Fecal ID please!!

(7 posts)
  1. Sleepless2

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 11 2015 6:45:20
    #

Login to Send PM

So, we were fumigated 3 times. I never actually saw one or was aware of being bitten, but one of my flatmates had bites. They closed our local cinema down due to bed bug infestation and she was in there the night before she started with the "im being bitten at night" in her room. So like I say we fumigated 3 times. Last fumigation 2 weeks ago.
    Ive only over the last week taken things back out of the garbage bags to put back in my room.
    I woke up this morning with irritated skin. Not the feeling of being bitten as such, but tender areas of skin on my back and lower leg. Looked at my sheets, which were new on and spotless the day before...
    found a couple of marks, and I have attached the images. They were little dots I wet them and they made the stain. There are two photos of each stain. One of the stains you cant see so well and have to amplify. The other is two dots and I think the resolution is fairly good.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/136153318@N05/
    I have a microscope in the house so can examine these dots before wetting them, but don´t know how to ID bed bug fecal matter. Ive looked at the info on the site, but it´s not clear enough for me to ID from a microscope. Does anybody know what I can look for specifically in a microscope? Do these pictures look like fecal stains?
    Many thanks. I appreciate any help!!
    I dont want to have to fumigate again if not necessary.

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 11 2015 7:23:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry but I don't think you can tell for sure based upon these photos alone.

However, these photos are not consistent with what I normally see in the field as bed bug fecal matter if that helps.

This said, if you have BB concerns you'd be wise to maintain your vigilance.

pjb

3. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 11 2015 7:51:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I would check the stains with one of the three presumptive blood test kits you can buy at this site's Amazon store. A positive may not tell you too much, but a negative will rule out bed bug fecal and that's half the battle. Also, what do you mean when you say you "fumigated" three times. Did you do it, or hire a professional? "Fumigation" is a very specific process using Vikane gas and it would be highly unusual to use in an apartment. Hopefully, "foggers" were not used because they can actually make a bed bug problem worse, but then again, no reason to jump to conclusions that you have bed bugs.

Richard

4. Sleepless2

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 11 2015 8:35:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi and many thanks for the replies,

I live in Madrid, Spain so we called a company in, Byostasys and they fumigated..treated the apartment with first 2 different kinds of pesticides, and then on the 3rd time I think they added another one. What products they used, I don´t know. Its a year guarentee so they come out the number of times necessary. So you would think it were in their interest to do it properly. Although who can say..
    I can´t buy the fecal test kit in Spain, this is the problem. The companies that sell these products don´t sell to Spain. So I have to do work it out by myself..and with the help of bedbugger of course!

5. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 11 2015 9:07:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmmm . . . "bed bugs without borders" as it were . . .

A fed bed bug creates about one fecal stain per day. As such, as the days wear on, you will have more and more evidence to see if you actually have bed bugs.

Please don't freak out over every "is this a bed bug stain" thing that you see as there are many reasons that these items may become noticed over time.

What you need to do is conduct thorough inspections on a suitably times schedule which matches your actual bed bug risk whilst providing the needed comfort level for YOU.

OK?

Good.

Have a great day in Espania !

Sono tu amigo, Paulo Bello . . .

6. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 11 2015 9:52:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Sleepless:

I can´t buy the fecal test kit in Spain, this is the problem

Maybe these folks will ship to you. I'm less familiar with the "Hemident" reagent than the two test sold on this site's Amazon Store, but I'm guessing it will be OK, and you can always google it for study comparison. But remember, like all these kits, they can test positive for human blood as well, so the best use is to rule out bed bugs as a negative test is fairly reliable for no bed bugs.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Forensics-Source-Hemident-McPhails-Reagent/dp/B002802PZI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1444574059&sr=8-3&keywords=presumptive+blood+test

Richard

7. Sleepless2

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 11 2015 15:23:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks! i´ll check it out.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,643 posts in 50,005 topics over 154 months by 21,867 of 22,348 members. Latest: jaa5108, fightingback, Jenloaa