Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Success Stories

Finally in the clear after dealing with these fuckers for almost 6 years.

(13 posts)
  1. Proudmommyto3rottenboys

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun Mar 17 2019 20:40:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been following this site and posting since Ive been dealing with bed bugs...Thats been almost 7 years ago..We had them off and on..Never had them badly either.So heres my story...7 years ago we lived in a house with our 3 boys..My oldest son wanted a futon for his room.We had a friend offer hers up cause she was moving in with a friend and couldnt take anything with her.After it was placed in my sons room we had noticed dark spots all over the mattress.Wasnt sure whay they were but we ignored it...My son started getting huge red spots all over him.He had a snake at the time that had mites.So we thought that was the cause of the spots...Just continued to live our lives.About 6 months later we had a friend over.They came into our room and said they had just seen a bug crawling up their shirt and he said it was a bed bug.He flushed it...I had no clue what they were or how serious this was.We continued to live our lives...We moved into our house that we live in now.Shortly after moving here we realized just how bad the situation was.I was laying in my bed and woke up early in the morning to go to go to the bathroom.When I got back in bed and was trying to go back to sleep I seen a bug crawling on our blanket.This was the very first bug I had actually seen myself.I freaked out really bad...Called our landlord and he had a pest control come spray our house.That was done 3 different times...All the spray did was piss the bugs off.Then I begged the landlord to get a Heat Treatment.He was not ok with it and was sure the sprays would work..So I asked him to go in half with me to pay for it and I would pay him back...So we got our first Heat Treatment which cost $2,200.It had a 3 month warranty on it...Thought we were good and in the clear...4 months go by and we seen another bug....Had to pay for anothet heat treatment.But the landlord wouldnt help again.So we paid $2,200 again.This time we had went over a year without seeing anything....We were so happy it was over...Then another bug was seen climbing on my shoulder.I thought I was or my kids were bringing them back in the house.So we paid another $2,200 for our 3rd Heat Treatment...We were determined to do it right this time.No one was allowed in our house at all.Everyone had to strip naked everytime they left the house before coming in.We were bed bug free for over a year again and then another bug!!!!I dont want to go into all the details about how traumatized I was.Everytime I would see bugs and we had to save money up for weeks to get each treatment I was sleeping outside in tents.One of the times it was winter out and I froze in that tent.The bugs dont bother my husband or boys like they do me.So they were ok in the house.I just coulsnt do it.The bugs freaked me out so bad..I was constantly crying and felt like it was never going to end.I was to the point were I was going to burn the house down and be homeless with my family.Amything is better then dealing with bedbugs.So I called another Pest Control.I was tired of dealing with these guys.$8,000 in and we still had bedbugs.How could it be???What are we doing wrong?So the new Pest Control told me that Heat Treatments DO NOT WORK...Yes it kills most of them.But some run so deep into your walls and they stay there for so long before coming back out..So we wasted all that money for nothing..They told me they could do a Fumigation were they tarped and taped up all the windows and doors and put gas throughout our whole house.The gas can fit and go through every crack that a bug can.They push the gas through your whole house so it works.We also paid for a warranty that no matter what time goes by if they come back they will fumigate for free.We have to pay the warranty fee every year...So to get the fumigation we paid $5,000.That was with the warranty included.I Think the warranty is $400 a year.I would rather pay that a year then keep paying for Heat Treatments over and over again...But Im almost positive we are really bed bug free now.We also went on Amazon and bought CrossFire Spray in a HUGE jug and I continue to spray the beds,vracks and furniture with it so if we ever run across the problem again we have it taken care of before it gets out of hand.Im so glad that we got the fumigation done but I will forever be traumatized by bed bugs.I am always searching my bed and furniture for them.If my body feels itchy I am always checking to make sure there isnt a bug on me.If I see a little piece of dirt on the floor I think its a bug.I dont let anyone come over at all.I still make the kids strip naked outside before coming in.I wont buy anything used and I wont sit on furniture anywhere outside my house.So if your dealing with bed bugs in a house I would highly recommend you get a Fumigation...Dont waste your money on Heat Treatments cause they dont work!!!!!Also most Pest Control places will work with you on paymemts to get a Fumigation...Also get you some CrossFire Spray..It really does work the best
    ..Im just so glad to be done with all this.Bedbugs is the worst thing I have ever had to deal with.I wouldnt wish them on my worst enemy!!!Good Luck Everyone and just know your not alone!!

2. SalsaVince

Posted 6 months ago
    Sun Mar 17 2019 21:33:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry you've been through such an ordeal. Many report having had success with heat treatments and it sounds like you did too for even over a year at one point. So the last PCO that you hired that did the fumigation theorized that the bugs went into your walls from the previous heat treatment and didn't come out to eat for over a year? Those would be unusually patient and hardy bugs to be willing to do that. How long ago did you have your fumigation?

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  3. Proudmommyto3rottenboys

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Mar 20 2019 9:10:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes let me explain why.Everytime we got our heat treatment it was around winter time.After getting the treatment the bugs run from the heat....So they go to the very outside of your walls and stay for awhile.It gets summer and they feel that heat and stay again...Then a year is up and its winter again...They start coming back out...Im tellinh u this is the case...The bug place we go through now said everyone they had done a heat treatment on had the same exact problem as me.They wont even do heat treatments anymore.Everyone had me thinking I was crazy saying the bugs would ccome out to eat before a year...Not true...Im just trying to help people so they dont waste their money on heat treatments...

4. Bug Buffet

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Wed Mar 20 2019 20:04:35
    #

Login to Send PM

After a 4-year massive infestation I went through a 6-hour heat treatment, followed by a chemical backup treatment and have been bb free for a year. The best pest control companies use what's called Integrated Pest Management, which is using something that kills immediately followed by the use of a residual method that continues to kill stragglers/survivors for several months afterward.

Heat treatment alone (which it sounds like you had) isn't magic by itself and shouldn't be the only method used.

Don't assume that they're somehow just hanging around the outer layers of your house. You can kill bed bugs and then days, weeks, or months later accidentally reintroduce them from an outside source.

5. Proudmommyto3rottenboys

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Mar 21 2019 23:45:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I understand that bed bugs can be brought back in.No the bug company didnt use any spray after all 3 of my heat treatments...Which makes what I said true.Heat treatments DO NOT kill all the bugs.Thats all my post said.So what are you trying to get too here?

6. Proudmommyto3rottenboys

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Mar 21 2019 23:49:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Also I was bed bug free for over a year also...Took every precaution the last time abd I am postitive I didnt bring them back in my house.So your at the year mark right.In a few months come back and let me know how your doing?I pray for you that what your doing works.Most cases they are SUPER HARD to get rid of.

7. Proudmommyto3rottenboys

Posted 6 months ago
    Thu Mar 21 2019 23:54:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Also do you specialize in pest control?If not please dont argue with me about the bugs going to the very outside of my walls and staying there...The pest control Im going through now which is highly recommemded her on my town told me that the bugs will run from the heat and go to the outer parts of my walls and stay until yhey feel cool air again before coming back out.Bed bugs can go up to almost 18 months whithout eating.Yes most bugs when hungry will usually come out to eat but NOT ALL of them.

8. Bug Buffet

newbite

Posted 6 months ago
    Fri Mar 22 2019 18:29:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow...I must have really struck a nerve. You said heat treatments don't work for you...fine. But they DO work for other people (there are posts on heat treatment successes here), and some of us double up with a residual method just to be safe. No treatment is perfect, and their effectiveness is only as good as the skills of the professional applying them.

I have not seen a bug in a year. If any were around, I'd know, because I'm very sensitive to any insect bites.

Let me back off because, when it comes to some people's threads, if there's not total agreement, it's war.

9. Leila

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun Mar 24 2019 0:00:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Same happened with is with heat treatment.
    Apparenlty bugs have a 4-5 hours until heat gets lethal to dissapear in walls crevices ceiling.
    Its been a nightmere for us to try and get them out again.
    Lucky the vikane worked for you!!! Happy for you!

10. bugged-cdn

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun Mar 24 2019 12:04:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes most bugs when hungry will usually come out to eat but NOT ALL of them.

Do you have a link to a scientific study to back up this claim? Thanks.

11. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun Mar 24 2019 12:28:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Heat is not as simple as it is sometimes sold as being.

Heat is not always applicable as a solution and in some situations it is the wrong thing to do.

The most obvious issues to look out for are:

• Only convective heat will work reliably, anything which is conductive will have issues with dispersal and cool spots.
    • Outside of a controlled "chamber" heat can take a lot of prep to set up correctly, even in the most sparce of rooms.
    • Heat only works on the bugs in the room at the time and will not resolve future introductions.

I would strongly suggest that anyone who is looking at heat as a solution either ensure an adequate post treatment QC / QA using monitors or strongly consider only heating if you know 100% that it was a "single source" exposure to bedbugs as outlined in my writings on "infestation dynamics".

The keen eyed readers may have spotted this appear about 6 months ago:

https://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/heat-treatment/

It outlines why we have never invested in heat based solutions beyond the PackTite units I have bought the only other heat based solution I have found worthy of endorsement was the Insect Inferno trailer.

The difficulty is that helping people to understand what makes a good decision takes time and often in a state of panic people do not feel they have time on their side.

I hope that explains why "heat works" is a fallacy.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  12. Markitude

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun Mar 24 2019 22:57:14
    #

Login to Send PM

If heat treatment does not work, I guess all the bedbugs at both my house and my Mom's house laughed themselves to death when I thought turning their world into a sauna would be a good idea. It will be 2 bug-free years this May.

If you went a whole year without a bite the treatment was successful. The bugs were dead.

Gone.

Period.

Re-infestation happened.

13. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon Mar 25 2019 7:54:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Proudmommyto3rottenboys - 3 days ago  » 
    Also do you specialize in pest control?If not please dont argue with me about the bugs going to the very outside of my walls and staying there.

Bed bugs were reintroduced, what you're claiming just does not occur, there's no reason for a bed bug to pass on a meal for months on end, it just didn't happen the way you think it did.

I've had no issues with heat treatments. I've been using that method for six years on the properties I serve and have never had an issue.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,804 posts in 49,552 topics over 153 months by 21,709 of 22,154 members. Latest: Jcschw, Zirrion, Natureboy325