Fecal update:

(9 posts)
  1. victimized

new username: help_me

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jan 21 2011 1:00:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I sort of exhausted my posting voice tonight but just wanted to post on something pretty important. I will not be able to sleep tonight, or I will, depending on what kind of response I receive, if any.

Decided to do a close inspection of the other chair. I noticed a small black spot on the middle of the cushion that was on the fabric as opposed to being a movable crumb. I looked at it up close and it looked like the two stains I found on the other chair, black but with very very very faint brownish red faded edges. I searched some more and along the piping at the top, in between the two rows I found a couple black specks. I examined the area as thoroughly as I could and did not see any bug but I got a piece of tape and pressed it down into the crack with my nail and was able to pick up these two black specks as well as the other minuscule crumbs that were around it.

If it was really bed bug fecal, would it have detached that easily from the material? I couldn't exactly get a firm press. Pretty firm but not a direct access with the piece of tape which makes me feel it wasn't attached tooo tooo tight.

Not feeling relieved but hopeful. It is just that it was between the rows of piping that makes me highly suspicious.

2. heavyrocker

Account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jan 21 2011 3:12:51
    #

Login to Send PM

A good way to findout if you have the bugs is right after geting up our of bed in the morning,put all sheets in bath tub and leave then there for a day while your at work,when you get home you will see them trying to get our but they CANNOT climb porceiain or glass.

3. victimized

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jan 21 2011 3:24:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I would really try that but I have three kitties who LOVE my bath tub. I am afraid that they would get into everything and make a mess of them, if not make a mess ON them. There is something wrong with our door hinge just now so we can't get the door to close all the way other wise I would packtite AND do this in the bathroom.

My mother said that she sometimes soaks her clothes in the washer overnight or something and that I should try this. Fill the washer and just leave the stuff sit in the water for several hours and then see if there are drowned bugs floating on the surface. That wouldn't work so well with something like bedding because it will never sit below the water line as the washing machine tub is standard and our bedding is large. My only fear with trying THIS would be any live ones in there being able to escape up the rotater or through the holes to the abyss around the tub.

Here is an update on my update: I soaked one of the specks in peroxide, lots of it, water, and even tried like hell to agitate it and make it more wet but nothing happened. I did not see any sort of colour come off it onto the paper towel or q tip. The spot on the cushion that wouldn't come up didn't bleed or anything, either. It got a little lighter but I was using peroxide.

4. so unsettling

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jan 21 2011 4:10:47
    #

Login to Send PM

http://www.onlinesciencemall.com/Shop/Control/fp/SFV/30852/vpid/2584444/vpcsid/0

I really don't think that hydrogen peroxide test is very reliable. The tester at the link above provides a much more scientific test. Three chemicals are involved, but it is a simple test to perform. A treated strip is included which allows you to do a test run, and this will show you how the q-tip will look if it test positive. It should turn pink within seconds, but important to keep watching as it might take longer. No more than a minute, though, and I think it seldom would go a quarter of that before turning if it's positive. Anything on it will turn pink eventually, (usually several minutes later) so you have to watch it for a little while.

5. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jan 21 2011 5:33:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbug feces are always very liquid when they are produced and so if they are left on fabric they are quickly absorbed like a spot of ink from a fountain pen. To me those black specs don't sound bb related. I would have said possibly flea droppings but these readily dissolve and turn red, so your test probably rules that out at least.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jan 21 2011 6:48:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, depending on the substrate, the bed bug droppings are absorbed or not and if not, then will bead up on the surface. The presumptive test for blood requires more than hydrogen peroxide for the chemical reaction, need phenolphthalein, too. I think I posted images some time ago of a test to demonstrate the color change to pink for a positive reaction on bedbugger.com, but maybe I didn't. It's been a while.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. victimized

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jan 22 2011 3:24:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your information and link regarding how to test these spots. Maybe I just was not looking closely enough or missed them but I noticed other tiny spots on the seat of the chair under the cushion, all near the back just before the cushioned back rest part starts. They are very tiny and more brownish. Am so disgusted right now... almost afraid to really try a more effective means for testing as I am afraid to see that they are actually fecal stains. I am left only to assume that a bug presence has entered these two chairs and is now manifesting even though i thought (hoped) they were safe.

8. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 23 2011 13:41:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The best way to get assistance on faecal trace signs or suspected marks is to post a picture so we can give some accurate input to your question.

If you don't have a camera that is capable of taking a picture in focus then I would suggest scanning it and then posting that image.

Without seeing an image is very difficult to help partly because faecal material can behave in slightly different ways on different materials as others have described.

If you can post an image it will help us all to help you.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

9. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 23 2011 13:52:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Google "Presumptive Blood Test Kit " and order one. While sometimes used by the pros, this kit is really great for us lay people who do not have the experience/knowledge to eyeball a fecal stain.

Very simply...

A negative result means no blood, therefore not bed bug related.

A positive result means the stain could be bed bug related or simply human blood from let's say a cut or skin condition.

Richard

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,649 posts in 49,518 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982