Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

"Final" treatment failed. Bedbugs now spreading through neighborhood!

(14 posts)
  1. GothAngst

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon May 21 2018 12:39:02
    #

Login to Send PM

It's been over a week since our "final" treatment. PCO said we should be good... Then I got bitten last night. Furthermore, the house next door(houses are less than 5 feet apart in my neighborhood) is now being treated for an infestation.

Background: I got attacked several times with no trace immediately after moving to current house until I found a dying bb that got a positive ID from entomologist friend. I live in a two story house divided by floor with another family, who denied ANY bug issues. Our landlord outright blamed me since we just moved in. When PCO cleared my apartment, the landlord made our downstairs neighbors get checked... They had a multiple-mattress infestation the had been self treating poorly for an indeterminate amount of time. They later improperly disposed of their heavily bb, feces, and blood encrusted mattresses and encasements with ABSOLUTELY no protection, dragging them around the house and other people's garage to our garbage area. Our downstairs neighbors also did many other completely ignorant and downright idiotic things that completely didn't follow protocol from our very helpful and knowledgable PCO, like having a family gathering the night PCO first treated, etc.

So what now? I'm sure our downstairs neighbors encouraged a drug resistant colony in their top secret scientific breeding laboratory(sarcasm helps me not go crazy). Our new town is about 1 mile by 2 and most of the houses on the street where we live are very close together so I can see this issue compounding rather unpleasantly. Should we plan to move? Hold our ground? Any advice for something of this magnitude, that spans multiple buildings? Bed is an island and its legs are on interceptor cups, though occasionally our blankets touch the floor while we sleep. There's no solution to this except freezing/sleeping even worse than we already do. We inspect the bed frequently and our mattress and pillows are encased. I'm armed with DDVP strips, Cimexa, Ziploc XLs, and a Pack Tite so I am confident in controlling whatever comes in to our house to *SOME* degree. Just not so much our actual whole carpeted apartment. My body swells immensely with these bites and it has now been months of hell I am desperate to solve.

Help!!!

2. Bugsareicky

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon May 21 2018 20:52:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't really have a suggestion for the whole big issue, but a small/cheap suggestion that might help you sleep better... safety pins. After getting into your bed, safety pin the four corners of your blanket to your fitted sheet. You'll only need to remove the two top ones to get out of bed in the mornings. No more issue with blankets touching the floor

3. thirdusername

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue May 22 2018 2:06:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I like the safety pin idea for the blankets.
    Maybe you can tuck them under the mattress?

What is the weather like outside?
    I'd be more worried about the family in the same house as opposed to other houses.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  4. GothAngst

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri May 25 2018 13:14:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Weather has been warm. Honestly, I'm worried about all of it. If our neighbors were so ignorant for so long that the house next door picked up BBs, who knows how far this will spread in houses 5 feet or less from each other? I can't imagine its a coincidence that the next door neighbors suddenly have an issue as well... And I'm certain our downstairs neighbors are "patient zero" because they're always buying and picking up used furniture and goods, as well as the fact that they attempted to disguise their issue indefinitely.

I seem to be the only person in all this who reacts to bites and follows protocol in spite of PCO saying the problem isn't ours and we could live as usual... but the bugs keep coming even WITH clothing heat treatment and bagging. This is a nightmare... Go figure, I survived half my lifetime in NYC free of BBs and as soon as I move to the country BAM!

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri May 25 2018 13:24:10
    #

Login to Send PM

It's not uncommon for old bites to flare up, especially with the stress you're currently experiencing. I would continue to monitor but without a live bug it's hard to say if the treatment actually failed.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  6. GothAngst

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri May 25 2018 22:40:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I am 1000% positive these are new bites. I've never gotten bit in the same place twice. True, always my mid to upper body. But since the bites swell dramatically(lime sized), its easy for me to count each one and keep track of where they are. I start itching shortly after bites occur in my sleep, and wake up with welts that crescendo in size before finally deflating. This time I got bit near my left elbow and my right forearm while sleeping on my stomach. My shoulders and arms get the worst of it. Once my hand, which swelled up like a Mickey Mouse glove. The worst occasion, I had 10+ bites on my abdomen with several in the "breakfast, lunch, dinner" pattern. I have also been photographing in case I need to do something legally, so I am absolutely positive that it's not old bites itching.

I have extremely sensitive skin and this is the only time Ive ever been grateful for that fact! My bites last a minimum of one week. Benadryl before bed sometimes delays the reactions so I don't begin itching til noon the next day when Im bitten, but generally I wake up as the bites are happening. Lastly, the attacks are far enough apart to be sure of timing as well. No more than once a week, but often several weeks pass. Marked frequency after PCO, including the night after sprays.

7. thirdusername

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat May 26 2018 0:31:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I sympathize.
    Maybe you can get Aprehend
    I haven't heard much about it but it is some fungal treatment.
    BIOwarfare may be called for.

8. GothAngst

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat May 26 2018 8:04:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Won't the bugs just keep coming back no matter what I do if the neighbors keep mismanaging their own infestation? PCO said as much... As much as I'd like to light a match and walk away, seems like a lot is out of my hands. No sense soaking ourselves in chemicals if New bugs can keep crawling in. There is already powder within the baseboards and walls of the building on top of the usual poisons and growth inhibitors.

I've not found any information regarding a multi house infestation so I'm not feeling too great about the outcome here. All we can do is ride out this lease as long as it doesn't get worse unless someone has a better suggestion... Then everything gets put in the packtite and in plastic bins, or bins and then DDVT strips. Luckily we didn't buy much furniture and are fine with chucking it all, and mattress is encased..

thirdusername - 7 hours ago  » 
    I sympathize.
    Maybe you can get Aprehend
    I haven't heard much about it but it is some fungal treatment.
    BIOwarfare may be called for.

9. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed May 30 2018 17:05:46
    #

Login to Send PM

But you still haven't found a live bug, correct?

10. GothAngst

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed May 30 2018 17:56:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Incorrect. Three live adults caught in our apartment by me personally and positively IDd by my entomologist friend and our PCO. Encrusted mattresses found with neighbors downstairs. Definitely BBs.

BigDummy - 49 minutes ago  » 

11. thirdusername

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu May 31 2018 1:41:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe the treatments you've had will keep the bugs out of your place.

12. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu May 31 2018 8:47:11
    #

Login to Send PM

GothAngst - 14 hours ago  » 
    Incorrect. Three live adults caught in our apartment by me personally and positively IDd by my entomologist friend and our PCO. Encrusted mattresses found with neighbors downstairs. Definitely BBs.

BigDummy - 49 minutes ago  » 

I meant after the last treatment.

13. GothAngst

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu May 31 2018 18:34:55
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy, since the last treatment we've found one live bug in the bathroom of all places, and I was attacked the 10th night after that treatment. My boyfriend doesn't react to bites whatsoever whereas I am supremely allergic like to nothing else, so I don't count my bites as much of an idicator. It has now been almost 10 more days since my last bites, the day it happens again I am calling PCO myself and considering our apartment an unlivable condition and breaking the lease, treating and packing things into plastic bins.

Our downstairs neighbors had a party the night PCO came to inspect rhe first time(after denying any issue in spite of encrusted mattresses) so I have no doubt that this will be re infestation Groundhogs day thanks to their non compliance if this treatment really didn't do the trick.

14. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jun 5 2018 22:57:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I’m not an expert and I’ve been off this board for a long time. But my take: If you’re in an apartment house and it’s clear the neighbors are not cooperating (perhaps even making things worse), consider leaving. Find out what the laws are in your city and what resources you might be able to tap. An oft-cited principle is “warranty of habitability”. Keep a record of events and conversations. And figure out how not to take the bugs to your next place. I’d be less concerned about what’s happening in a neighbor that’s not attached.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,789 posts in 45,873 topics over 139 months by 20,200 of 21,005 members. Latest: Bed-Bug-Beyond, Greg7707, Krogerss