Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

Feeding rituals

(10 posts)
  1. heebie_jeeb

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jul 21 2016 15:22:07
    #

Login to Send PM

The 3 PCO's I've talked to have all said if we have bb's we should be getting bit at least every other day. I haven't been bitten for 12 days, but we think my boyfriend was bit last night after 8 days of no bites, but I've seen a lot of people on here say they feed once a week.

I don't know what to believe. In your experience, how often should we be seeing bites? If we've had bb's present in our apartment for 2 weeks, wouldn't there be some sign of them somewhere, like poop or cast skins? Wouldn't they have multiplied by now enough that we'd be seeing evidence?

2. Conwny

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jul 21 2016 15:35:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm wondering the same thing! I thought they fed every night, but maybe that's only if you have a ton and it's different bugs feeding (dry heaving as I type this-disgusting). I also want to know if they poop immediately after feeding. My fear is that they are still there, feeding and pooing somewhere I can't readily see. This is making me so paranoid!

3. yankeedoodle

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jul 21 2016 15:51:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Me too.

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jul 21 2016 15:59:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't base anything on bites. Unless you witness the bite you can't be sure of the culprit.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  5. heebie_jeeb

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jul 21 2016 16:35:59
    #

Login to Send PM

It's so irritating to possibly have bed bugs but not know for certain because we can't find any evidence and the bites are inconclusive. If I'm going insane over a rouge mosquito I will never forgive myself!

6. Conwny

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jul 21 2016 16:49:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm right there with you! My apartment was heat treated on the 14th. I still have a LONG way to go until I can tentatively say they are gone. Right now, there are no signs. My carpet and tile makes it almost impossible to see cast skins or really anything. I'm relying on checking my bed, while I wait for a passive monitor I ordered. I feel like it's not good enough. My skin is really sensitive and I always get pimples on my back, arms, face. I agree that you can't go on bites alone, but what else can you do?!

7. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jul 21 2016 17:06:07
    #

Login to Send PM

They feed every five to seven days. Give yourself a 30 day countdown. For some people, 21 days without any evidence - bugs, poop, cast skins - can be an indication they are gone.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jul 21 2016 17:35:24
    #

Login to Send PM

It's also very much temperature dependent. Warmer, feeding more often - so might be 3 days rather than 5.. Sometimes feces deposited a few minutes after feeding but almost never on the host but can happen.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  9. Panicked

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jul 21 2016 18:03:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Thing is if you have climbups on bed and so they arnt feeding on you in bed, but you still get bites, it could be on the sofa. Then how do u see the fecal deposits. I'm assuming they will climb back down in the frame to poop. I've took the dust cover off mine and looked as best i could but didn't really see any spots. I feel for you all trying to find evidence. Is so frustrating.

10. heebie_jeeb

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jul 21 2016 21:28:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I put an encasement and climb ups on my living room futon too because I was thinking the same thing about possibly being bitten on the sofa. (even though the K9 didn't alert anywhere but our bed) The two fortunate things for me right now are that we're still young so we don't have any furniture that's not cheap crap from Ikea and I'm totally fine with leaving it all here and moving. Next order of business is researching Vikane treatments for moving vans.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

274,592 posts in 45,046 topics over 137 months by 19,776 of 20,508 members. Latest: Mousehead, AnxietyCentral, Ohhmichasia