Feeling helpless and confused!

(3 posts)
  1. Gothamgirl

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jun 27 2016 15:40:40
    #

Login to Send PM

This all started about 2 1/2 weeks ago. I woke up with about 5 bites that were warm to the touch, itchy, and red welt-like bumps. At first I thought it had to be mosquito bites until a friend asked if they were bed bug bites. I panicked and looked up bed bug bites. My bites looked nothing like the pictures I saw online. I was somewhat relieved but I kept getting bites consistently after that. I've gotten about 11 bites total in about 2 weeks. It wasn't until early last week when I killed a bug on my pillow that I got concerned. I killed it with a tissue and it was like a popped a bubble of blood. The bug was clear and not very big. I went back and did more research online. It seemed as though I had BBs. I pulled off all my bedding, checked for stains or more bugs and whatever other signs I could find. I found some tiny black spots on the corner of one of my sheets and what looks like a casting of a nymph shell but that was it. So I then washed all my bedding, heat steamed all the outlining seams of my mattress, sprayed Steri-Fab on everything, sprinkled DE on my mattress and box spring and covered them with new covers. I also sprinkled DE on my metal bed frame and along the baseboards by the head of my bed. (I do not have a headboard) I have moved my bed away from the wall so that it doesn't touch and sprinkled DE on the risers where the bed frame legs fit into them. I have only gotten one bite after the steam & Steri Fab treatment and nothing (knock on wood) after the DE & new covers. I check my sheets and pillows every morning for any signs and so far nothing. I am sleeping with minimal bedding just in case I see a BB so I can kill it. I put my duvet, extra pillows and sheets in a clear bag after I washed them last week to minimize what I had on my bed. I don't have any other cloth furniture, i.e. - chairs or sofas, I only have bookcases in my (very) small living room. Is there anything else I can do? Do I just keep monitoring by checking to see if I have bites in the morning? I know my landlord has to technically handle this problem(I'm in NYC), but I can't go to him just yet. I am behind on my rent because I lost my job and also can't afford a PCO. How long before I can go back to not being paranoid? I feel helpless and confused and not sure what other preventative/reactive measures I can take. I feel paranoid that I've missed something and will have a major infestation in the blink of an eye. PLEASE HELP!

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jun 27 2016 16:57:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't go by bites. Keep doing weekly inspections and consider a monitoring system. If you can go 30 days without seeing any bugs, you may have nipped it in the bud. If you continue to see bugs in your unit, you'll have to tell the landlord, especially if there are units adjacent to your unit. That's when the building will need professional treatment.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. Gothamgirl

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jun 27 2016 18:40:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Jim Danca, thank you so much for your reply! Since I have not seen a bug in at least 5 days, that can count towards the 30 correct? If I had a major infestation do you think I should've seen more bugs, castings and blood specks by now? So I will consistently check my sheets and will continue to sleep with minimal bedding and will also see if I do get any more bites. I overheard a neighbor telling the super about a problem. I couldn't make out all of it but it sounded like she contacted the landlord about the issue and the super said something about "they don't like the heat" and there was a lot of other buildings that had it on the block. (At one time or another) (my first assumption was that they were talking abou BBs) All of this is making me think that the BBs could have come from a neighbor. I know there's no way to prove this but should my landlord have notified the other residents in the building to let them know to be on the lookout once he found out?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,404 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams