't really expect. A song you'd hear on the radio, not in a music class. Sure, it's not the kind of music I listen too, and it may be corny, but it was the message it sent that really hit home and about had me burst into tears right then and there in front of hundreds of people.

"I can almost see it
    That dream I am dreaming
    But there's a voice inside my head saying
    You'll never reach it

Every step I'm taking
    Every move I make feels
    Lost with no direction
    My faith is shaking

But I gotta keep trying
    Gotta keep my head held high

There's always gonna be another mountain
    I'm always gonna wanna make it move
    Always gonna be a uphill battle
    Sometimes I'm gonna have to lose

Ain't about how fast I get there
    Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
    It's the climb

The struggles I'm facing
    The chances I'm taking
    Sometimes might knock me down
    But no, I'm not breaking

I may not know it
    But these are the moments that
    I'm gonna remember most, yeah
    Just gotta keep going

And I, I got to be strong
    Just keep pushing on"

Sure it's miley cyrus... but I couldn't help but think this is my wake up call. Someone somewhere smacking me in the face.

Just something I wanted to share. Thanks for reading.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  2. CantStopCrying

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue May 23 2017 22:07:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow! I got goosebumps reading that! Wow Miley got us having all the feels!

I'm sorry you're still dealing with this! Is it possible that you could inspect families homes to here you are scared you spears them to? Ya know for piece of mind? The best thing you can do is get into a single family home and battle so you don't have to worry about "is my neighbor treating too?" You will get there in your own time, anxiety is a bitch that just keeps on giving! DONT LET HER WIN!

I'm finally starting to calm down, unpacked 6 bags, ran them in the dryer again before putting them away (that bitch anxiety made me do it) but I still have a lot packed away because I'm afraid to open bags.

This will prob be the only time I agree with Miley but she's right!
    "Ain't about how fast YOU get there
    Ain't about what's waiting on the other side
    It's the climb"

As long as you keep working towards your goal you will make it!

3. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue May 23 2017 23:31:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Can you imagine the goosebumps I got hearing over 100 kids sing it. I'm not a very religious person but it's hard for me not to imagine there was something higher up at work there. I mean... what are the chances I'd hear such a meaningful song that hit home so hard at a kindergarten graduation. I get why they chose the song, but surprised they'd sing an actual song you'd hear on the radio, let alone one that hit home so hard.

"As long as you keep working towards your goal you will make it!"

This is what I need to tell myself every time I start thinking negative and too far into the future.

4. BattleoftheBug

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu May 25 2017 21:00:18
    #

Login to Send PM

It was touching, but reading your posts have made me wonder how long you have been living with these bugs--and with a six-year-old! Come on, she doesn't deserve that. If you've got to spend some money, do it. I don't know what you've done so far, but it hasn't worked. When I got the bugs six years ago, I was living alone. I had come into some money and had a new bed, a new sofa, and some other new LR furniture. Within a few months, despite seven sprayings, I was still seeing nymphs and decided to give up everything, no matter how much I had spent on it. I threw away other stuff, memorabilia that meant a lot to me. I had become unsentimental because I could not live with those bugs. Peace of mind is worth a great deal. Move with as little as possible and you can probably prevail. I took with me a few things sealed in plastic bins, my clean clothes in a large one and inside a large BB-proof luggage encasement besides. I took a couple of small pieces of furniture I could inspect easily and well. That was it. I lost a lot of money and had to buy new furniture again. Recently, my sofa got infested and I threw it out right away because I knew it would be a losing battle to keep it around. I don't have much money now but will have to get another couch. You know you can't keep living with those bugs. Spend your money! It will be a gamble, but so is life. If you do it right and are willing to sacrifice--you could win.

5. BattleoftheBug

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu May 25 2017 21:06:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I forgot to mention--anything you can wash you can take with you. Your dishes, pots and pans, are no problem. Wrap the pictures from the wall and any others you want to keep in layers of saran wrap and take them. A year later you can unwrap them.

6. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri May 26 2017 6:01:40
    #

Login to Send PM

BattleoftheBug - 8 hours ago  » 
    It was touching, but reading your posts have made me wonder how long you have been living with these bugs--and with a six-year-old! Come on, she doesn't deserve that. If you've got to spend some money, do it. I don't know what you've done so far, but it hasn't worked. When I got the bugs six years ago, I was living alone. I had come into some money and had a new bed, a new sofa, and some other new LR furniture. Within a few months, despite seven sprayings, I was still seeing nymphs and decided to give up everything, no matter how much I had spent on it. I threw away other stuff, memorabilia that meant a lot to me. I had become unsentimental because I could not live with those bugs. Peace of mind is worth a great deal. Move with as little as possible and you can probably prevail. I took with me a few things sealed in plastic bins, my clean clothes in a large one and inside a large BB-proof luggage encasement besides. I took a couple of small pieces of furniture I could inspect easily and well. That was it. I lost a lot of money and had to buy new furniture again. Recently, my sofa got infested and I threw it out right away because I knew it would be a losing battle to keep it around. I don't have much money now but will have to get another couch. You know you can't keep living with those bugs. Spend your money! It will be a gamble, but so is life. If you do it right and are willing to sacrifice--you could win.

First things first, I appreciate what you're saying... but you also don't know my situation and for you to insinuate that I'm unwilling to spend the money and am in the wrong for not already doing so is unfounded and wrong. I have no problem spending every dime I have to get rid of these things... it's going to happen. But I'm also going to do it right and give myself the best chance at getting rid of them. I personally know people who have done what you did, but most didn't take any furniture what's ever. Some succeeded in leaving the bugs behind... some took the bugs with them. All had smaller infestations than what I had at its peak. I'm not going to just move with minimal stuff, spend a bunch of money replacing beds, furniture, etc. just to have it all infested again. You also need to understand I have a family of four... I can't just give up everything and move, it's just not possible. I'm going to move, renting a dumpster and throwing out all our furniture and beds. I'll load up all our personal belongings we have left, clothes, brand new washer and dryer, electronics,, dishes, some toys, and other misc. items. in a moving truck and have it fumigated. I'm also replacing our vehicle so I'll time it out to where our new vehicle won't be used until we move. I'm also going to pretreat everything I possibly can in a packtite, dryer and with ddvp strips.

Quite frankly, my plan is a lot more responsible and thought out than what you are suggesting.

Also, how do you know what I've done to treat my current issue isn't working. Yes, we still have an issue... but my two girls haven't gotten bit in about 3-4 months... I'd say it's working...

7. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri May 26 2017 6:43:20
    #

Login to Send PM

mp7 Are you sure that what you are getting is still bites? If you haven't found anything and your girls aren't getting bitten, it sounds like you may have reason for some optimism. I know sometimes David says that people are reacting to the chemicals at some point. Just a thought. Wishing you the best!

8. BattleoftheBug

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri May 26 2017 8:14:40
    #

Login to Send PM

These were your words, MP7ski: " I have my plan of moving, pretreating everything possible and then fumigation a moving truck, but I've had trouble getting the ball rolling. I'm constantly in fear of spending most my savings doing so and still taking them with me. " I think it's clear enough that you're worried about wasting your money and it wasn't some insinuation on my part. You also stated: " I'm not going to just move with minimal stuff, spend a bunch of money replacing beds, furniture, etc. just to have it all infested again. You also need to understand I have a family of four... I can't just give up everything and move, it's just not possible." But I never said that you should "give up everything". My exact words were " Peace of mind is worth a great deal. Move with as little as possible and you can probably prevail. " I realize that "as little as possible" is not going to be the same for a family of four as for one individual. But I think that it's not rocket science to believe that not taking a lot of unnecessary stuff increases the chances of bed bugs not being brought along. Weren't you the person who just posted some pictures of your arms with bites all over them? If it's really true that your children aren't being bitten, then that's great, but I would have to wonder, having seen your arms, why you are the only one. You wrote a description of your plans and then added "Quite frankly, my plan is a lot more responsible and thought out than what you are suggesting. " I don't see what I suggested other than what I wrote about minimizing the risk. But my point was that not "getting the ball rolling" on account of fear of wasting money means you are going to remain in the bed bug situation. Getting rid of bed bugs usually does cost money to one degree or another. You, at least, admit to having some savings. Many people who write here have nothing, not even the hope of being able to pay for what they need to have done. I realize that you are under a lot of stress, am in a position to understand just how much. But what you wrote makes as much sense as someone saying "I know I should get to the doctor as I don't seem to be able to get rid of this pain but I am afraid to spend the money for the visit because I am not sure he can cure me."

9. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri May 26 2017 15:52:48
    #

Login to Send PM

I never once said the reason I'm having trouble getting the ball rolling is because of money. The reason i brought up spending my savings is because of my fear of taking the problem with me and then being broke, leaving me with no money to battle the issue. My trouble is how I spend the money whether it be battling where I'm at or spending it moving and trying to leave them behind. My trouble is making a mistake that causes us to bring the bugs with us.

I just disagree with the tone you took in your first post. You act like I'm not doing what needs to be done when you know little of the specifics of my situation, regardless of what I've said on here.

Regarding the bites I posted, if you reread that thread, you'll realize I came to the conclusion they weren't bites at all but skin reactions from work.

I don't even understand why we are talking about this cause I do agree with you for the most part, I'm just going about it a way that that is a bit different than what you suggested. I am taking minimal things like you suggest, I'm just having it all treated before moving into a new place instead of crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

I appreciate you giving your opinion, just suggest a different tone next time. Regarding "come on, she doesn't deserve that"... you think I don't know that, you think I don't think about my three girls having to deal with this every single day. It's what I think about 90% of the time. I could care less that I'm dealing with this, it's that they have to... but because of that I'm going to make sure I do the best I can.

Believe me, if I was on my own, I would have already walked out of this house with nothing, but that's not the case and I need to make sure the next steps I take are the right ones, not a anxiety filled panic that could leave me in an even worse situation.

Do I need to hit a point and realize I can only do so much and take a chance... maybe... maybe part of my problem is I'm trying to do this the best way when that may not be possible in the first place. But I'm still going to give it my best shot.

10. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri May 26 2017 20:01:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Mp7 So does that mean that no one in the house is currently getting bites? Maybe you've licked it without walking away from everything. You've worked hard. I hope that's the case.

11. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri May 26 2017 22:24:50
    #

Login to Send PM

barelyliving - 2 hours ago  » 
    Mp7 So does that mean that no one in the house is currently getting bites? Maybe you've licked it without walking away from everything. You've worked hard. I hope that's the case.

Me and my gf get bit frequently. My gf has a pretty bad reaction and she gets at least a few a week. They've gotten a little worse recently. At least our girls aren't getting bit that we know of. It makes sense because the worst of the infestation was in our room. Once we isolated the bed after treating the bites stopped for a couple weeks but then some found their way onto our bed and ever since I haven't been able to figure out where they are hiding. I've replaced our bedding and pillows, sprayed the frame, mattress and box spring encasements and yet they still are hiding out somewhere. We had a pretty bad infestation to begin with so I'm not surprised we still have issues even with all my hard work.

12. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat May 27 2017 0:07:14
    #

Login to Send PM

So sorry it's continuing. Maybe you could apply Cimexa up the side of the box springs or something. Definitely around the bottom part of the mattress. The only trick is how to stop them from using bedding to avoid crossing the Cimexa. One study I read had Changlu Wang applying dust vertically on fabric bands, so I think it would work vertically. Hoping and praying for you.

13. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat May 27 2017 6:38:44
    #

Login to Send PM

My cheap metal bed frame is dusted with cimexa and there's cimexa between the mattress and box spring. I also dry our bedding at least weekly for 3 hours.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,305 posts in 49,236 topics over 152 months by 21,584 of 22,005 members. Latest: Robbysee, Elephant88, Nobugsplsto