Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Fecal ID on Books

(6 posts)
  1. OutOutDarnBugs

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Aug 8 2019 8:08:51
    #

Login to Send PM

So, I'm moving into a new office because I got new job, and on Tuesday was organizing the countless books that the woman left behind. She was in the office for 20 years and had quite a collection. In the middle of a row of books on a shelf, I found a very old and dusty book. As I was moving this, I noticed some spots on the bottom of the book. In my moment of panic (I know, the worst way to handle the situation) I threw away the book in a ziploc, but I managed to get some pictures before:

Spots on book 1
    Spots on book 2
    Spots with coin for comparison 1
    Spots with coin for comparison 2

There were no marks/bugs/eggs on any of the other edges (this was the bottom side that was against the shelf), nothing inside, nothing on the books surrounding this one, and nothing on the shelf itself.

The spots are kind of a brownish color, not black (you can see the black of the book right next to them for comparison), but I was wondering if that's because they were just old? Who knows how long this woman had this book/where it came from before it was in her possession (I think it was published in 1969, so it may have gone from hand-to-hand before it ended up in my office).

Thanks for any help!

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Aug 8 2019 8:44:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

No, too diffuse and opaque.

As luck would have it there is an example image below:

Slide39 by David Cain, on Flickr

As you can see the way the stain bleeds down the edges of the paper is not the same either.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. OutOutDarnBugs

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Aug 8 2019 10:28:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh David, thank you so much. You are such a wealth of knowledge and expertise for those of us who are trying to understand more of what we're seeing!

The reason I started to worry is because I saw pictures like this online (knowing the dangers of going down the internet rabbit hole...):

Library Book
    Library Book 2
    Library Book 3

To my untrained eye, the first and second ones looked diffused in a way that was similar to what I found...

Any idea what these spots may be? I'd love to just let our facilities team know, so they can keep an eye on things/know what's going on in the spaces. Like I said, this book is probably pretty old, and I'm always passively monitoring (have one of your passives on my desk chair), but just wondering if there's another pest that could have produced this...

Thanks again!

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Aug 8 2019 13:05:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Take the second out of the bag and you will get a better image.

While the first is close its not typical presentation. I suspect that is someones bedtime "good book" and they actually read it, although not daily as evident from where the dried faecal has fallen off.

However the position of the marks on your example mean that while they look similar they mean different things.

Yes its a rabbit hole world and while we blindly burrow through it we don't see that the accuracy fails to increase the further we go.

David

5. OutOutDarnBugs

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Aug 8 2019 15:22:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, again! Totally understand what you mean about the second book in the bag. Can you explain a little more about the first book? It's just that bigger black spot on the top threw me for a loop! It looked so similar to what I thought I found! I thought maybe the spots on my book were just fecal that had dried and fallen off, too.

When you said:

However the position of the marks on your example mean that while they look similar they mean different things.

What does position of the marks on the book I found indicate? Just trying to make sure I educate myself for the future!

Thanks!

6. OutOutDarnBugs

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Aug 12 2019 10:43:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Does old fecal "fade" or does it stay just as black? If it dries up and falls off, does the remaining mark stay dark? Want to make sure that I know how to look at things in the future!

Also, David, you mentioned the position of the marks on the book. The spots I found were on the underside of the book (the side that was resting against the bookshelf). Did you mean that the position of the spots along that side helped to indicate that it wasn't caused by bed bugs? If so, what does the position actually mean?

Thanks!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,691 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82