Feeling discouraged.

(2 posts)
  1. SleeplessJuneBug

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jul 12 2017 8:54:00
    #

Login to Send PM

On June 5th I discovered a couple live adult bed bugs and several grouped fecal stains on the crease of my mattress where it was pressing against an outlet on a shared wall. The neighbor on the other side of the wall had been evicted one month prior due to denying bed bug treatments and other various issues (according to rumors, my landlord never notified me that he had bedbugs)😡. They heat treated his apartment maaayybe 2 weeks before I discovered my issue.

I called my landlord the next morning because I discovered it after 5pm and they don't consider it an emergency. It took my harassing them every day to get them to finally send a pco the afternoon of the 9th to INSPECT (not treat).

During this time I may have made some mistakes in a panic. I killed the bugs I saw (only about 4 total, two were for sure adults, one small nymph, and one adolescent). I didn't save any samples. I killed and then sprayed the spot where they were found heavily with hot shot. I also laid some DE in the spots on our platform bed that I could get to (perimeter)We slept in the other room while I started the process of laundering everything on the floor or bed.. anything that might have even been set on the floor for a second, everything in the dresser next to the bed... Etc.

The PCO didn't find any live bugs (imo he wasn't very thorough) but said the staining on the mattress was enough for them to recommend treatment to my landlord. He said he would have to call her to confirm and schedule. Long story short, it was another week before they could come do my first treatment on Friday, June 16th.

We slept in our bed after the treatment, and bites appeared at the beginning of the next week, but then nothing else for the rest of the two week span. I would inspect every other day, and found maybe 4-5 bb of various ages total in this time, but no adults.
    He came for the second treatment two weeks later, and again we received several bites (my feet got slaughtered) in the week that followed. I have found two bugs that were of questionable age (either adults or close to it) and one that was definitely a nymph. Today (7/12) my fiance noticed new fecal tracks on the edge of the pillow that was sticking out of the case. I just ran everything through the dryer 2 days ago and didn't notice them then, but maybe I missed them..? Now I am waiting to see how soon until he has bites.. I have suspected that he has a delayed reaction time. Mine usually start to show in the evening and take another 24 hours to fully develop and start itching.

We are scheduled for a third treatment this Friday, but I'm beginning to feel like this is just going to be our life now.. I'm not sure if I will ever be the same.

Is it too soon for my to be giving up hope? Each week that I find a new one I just feel more and more defeated. Just when we have gone a couple days without seeing any signs or bugs and I start to feel better, something comes up.

We still have stuff in boxes as we just moved in April... we were working on getting a storage unit when I discovered the bugs, at which point we decided to leave things as they were because I had heard about bugs living for extended times in storage and didn't want to accidentally move a bug into the unit for us to reinfest ourselves when we brought stuff back in. The boxes were luckily never in the bedroom so they have stayed stacked in the corner of the kitchen.
    We are wanting to buy a house before our lease is up in April (this apartment was just to give us time to find something in town we liked). I am terrified that this won't be resolved soon enough for me to feel comfortable bringing our belongings into our first purchased home.
    My plan for the boxes is to go through them carefully, and move items we are keeping into plastic tubs that will then be taken to the storage shed. Most of the items in these boxes can't be run through the dryer, so I really just have to rely on my eyes. Maybe then I can put some dvpp strips in the storage unit? Any other suggestions?
    We have a small vinyl records collection and some comic books stored in cardboard vinyl storage boxes... They were in the closet of the affected bedroom. Not sure how to handle those as any other storage container built to hold them well will be more costly.. in theory any bugs in those boxes would crawl out to feed soon as it's just a couple feet from the bed... ??

Any help, words of encouragement, etc?

2. SleeplessJuneBug

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jul 12 2017 9:06:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I did think to save the last sucker I found... Is this an adult? I'm hoping and praying no...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081