Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

Feel like I have the plague and heading for complete ruin

(5 posts)
  1. allbugsmustdie

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Aug 12 2015 20:55:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I work at a fabric store and the month prior to finding out I had BBs I started a new business, a sewing studio to teach private lessons. The studio is a block away from my home and I spent a month filling it with my very extensive fabric collection and all my sewing equipment from my home. After completing the move, I walked around with bites on my arms for 2 weeks thinking I had poison ivy, until I was laying in bed and a bug walked up the wall. The PCO my landlord engaged said I probably got the bug from the fabric store (people bring in fabric or cushions from home all the time) and that I probably had them for a couple months prior to the bites showing up.

I spent my next to last dime opening the studio and now am spending my very last dime to battle BBs. I am terrified that I took them to the studio (or they were already there, possibly where I got them) and now my new business is doomed. I am on the brink of collapse and terrified. I had one treatment done last Friday and still being bitten and finding live adult bugs, even after encasing bed and totally isolating it on risers, new bedding, etc. I have had about 4 hours sleep this week because I just can't relax enough to sleep knowing bugs are going to be feeding on my face (woke up with bites on forehead after treatment). I live alone and am doing all the prep work by myself, I have scrubbed, sprayed, heated, bagged and vacuumed until my arms are ready to fall off. I feel like I have the plague, no one will come near me and I am terrified of going anywhere and possibly infecting anyone else. I go to work after showering, dressing in the tub with clothes from a sealed plastic bin and spraying myself down continuously with rubbing alcohol. The few friends that know I am going through this are sympathetic but can't help for fear of getting them too. I write this sitting at a lone table and chair in a basically empty apartment and I'm just ready to lose it. I read on here about all the reinfestations and difficulties people have and I feel hopeless. How do you do it?? This is the most horrific thing I've ever had happen, it's encompassing my entire life. If I have bugs at my studio besides the apartment and my business closes before I ever start I'll lose everything. I've been living on part-time retail wages (basically minimum wage) since becoming homeless after the great recession. I'm terrified of being homeless and having to claw my way back to a normal life again. The timing couldn't have been worse, I'm 54 with no significant other and no real job opportunities except menial work and I just feel like giving up. Someone please tell me there's a thread of a chance out there...

2. justbecauseURparanoid

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Aug 12 2015 21:29:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm so sorry. You are not alone. I'm feeling very much the same way. There are success stories on here. I wish I could offer more help besides "don't give up!"

"Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you." -Kurt Cobain
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Aug 12 2015 22:54:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I know this is a very stressful time, but you will get through this. Many of us totally have been there with the bites on the face and the missing sleep and the stress (I am one).

Have you had a pro carefully inspect the studio? This is worth doing. You want to know so you can protect people and deal with the problem.

However, unless there are signs there, I would not assume that was the source. If you live in a multi-unit building it's quite possible you got them there and that it happened at the same time as the move into a new place of business may be a coincidence.

Given the nature of your work, in time, you might also try and educate people about bed bugs: signs and what to do if they find them. I know that sounds skeevy, but you don't have to get personal with the story. It's a risk for people generally and yes, if people are in bed or on a sofa doing fabric work at home and then bring it in, there's a little more risk than if clients were coming in for dancing classes.

Longterm there are also probably ways to make the workplace less dangerous in case a bed bug ever is introduced (which might mean storing yarn or fabric in certain ways, creating shelving which has some kind of discreet barrier at the base, etc.). And of course, using bed bug monitors to detect problems early.

Try to stay out of the panic zone. Stay calm and take action, but also take care of yourself.

While bed bugs are never easy or pleasant, remember that MOST people who get bed bugs don't have nightmare stories. Most people I know personally who've had bed bugs had a minor situation which cleared up in several treatments.

And most people on the forums also don't have nightmare stories. They pop in, ask a question or two and things get sorted out. There is no reason right now to have catastrophic thoughts. You certainly should not be panicked because bed bugs are still there after one treatment. Needing more than one is common and does not mean you will have the problem for a long time.

However, your best results will be if you can get the workplace checked.

I hope this helps!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Aug 12 2015 23:08:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I just want to reiterate what was said about not becomimg hopeless about a bed bug situation. The horror stories one reads on the internet are not the norm. The norm is someone has a bed bug problem, calls in a PCO and the problem resolves after 2-5 treatments.

In your case, you've only had one treatment, so I would try and think positively rather than dwell on extremely unlikely worst case scenarios. The darkness will pass and soon enough the bites will stop and the bugs will be in your past.

Richard

5. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Aug 12 2015 23:17:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugs, Richard, Just Because are right. Most people get through it relatively quickly with the sprays, but it is hell while going through it.

You've been through a lot and your mind will tend to pull you to the worst case scenario: I'm analytical and tend to move toward that...Cognitive Behavior Therapy helped with that.

I didn't go through bedbugs, but was exposed to them. I live alone and have set up some processes that help catch an issue early.

Best wishes to you. Breathe and accept that this will pass.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,802 posts in 49,808 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991