Fecal Stain ID Please - I'm afraid I already know the answer :(

(6 posts)
  1. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Oct 18 2012 9:34:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Please tell me if you think these are fecal stains. Unfortuately, I think I know what you are going to say.

mattress1 by picture account2012, on Flickr

I tried to make it larger:

mattress1 by picture account2012, on Flickr

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Oct 18 2012 10:12:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Can you please retake the pictures at 90 degrees to the spots as from that angle is not clear.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Oct 18 2012 10:30:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    Thank you for your response. Just as background, a PCO found these a little over a week ago. They are in a "flap" in the mattress where two part meet. You have to hold the two parts of the mattress open to see them. I promptly ordered Bed Bug Blue but have been too scared to test them myself. I have an appointment with the PCO this afternoon for another inspection/check and I am going to ask him to test them with the Bed Bug Blue. I was just trying to prepare myself. If you have time, could you tell me generally,

1. If there are bed bugs there and they went dormant (no one there for about two months) how long would it take them to become "undormant"?

2. If they are there, about how long could/would it be until we could find cast skins?

Thank you.

4. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Oct 18 2012 11:50:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I know how you feel about using the Bed Bug Blue. Trust me, I had to have a shot of whiskey and a cigarette before I could bring myself to test what I thought was a fecal stain (thank God it wound up being negative).

I'm sorry I can't answer your two questions, although I would think they would come out to feed fairly quickly. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will come along and provide some insight.

5. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Oct 18 2012 12:03:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you Buggy. The PCO did test the spots for me today and, unfortunately and sadly, they tested positive. The PCO found the spots a week ago but found no other evidence. So once they tested positive he inspected again and found no cast skins and no bugs. He advises not to begin treatment now and to just to continue to monitor. This freaks me out a little bit. (There is nothing on the BB Alert Passive Monitor - but it has only been on a week.)

Questions for the Pros please!

1. Would you begin, or have you began, treatment based on finding just fecal stains.

No one was in the residence for about two months, someone has been living back there for about four weeks now, so

2. If there are bed bugs there and they went dormant how long would it take them to become "undormant"?

3. If they are there, about how long could/would it be until we could find cast skins?

Thank you.

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Oct 18 2012 18:25:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

A low number of confirmed faecal and no other signs would not be enough to secure anything other than a green treatment by my standards.

It may be that they are old signs and not an indication of a current infestation which is also why no signs on the Passive Monitor.

Bedbugs do not remain dormant when food is available so will seek food as soon as it is available, in fact a hungry bedbug will often not wait till you are resting and may be seen outside of their normal pattern of hours.

If the bedbug that left the faecal is already an adult you will never find a skin because its already developed and thus has no need to cast off a skin. Please don't take this the wrong way but reading the FAQ's will give the facts in a clear format and ultimately reduces the stress of worry.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,190 posts in 50,134 topics over 155 months by 21,917 of 22,411 members. Latest: ij430jf, patbb, Peachyy92