Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Fecal on office chair?? Expert please :)

(10 posts)
  1. RNinNYC

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 1 2015 11:07:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all-
    Where I work, there are people with confirmed bed bugs at home and I've been taking precautions (bagging jacket, shoes, and bag- but not clothes that I'm currently wearing). There have been no sightings at work (and hopefully will never be). After having an issue almost a year ago, this has put me on hyper-alert. When checking my office (where these people sometimes spend time), I found lots of stains all over my chair. After scrubbing them with lysol wipes, most of them have washed off. They did not smear, but this is what was left behind. While I'm fairly confident that these are not fecal stains, for me to be comfortable in my office and not return to full out bagging mode, I'd love a confirmation that these are not fecal related. Thanks so much

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 1 2015 16:48:40
    #

Login to Send PM

On an office chair or any chair, fecal would generally be along the underside of the chair where the upholstery is attached to the chair.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. RNinNYC

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 1 2015 17:49:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Jim- It's actually hard to tell from this picture, but this is the chair turned upside down... but I see what you say about the stains- they are not where the upholstery is attached- it's not near any edges or corners. There were also somewhat similar stains on the top part of the chair, but those washed off completely with the wipes. The stains were also larger and this is what was left after I wiped and scrubbed them. Does that give you more information? There have been no bugs seen at work yet, but just trying to calm my nerves.

4. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Dec 1 2015 21:01:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Jim, thanks for the useful information in your posts. It's appreciated.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  5. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 2 2015 9:51:50
    #

Login to Send PM

You're very welcome. There used to be a lot of discussion regarding isolation versus optimization on this site. I've been able to solve a lot of bedbug situations without using interception devices. However, I had a recent job where I had to install the standard climb ups. It was for an elderly couple in a four unit building. They had set off numerous foggers and the bugs had dispersed throughout the bedroom, dining room and into the living room. We tossed some furniture and relocated the bed into the living room. I've learned that if you try to make homemade interception devices with plastic cups from the dollar store, the bedbug problem is going to get prolonged. The bugs just won't readily commit to going into the homemade devices. There is a design factor at work. I installed my traps next to the climb ups and both caught about an equal number of bugs. Of course, I've still had to go over there on a weekly basis and check the mattress and box frame. Keep in mind, a bed sheet could hit the floor and then the bugs could circumvent both products. I started the job on Oct. 17 and yesterday I could only find four bugs on the mattress and two on the box frame. And early on, there was a little bit of migration to the upper unit, but so far the other units in the building have remained bedbug free. It would be great if I could find some other pest control people to repeat my procedure elsewhere.

6. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 2 2015 10:04:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Just checked my notes. Started the job Oct. 21. And this place was loaded with them. Dec 1st was the most recent follow up.

7. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Dec 2 2015 10:14:23
    #

Login to Send PM

And I forgot to add that the bathroom is right off the bedroom, followed by the kitchen, dining room and then living room. I had a trap installed behind the toilet that caught over a dozen bedbugs. Bathrooms can be both a harborage location and a migration route. Especially after bombs have been used.

8. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 3 2015 19:42:24
    #

Login to Send PM

So, the glass bowl/dollar store method sometimes doesn't work? I've always been concerned about climb ups because I probably wouldn't retalc.

Killqueen had picture or videos once of a toilet seat filled with fecal. Please don't feel like you have to answer, but what kind of trap did you have behind the toilet? I would assume they would be on a wooden vanity but a lot of bathrooms these days have pedestal sinks.

Again, thank you. I may have to start a new thread so I don't hijack the office chair original poster, but the bathroom does have a seating area right

9. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Dec 3 2015 19:42:25
    #

Login to Send PM

So, the glass bowl/dollar store method sometimes doesn't work? I've always been concerned about climb ups because I probably wouldn't retalc.

Killqueen had picture or videos once of a toilet seat filled with fecal. Please don't feel like you have to answer, but what kind of trap did you have behind the toilet? I would assume they would be on a wooden vanity but a lot of bathrooms these days have pedestal sinks.

Again, thank you. I may have to start a new thread so I don't hijack the office chair original poster, but the bathroom does have a seating area right

10. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Dec 4 2015 8:28:57
    #

Login to Send PM

In multi unit buildings, I think the bathroom is underestimated as a harborage/migration route if someone attempts to self treat. In an empty unit, I often find bedbugs in the bathroom. Go to my profile to see it. I set the trap behind the toilet bowl.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

283,867 posts in 47,243 topics over 145 months by 20,836 of 21,126 members. Latest: pinkfoxes, Tomwilson28, aeb19