(6 posts)
  1. justparanoidforgiveme

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Aug 14 2019 14:29:59
    #

Login to Send PM

*reuploaded, because something went wrong with last post*
    So, after watching a "book favorites" video on YouTube I learned you can find bed bugs in books. The person was weary of second hand book shops, because of "bed bugs, book worms, ugh ew!"

Then I started Googling and panicking, because I BUY USED BOOKS!

I became paranoid over the past few days deep cleaning and going through all of my books:
    - Threw out 1 I got about a month ago from Salvation Army, no bugs, but stains. TRASHED
    - Threw out 2 more that had a bunch of dirt and whatnot in between a page, no common fecal signs along the spines or edges of pages, they were pretty clean, but still, I'm paranoid and didn't want to chance it, so TRASHED

NONE of my books had any sort of bed bug signs, no casings, no bugs, no eggs, nothing, so I was relieved.

Never had bed bugs (I have found carpet beetles though). Never had any common signs of them, but did find some questionable spots..

https://imgur.com/a/yTPV5ss
    https://imgur.com/a/9hdpZIr

1) Are these brown spots on these scissors anything bed bug or bug related? They've been on my floor. No surrounding items have these dots, ONLY the scissors, which I also TRASHED.

2) Are these black dots fecal related? There were 5 of them in a line, on the underside of my wooden work bench, in this spot only. Came off with Totally Awesome cleaner, q-tip and a lot of pressure. Did not smear with saliva. Did not smear at all. No signs of bugs anywhere else, just these black dots.

*Sidenote: I am a "crafter" so these spots could be anything. However, with the black dots, I tested sharpie on the desk, started to come off but started to stain (gave up), and I tested paint, came off, but also started to stain (gave up again). These small dots did not stain (did not give up with these).

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Aug 14 2019 14:36:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The stains on the scissors are not bedbug related.

The marks are also not faecal which would have smeared easily with saliva.

It’s a shame the YouTube channel did not make the point clearer that looking means avoiding and not just switching to eBooks.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. justparanoidforgiveme

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Aug 14 2019 14:47:46
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 10 minutes ago  » 
    Hi,
    The stains on the scissors are not bedbug related.
    The marks are also not faecal which would have smeared easily with saliva.
    It’s a shame the YouTube channel did not make the point clearer that looking means avoiding and not just switching to eBooks.
    Hope that helps.
    David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

Hi, David. Thank you for replying! I am very relieved, especially since I had planned on selling some books this week!
    Question for you: would very old faecal marks still smear? That thought ran across my mind as well when I was cleaning.

As far as the channel, the person mentioned they had another video about why they didn't really shop at secondhand shops, tried to find it, but couldn't. Though in another video they mentioned they were germophobes and was also worried about all the bacteria or something. They also don't check out books from the local library anymore, but only checks out ebooks from them now.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Aug 14 2019 15:39:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi.

Faecal will always dissolve in saliva, even years later.

David

5. justparanoidforgiveme

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Aug 14 2019 17:48:51
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 2 hours ago  » 
    Hi.
    Faecal will always dissolve in saliva, even years later.
    David

Thank you.

6. justparanoidforgiveme

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Aug 15 2019 0:16:12
    #

Login to Send PM

For those of you reading this later, the black marks are years old and from a Sharpie marker. I did a cleaning test on the other old marks and it came off just the same.

Forgive me, I'm just paranoid. I was ignorant about these little bugs and any little thing caused a panic for me.

For those of you actually dealing with this, I wish you the best of luck and hope you are all bed bug free as soon as possible!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,691 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82