Fed up with being fed on (Rant)

(6 posts)
  1. manicalchemist

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jan 1 2014 8:19:01
    #

Login to Send PM

My family and I moved to Michigan in August and have been staying with my brother and his wife and my daughter stayed at her grandfather's house (not a lot of room for hubby, daughter and me to stay in one place). Everything was fine, till I started getting woke up in the middle of the night and itchy. As time went on, I started noticing little blisters, usually around my feet, ankles, arms and various places. So I turned to Google for answers...the pattern of the bites resembled those of bed bugs..my heart sank. I asked my brother if he had any problems with bites and/or bugs...he looked at me like I was crazy and told me they've never had any problems.

A month went by after that, and I was still itchy and couldn't sleep. One night, I was laying on the couch watching TV, when I I felt something crawl between my arm and the armrest...I snatched it up as quickly as I could and went straight back to Google...Sure enough, the little bastard was a bed bug. Although we couldn't find any others that night, I knew it wasn't working alone. I confronted my brother with my prey and the google findings...he changed his tune real quick...tried to blame it on the chairs he had gotten from our father (keep in mind, our father has Leukemia and has to stay away from any potential treats and is married to the strictest clean freak I've ever met) so, No way, no how. He KNEW he was infested BEFORE we moved in and chose not to tell us or the land lord. They bought cans of Rid for us to use in the living room (where me and hubby sleep),but I'm guessing theirs got worse and they took the cans into their room and I haven't seen them since....jerks.

Now going on 5 months and the bugs have feasted on me, my hubby AND my daughter (when she spends time with us) though they seemed to have a favorite feasting ground on me...my freaking head! It started with a few itchy spots and now, my head itches so bad I now have scabs and an infection from scratching. They also like to go after my lady bits when I'm on my period...it's horrible!

4 weeks ago , two of our female cats had kittens under the couch and had to move them...when we moved the couch...OMG....there were several clusters of the buggers in the seams of the couch. I thought I was going to gag. I tried talking to my dad about it but he seems to be only concerned about the amount of cats my brother and I have at the apartment....gee thanks dad...glad to know that my inability to sleep, the constant itching and the fact that I feel like someone glued cornflakes, coated with itching powder to the back of my head doesn't make the list of concerns. Between some family matters and THEM, the hubby found us a new place (which is hella closer to his work) but my main concern is...what if we take them with us? They won't feed on my kittens will they? I will never forgive my brother for this

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jan 1 2014 19:25:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs prefer humans but will feed on other mammals, so yes, your kittens are at risk of being bit. If you're finding a lot of bugs, then posting a pic to the forum can help us positively ID them as bed bugs. With animals around, it's possible that you have fleas in addition or instead of BB. This should not have been left to fester this long and spraying Rid (a lice product) alone is not the best approach for BB (or was that Raid, which now has a BB-specific spray, but is still likely not the solution alone in your advanced case). We have a good FAQ and resource guide to help you determine what you need to do. The complicating factor is that it's your brother's house, his responsibility, he's in charge. Your success there is a matter of family dynamics. Sigh.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  3. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Jan 1 2014 20:10:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs will usually only bite cats or dogs if humans are not available, similar to how fleas will start biting humans regularly if flea infested pets were removed from a home.

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.
  4. manicalchemist

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jan 4 2014 15:10:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I killed about 12 of them alone just moving things around yesterday. Rid has reformulated their sprays to now include BB but I have the Raid as well.
    My biggest fear is bringing them to our new home.

5. RaccoonEyes

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jan 5 2014 10:20:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Ah mah gad don't use Aerosols DDD;

6. needrest

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Jan 5 2014 19:57:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, You could check out Vicane treatment for your things before you move. Type in "moving faqs" in the search engine on the top right of this page. You may find posts about moving there.
    Sorry I couldn,t be more helpful. I,m not one of the bug pros. Good Luck.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,803 posts in 50,043 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen