Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

Feeling helpless so I had to do something drastic

(10 posts)
  1. hopeitsnotbugs

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Feb 27 2018 16:29:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I know I have posted a lot even without having a confirmation of bed bugs, but I am literally going crazy and need to vent. My son has woken up the past few nights with more and more "lesions," and I can't take it any more. He's had 15 total I think between yesterday morning and today. I had a PCO who specializes in bed bugs come out Friday, who inspected mine and my son's mattress and our sofa and found nothing (I had suspected bites as well). I found 3 suspicious spots on his sheets this morning, but they did not really smear a lot when wet. I have a passive monitor and haven't seen anything and climb-up interceptors, but am wondering if those even work, and put box spring encasement on 3 nights ago. His pediatrician didn't think it was bites when i took him yesterday because I was so worried when he woke up with so many, but the dermatologist he saw last Friday thought they looked like bites. So, today I was fortunate enough to get a hold of a K9 inspection and they are coming out very soon. It isn't cheap, but I feel this is something I need to for my sanity. In any case, I feel helpless that I can't help him right now and it's making me very upset.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Feb 27 2018 16:40:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Make sure that any positive hit from the dog is followed up with a hands-on inspection of that area and actual evidence. I've seen false positives first hand.

3. hopeitsnotbugs

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Feb 27 2018 18:17:52
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 1 hour ago  » 
    Make sure that any positive hit from the dog is followed up with a hands-on inspection of that area and actual evidence. I've seen false positives first hand.

Thank you. She looked some of the time but didn't find anything. The dog made 6 hits, or in 6 different areas. I don't know what to do next because I know most PCO's won't treat without visual evidence. This was just a canine inspection handler, not an actual PCO. The PCO I just called basically said to wait it out until I saw visual evidence, but in the meantime my son keeps getting bitten.

4. bugged-cdn

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Feb 27 2018 20:21:11
    #

Login to Send PM

The dog alerted for bed bugs in six places and the handler was able to find zero evidence?

5. hopeitsnotbugs

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Feb 27 2018 22:03:48
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged-cdn - 1 hour ago  » 
    The dog alerted for bed bugs in six places and the handler was able to find zero evidence?

Yes, but she didn't look all that hard either--and some of the time didn't even look. The places the dog alerted to where not places that the PCO inspected, however. The dog did not alert to either my mattress or my son's (who ironically has been bitten the most), but did alert to my nightstand and his bookshelf. He also alerted to my daughter's bed, but the PCO did not inspect her bed because at the time I didn't think she'd been bitten...but now she is also has bites. They do work independent of an exterminator, however, so not sure if that makes a difference.

6. freakingout123

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Feb 28 2018 6:59:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Could you have another pco come in and inspect where the dog alerted?

7. StopTheSpread

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Feb 28 2018 9:03:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Have a PCO inspection. Document all the areas that the dog alerted to. Document exactly where, like the head or the foot of the bed or what shelf on the bookcase. DO NOT clean up or disturb the areas that were alerted to. You want the evidence there.

In both cases where I have used a dog, I have followed-up with a PCO inspection. The first time, we had one false positive with three alerts. This was a known infestation and it was a post-treatment follow-up. The second inspection was at a different location. One alert and it was a false positive. The inspector couldn't find anything. That was in August 2016 so I know that there was nothing there.

I am a little suspicious that the dog alerted to six areas and the handler didn't find anything. And also you haven't seen anything either. To me, six different areas throughout a household is not a light infestation. I would think that something would be found somewhere.

If the inspector does not find anything than I would try and set up some monitoring devices in the areas that the dog alerted to. If the bookcase has legs, place some passive monitors there. Also on the legs of the nightstand. Move them out from the walls. If a bug is in the nightstand or bookcase, they will leave to feed at some point.

8. hopeitsnotbugs

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Feb 28 2018 9:23:01
    #

Login to Send PM

StopTheSpread - 16 minutes ago  » 
    Have a PCO inspection. Document all the areas that the dog alerted to. Document exactly where, like the head or the foot of the bed or what shelf on the bookcase. DO NOT clean up or disturb the areas that were alerted to. You want the evidence there.
    In both cases where I have used a dog, I have followed-up with a PCO inspection. The first time, we had one false positive with three alerts. This was a known infestation and it was a post-treatment follow-up. The second inspection was at a different location. One alert and it was a false positive. The inspector couldn't find anything. That was in August 2016 so I know that there was nothing there.
    I am a little suspicious that the dog alerted to six areas and the handler didn't find anything. And also you haven't seen anything either. To me, six different areas throughout a household is not a light infestation. I would think that something would be found somewhere.
    If the inspector does not find anything than I would try and set up some monitoring devices in the areas that the dog alerted to. If the bookcase has legs, place some passive monitors there. Also on the legs of the nightstand. Move them out from the walls. If a bug is in the nightstand or bookcase, they will leave to feed at some point.

Thank you for your information. They will send me a report that will have where all the dog alerted to, and I've already contacted 3 PCO's via their website (Including the company who came out to visually inspect). When I woke up in the middle of the night I also thought I need to buy climb-ups for the nightstand and bookshelf. I was surprised to that the dog alerted to 6 rooms, especially since I first started getting some bites about a month ago (but didn't know that's what it was), and my son a few weeks ago. His are bad though. I may have found a few fecal spots for the first time on his sheets yesterday. I'm afraid our stupid vacuum spread the eggs around, or I spread them around dusting.

9. buckfedfugs

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Mar 1 2018 0:28:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Post pics of bites. Three in a row is instant red flag. Little blood smears on white sheets is also a sign. Thoroughly inspect everything. Could be skeeters if bites are not in groups.

Work in a group home, have delt with these nightmares for years.
  10. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Mar 1 2018 12:53:20
    #

Login to Send PM

buckfedfugs - 12 hours ago  » 
    Post pics of bites. Three in a row is instant red flag. Little blood smears on white sheets is also a sign. Thoroughly inspect everything. Could be skeeters if bites are not in groups.

No, not really. Mosquitoes don't have to feed in groups.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,917 posts in 50,062 topics over 155 months by 21,886 of 22,374 members. Latest: kslone1006, Hex999, Gauned